Port Questions

gsplover

How many people here have Ports?

What made you decide to get it?

How long have you had it?

How many times a year are you on IVs?

I always get a PICC and wondering why my doctor has never suggested a port.

Thanks

gsplover

Thanks

gsplover

Thanks

gsplover

Thanks

gsplover

Thanks

gsplover

Thanks

mom2lillian

I will post my thoughts from the other thread titled "sweat under port". I love having it, I hated PICC's.

here is my thing on the port. I also get phlebitis fairly easy and after a few piccs my arm would just ache after a couple days. SOmetimes I woudl have trouble getting the meds to flow because the vein woudl clamp down and I woudl have to disconnect, force saline through (if I could) then start the IV again. The last PICC I stopped IV meds 2 days early because it was just shot and hurting and nothign would run. They still didnt want me to get a PORT, then thye sent out my culture and it came back showing I had suddenly gone completely resistant to levaquin, cipro and about 3 different IV meds including TOBI (btw the lab was a different lab that we no longer use, short story they screwed up!).

Soooo, I forced the issue and listened to them tell me No and insisted anyway. They said they woudl prefer for me to get 2-3 PICCS placed each time--no way! ANyway they said you only have so many sites you can use blah blah which is a valid point, your lung functions is so good you only need IV"s 1-2x a year, BUT I got it anyway and couldnt be happier. Once I set my mind to something might as well just give in !

I am trying to preserve this site as long as possible. Basically they can only do 2 sites on each side of chest (probably). If I can keep each site good for 5 years (hopefully more) than that gets me 20 years so if I am still around then I will just be thankful and wont be worried about having to have an arm port whcih is an alternative.

mom2lillian

I will post my thoughts from the other thread titled "sweat under port". I love having it, I hated PICC's.

here is my thing on the port. I also get phlebitis fairly easy and after a few piccs my arm would just ache after a couple days. SOmetimes I woudl have trouble getting the meds to flow because the vein woudl clamp down and I woudl have to disconnect, force saline through (if I could) then start the IV again. The last PICC I stopped IV meds 2 days early because it was just shot and hurting and nothign would run. They still didnt want me to get a PORT, then thye sent out my culture and it came back showing I had suddenly gone completely resistant to levaquin, cipro and about 3 different IV meds including TOBI (btw the lab was a different lab that we no longer use, short story they screwed up!).

Soooo, I forced the issue and listened to them tell me No and insisted anyway. They said they woudl prefer for me to get 2-3 PICCS placed each time--no way! ANyway they said you only have so many sites you can use blah blah which is a valid point, your lung functions is so good you only need IV"s 1-2x a year, BUT I got it anyway and couldnt be happier. Once I set my mind to something might as well just give in !

I am trying to preserve this site as long as possible. Basically they can only do 2 sites on each side of chest (probably). If I can keep each site good for 5 years (hopefully more) than that gets me 20 years so if I am still around then I will just be thankful and wont be worried about having to have an arm port whcih is an alternative.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

krisjohn53223

I love my port!! I had PICC's, central lines, you name it in the past and the port is the best!! I have had mine about 7 years and it works great. I had it placed on the side of my breast (below my armpit) so it was hidden. I can wear tank tops, swimsuits, and it was not visible at all in my wedding dress either!! Love it. I am on IV's about 3 times a year, I get it "flushed" once a month. It hurts a little, but you can use emla cream to numb it and you won't feel a thing. When it is accessed you can draw labs off of it as much as you want without worrying about it clotting. I was scared to get it a first, because it was just another permanant reminder on my body of CF, and I was paranoid about what my husband would think everytime he would see it or touch it, but he calls it my milkdud!! I love it!!

krisjohn53223

I love my port!! I had PICC's, central lines, you name it in the past and the port is the best!! I have had mine about 7 years and it works great. I had it placed on the side of my breast (below my armpit) so it was hidden. I can wear tank tops, swimsuits, and it was not visible at all in my wedding dress either!! Love it. I am on IV's about 3 times a year, I get it "flushed" once a month. It hurts a little, but you can use emla cream to numb it and you won't feel a thing. When it is accessed you can draw labs off of it as much as you want without worrying about it clotting. I was scared to get it a first, because it was just another permanant reminder on my body of CF, and I was paranoid about what my husband would think everytime he would see it or touch it, but he calls it my milkdud!! I love it!!