PICC Placement Experiences

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kybert</b></i>

when i had piccs [over 7 years ago] they were sheer hell. no local anaesthetic, no x rays, people who never insterted them before would insert them, no sterile rooms.</end quote></div>

Its a wonder you didnt lose an arm or worse!!! AYE!

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kybert</b></i>

when i had piccs [over 7 years ago] they were sheer hell. no local anaesthetic, no x rays, people who never insterted them before would insert them, no sterile rooms.</end quote></div>

Its a wonder you didnt lose an arm or worse!!! AYE!

ej0820

I've had a PICC placed in my arm twice down in IR, and once in my room by an IV team. The first time I ever got a PICC (this was in IR), the guy had to try about three or four different times. OUCH! One of those times, he hit a nerve and I felt this weird electric shock in my forearm. I kind of screamed and he let the head honcho do it. I think I had a newbe inserting his first ever PICC line. The second time down in IR it went beautifully...there was minimal pain, it was quick, and the guy this time seemed like had done a few PICC lines before. When I had it placed in my arm in my room, it went well although it took a little longer, but I liked the comfort of having the constant x-ray, cleanliness, and pace of getting done in IR.

ej0820

I've had a PICC placed in my arm twice down in IR, and once in my room by an IV team. The first time I ever got a PICC (this was in IR), the guy had to try about three or four different times. OUCH! One of those times, he hit a nerve and I felt this weird electric shock in my forearm. I kind of screamed and he let the head honcho do it. I think I had a newbe inserting his first ever PICC line. The second time down in IR it went beautifully...there was minimal pain, it was quick, and the guy this time seemed like had done a few PICC lines before. When I had it placed in my arm in my room, it went well although it took a little longer, but I liked the comfort of having the constant x-ray, cleanliness, and pace of getting done in IR.

ej0820

kybert

melissa, i did almost lose an arm! could have lost my life. rofl! remember the snapped picc incident ive talked about?

kybert

melissa, i did almost lose an arm! could have lost my life. rofl! remember the snapped picc incident ive talked about?

kybert

mare

I have a PICC line now. Its my second one. It appears that the experience of the people putting it in has a lot to do with it.
This Radiology team uses Ultrasound and fluroscopy to do theirs. It was practically painless. Our previous radiology group was not as good and had a reputation for not being able to hit the "broad side of a barn". (fortunately I had the inside story about the problems they were having )Thats when I refused to go to them and had either heplocks or midlines put in by nursing.
The PICC I have now did take a while to do, put they did warn me ahead of time that the PA did like to take her time and be really careful about what she was doing, so it was worth it. I did a lot of controlled breathing, trying to put myself somewhere else and get through it. All went very well.

mare

I have a PICC line now. Its my second one. It appears that the experience of the people putting it in has a lot to do with it.
This Radiology team uses Ultrasound and fluroscopy to do theirs. It was practically painless. Our previous radiology group was not as good and had a reputation for not being able to hit the "broad side of a barn". (fortunately I had the inside story about the problems they were having )Thats when I refused to go to them and had either heplocks or midlines put in by nursing.
The PICC I have now did take a while to do, put they did warn me ahead of time that the PA did like to take her time and be really careful about what she was doing, so it was worth it. I did a lot of controlled breathing, trying to put myself somewhere else and get through it. All went very well.

mare

Chaggie

've only had 2 piccs, last time in November and it was done th, what I am calling, regular way. I dindn't go to radiology, and didn't even feel mine.

Chaggie

've only had 2 piccs, last time in November and it was done th, what I am calling, regular way. I dindn't go to radiology, and didn't even feel mine.

Chaggie