PICC Placement Experiences

cdale613

Hi All,

So, I'm in the middle of a home cleanout... its going pretty well.

I had a new experience with the PICC placement last week, and am very curiuos about protocols at other clinics, and what other people prefer. I'm not really looking for horror stories, but if you want to share, feel free.

This PICC was my first time having it placed in the Interventional Radiology department at the hospital. Compared to previous placements done bedside or in a standard outpatient room, IR was AMAZING. They kicked ass. Here's why:

I walked into the IR admitting area, changed from street clothes into a gown, and was wheeled into a cleanroom - looked and felt a lot like an OR. This room felt SO much cleaner than all previous experiences. I was also fully covered with a sterile sheet, which didn't happen in any other setting, and I generally felt that the level of caution concerning infection control was extremely high.

Placement was amazingly smooth. My other experiences with PICC placements did not have the number of tools available to the individual doing the placement. In addition to Ultrasound, the Dr used live action x-ray to make sure the line went in correctly. The skill level of the provider was amazing. He had an intern in the room with him, and the quote was "I can't really explain it, but I'm doing it by feel." I felt like I had the guy who is good enough to do it blindfolded.

Compared to past experiences that have hit nerves on insertion, felt generally uncomfortable, etc., this was excellent.

So... who else has had their placements done in IR?? How did it compare for you?

For reference, I'm most interested in adult protocols... with placement in the upper arm/armpit.... not child protocols with placement in the bend of the arm (elbow).

Thanks!

Chris

26m w/CF

cdale613

Hi All,

I had a new experience with the PICC placement last week, and am very curiuos about protocols at other clinics, and what other people prefer. I'm not really looking for horror stories, but if you want to share, feel free.

This PICC was my first time having it placed in the Interventional Radiology department at the hospital. Compared to previous placements done bedside or in a standard outpatient room, IR was AMAZING. They kicked ass. Here's why:

I walked into the IR admitting area, changed from street clothes into a gown, and was wheeled into a cleanroom - looked and felt a lot like an OR. This room felt SO much cleaner than all previous experiences. I was also fully covered with a sterile sheet, which didn't happen in any other setting, and I generally felt that the level of caution concerning infection control was extremely high.

Placement was amazingly smooth. My other experiences with PICC placements did not have the number of tools available to the individual doing the placement. In addition to Ultrasound, the Dr used live action x-ray to make sure the line went in correctly. The skill level of the provider was amazing. He had an intern in the room with him, and the quote was "I can't really explain it, but I'm doing it by feel." I felt like I had the guy who is good enough to do it blindfolded.

Compared to past experiences that have hit nerves on insertion, felt generally uncomfortable, etc., this was excellent.

So... who else has had their placements done in IR?? How did it compare for you?

For reference, I'm most interested in adult protocols... with placement in the upper arm/armpit.... not child protocols with placement in the bend of the arm (elbow).

Thanks!

Chris

26m w/CF

cdale613

Hi All,

Thanks!

Chris

26m w/CF

JazzysMom

My first 3 piccs were in my hospital room and one attempt at home. Allthough they were excellent about keeping things sterile....it was still my hospital room and my home. I was a bit overwhelmed the first time I had mine placed in the IR dept. I also wasnt impressed with the novacaine (sp?) injections versus the cream, but was happy with the actual insertion & use of equipment to avoid problems. I have gotten a bit use to it now, but its always so DAMN cold that they have me pinned down with blankets trying to keep me warm. The crew is usually the same group so they learn to know the CF patients. I loved the IV nurses who use to do it in the hospital room. They were great considering they were doing it totally blind, but it is what it is when you are doing it blindly!

JazzysMom

My first 3 piccs were in my hospital room and one attempt at home. Allthough they were excellent about keeping things sterile....it was still my hospital room and my home. I was a bit overwhelmed the first time I had mine placed in the IR dept. I also wasnt impressed with the novacaine (sp?) injections versus the cream, but was happy with the actual insertion & use of equipment to avoid problems. I have gotten a bit use to it now, but its always so DAMN cold that they have me pinned down with blankets trying to keep me warm. The crew is usually the same group so they learn to know the CF patients. I loved the IV nurses who use to do it in the hospital room. They were great considering they were doing it totally blind, but it is what it is when you are doing it blindly!

JazzysMom

barbc888

Hi Chris,

My last PICC placement (March '07) was with Interventional Radiology as well, and it went extremely well -- my best experience yet! It took less than 10 minutes to do, and everything was done with ultrasound and live action x-ray. The PICC was put in my left arm, about halfway between my elbow and armpit, more towards the inside of my arm, where the skin is more sensitive -- but it wasn't a problem. I had a PICC put in in Dec. '05 with IR, but it took about 40 minutes that time. But from now on I'll always go with the IR dept. -- they have expert tools, and the environment is so clean and sterile.

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Chris,

My last PICC placement (March '07) was with Interventional Radiology as well, and it went extremely well -- my best experience yet! It took less than 10 minutes to do, and everything was done with ultrasound and live action x-ray. The PICC was put in my left arm, about halfway between my elbow and armpit, more towards the inside of my arm, where the skin is more sensitive -- but it wasn't a problem. I had a PICC put in in Dec. '05 with IR, but it took about 40 minutes that time. But from now on I'll always go with the IR dept. -- they have expert tools, and the environment is so clean and sterile.

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Chris,

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

Sreh

Hi Chris,

I have had only 1 PICC done so far, that was after my Tx surgery. It was done in the IR also and placed in my left arm just under the armpit. I was nervous at first, but the crew that was prepping me was great. Just before starting they popped the radio on and asked what I would like to listen to, which helped me to relax a bit more. After they were done I realized this I got myself worked up over nothing. Would I want to go through it again, no, but I wouldn't haven't a problem if they felt I needed another one down the road.

Sreh

Hi Chris,

I have had only 1 PICC done so far, that was after my Tx surgery. It was done in the IR also and placed in my left arm just under the armpit. I was nervous at first, but the crew that was prepping me was great. Just before starting they popped the radio on and asked what I would like to listen to, which helped me to relax a bit more. After they were done I realized this I got myself worked up over nothing. Would I want to go through it again, no, but I wouldn't haven't a problem if they felt I needed another one down the road.

Sreh

Hi Chris,

summer732

I have always gotten my picc lines put in in the IR dept. All of the times were awful. But that was not their fault. My veins are actually too small for the needle and the size of the "tubing" that they woud use. So evertime they put the needle in and sort of opened the vein to thread the catheter through it was unbearably painful. And I have a high pain tolerance. Getting the Picc line put in was actually more painful than my transplant...no joke.

So you can imagine my aversion to having IVs put it...but last time I got sick in August I swear the IV nurse was an angel. she came into my room and used an ultrasound machine to put in a midline. All the while I was just telling her to give me valium to knock me out. She told me I didn't need it and she talked me through the entire process. Didn't hurt one bit! Probably because the catheter for the midline is smaller than the PICC. So I'll only do mid lines now and you better believe I have her card with her name/phone number written down in case I need one put in!

summer732

I have always gotten my picc lines put in in the IR dept. All of the times were awful. But that was not their fault. My veins are actually too small for the needle and the size of the "tubing" that they woud use. So evertime they put the needle in and sort of opened the vein to thread the catheter through it was unbearably painful. And I have a high pain tolerance. Getting the Picc line put in was actually more painful than my transplant...no joke.

So you can imagine my aversion to having IVs put it...but last time I got sick in August I swear the IV nurse was an angel. she came into my room and used an ultrasound machine to put in a midline. All the while I was just telling her to give me valium to knock me out. She told me I didn't need it and she talked me through the entire process. Didn't hurt one bit! Probably because the catheter for the midline is smaller than the PICC. So I'll only do mid lines now and you better believe I have her card with her name/phone number written down in case I need one put in!

summer732

JennifersHope

I have always had my PICC lines placed in by IR as well. I am not overly impressed with their skill to put it in, even with all the extra equipment they have... To me it depends on the person putting it in much more then it does where it is put it in.

I have had IR's put it in and get it in first try and I have had other IRS not able to hit the wide side of a barn no matter what...

I am turning into an anti PICC women and think for sure next time I need IVS I am just going to have a port put in.

JennifersHope

I have always had my PICC lines placed in by IR as well. I am not overly impressed with their skill to put it in, even with all the extra equipment they have... To me it depends on the person putting it in much more then it does where it is put it in.

I have had IR's put it in and get it in first try and I have had other IRS not able to hit the wide side of a barn no matter what...

I am turning into an anti PICC women and think for sure next time I need IVS I am just going to have a port put in.

JennifersHope

sue35

I agree with Margaret, I have had horrible experiences but it wasn't there fault, it was my veins. I always get them in at IR and they are great about it. The nurses are fabulous and they held my hand and told me everything that was going on.

sue35

I agree with Margaret, I have had horrible experiences but it wasn't there fault, it was my veins. I always get them in at IR and they are great about it. The nurses are fabulous and they held my hand and told me everything that was going on.