Portacath Removal

T

tarheel

I have a port scar where one was removed and one where one is now. The old one- if you really feel it its' kinda creepy because it feels like a hole where the port used to be, only a little smaller. Its a really strange feeling. But I think you know well enough to know that there is something there- and if someone else feels it and says so too, then, there's an issue. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. I feel your frustration (honestly, I do.)

T

tarheel

I have a port scar where one was removed and one where one is now. The old one- if you really feel it its' kinda creepy because it feels like a hole where the port used to be, only a little smaller. Its a really strange feeling. But I think you know well enough to know that there is something there- and if someone else feels it and says so too, then, there's an issue. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. I feel your frustration (honestly, I do.)

T

tarheel

<p>I have a port scar where one was removed and one where one is now. The old one- if you really feel it its' kinda creepy because it feels like a hole where the port used to be, only a little smaller. Its a really strange feeling. But I think you know well enough to know that there is something there- and if someone else feels it and says so too, then, there's an issue. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. I feel your frustration (honestly, I do.)

theLostMiler

Oh my gosh! That is ridiculous. I am surprised they didnt show you an xray automatically afterwards... although your experience if/when i get mine removed, I am definitely asking for an xray.

theLostMiler

Oh my gosh! That is ridiculous. I am surprised they didnt show you an xray automatically afterwards... although your experience if/when i get mine removed, I am definitely asking for an xray.

theLostMiler

MiniBlind1989

This is MiniBlind89.
For some reason I couldnt sign in on my original name.
So I made a new one...
Anyways I really want a xray. and have been wanting one from the time I woke up from the surgery.
I mean I thought it was gone until the next day.
The swelling has gone down enough to actually see the line to the central blood vessel I guess they say....Ive also heard jugular....but I can see it and feel it. At this point Im looking at my options. Because along with this which is the major thing Ive had nurses here on several times run a iv and have it clamped off the whole time. Ive had a nurse this morning tell me that the insulin I told her I needed wasnt right and she wasnt gonna do it so my bs at noon was 360. I had an xray tech come to my room last night telling me i need a stomach xray and then he figured out it was a wrong order and I was hoping he was gonna xray my chest......then later on last night I had a transporter come in my room asking if I was going home....which I wasnt....but now I feel like I shouldve just went with her. I want to take some action my first step is to find another hospital/doctor. but I really wanna let people know about this.

MiniBlind1989

This is MiniBlind89.
For some reason I couldnt sign in on my original name.
So I made a new one...
Anyways I really want a xray. and have been wanting one from the time I woke up from the surgery.
I mean I thought it was gone until the next day.
The swelling has gone down enough to actually see the line to the central blood vessel I guess they say....Ive also heard jugular....but I can see it and feel it. At this point Im looking at my options. Because along with this which is the major thing Ive had nurses here on several times run a iv and have it clamped off the whole time. Ive had a nurse this morning tell me that the insulin I told her I needed wasnt right and she wasnt gonna do it so my bs at noon was 360. I had an xray tech come to my room last night telling me i need a stomach xray and then he figured out it was a wrong order and I was hoping he was gonna xray my chest......then later on last night I had a transporter come in my room asking if I was going home....which I wasnt....but now I feel like I shouldve just went with her. I want to take some action my first step is to find another hospital/doctor. but I really wanna let people know about this.

MiniBlind1989

This is MiniBlind89.
<br />For some reason I couldnt sign in on my original name.
<br />So I made a new one...
<br />Anyways I really want a xray. and have been wanting one from the time I woke up from the surgery.
<br />I mean I thought it was gone until the next day.
<br />The swelling has gone down enough to actually see the line to the central blood vessel I guess they say....Ive also heard jugular....but I can see it and feel it. At this point Im looking at my options. Because along with this which is the major thing Ive had nurses here on several times run a iv and have it clamped off the whole time. Ive had a nurse this morning tell me that the insulin I told her I needed wasnt right and she wasnt gonna do it so my bs at noon was 360. I had an xray tech come to my room last night telling me i need a stomach xray and then he figured out it was a wrong order and I was hoping he was gonna xray my chest......then later on last night I had a transporter come in my room asking if I was going home....which I wasnt....but now I feel like I shouldve just went with her. I want to take some action my first step is to find another hospital/doctor. but I really wanna let people know about this.
<br />

ej0820

wow, and I thought MY port placement experience was bad! That really sounds like such a headache. Why isn't anyone ordering you a chest xray faster? Do they even have one ordered? When my port placement was if-y, I had three chest xrays in one day just to be sure the surgeon didn't screw something up or that it didn't flip or move. Are they just not concerned that you might have a new port? It's obviously not impossible, especially if someone else took a look at it and said with confidence that there was something there. It seems like things have been going super wrong in every direction, you'd think they'd start trying to cover ALL the bases with your care.
Ugh, hang in there, hopefully you'll get some answers soon!

ej0820

wow, and I thought MY port placement experience was bad! That really sounds like such a headache. Why isn't anyone ordering you a chest xray faster? Do they even have one ordered? When my port placement was if-y, I had three chest xrays in one day just to be sure the surgeon didn't screw something up or that it didn't flip or move. Are they just not concerned that you might have a new port? It's obviously not impossible, especially if someone else took a look at it and said with confidence that there was something there. It seems like things have been going super wrong in every direction, you'd think they'd start trying to cover ALL the bases with your care.
Ugh, hang in there, hopefully you'll get some answers soon!

ej0820

<p>wow, and I thought MY port placement experience was bad! That really sounds like such a headache. Why isn't anyone ordering you a chest xray faster? Do they even have one ordered? When my port placement was if-y, I had three chest xrays in one day just to be sure the surgeon didn't screw something up or that it didn't flip or move. Are they just not concerned that you might have a new port? It's obviously not impossible, especially if someone else took a look at it and said with confidence that there was something there. It seems like things have been going super wrong in every direction, you'd think they'd start trying to cover ALL the bases with your care.
<p>Ugh, hang in there, hopefully you'll get some answers soon!

MiniBlind1989

As much as I hound the nurses about this they dont seem concerned.
I didnt see a single doctor today even after I demanded to talk to the surgeon
about three times. I have no clue what the magic words are to get answers.
I dont care if tomorrow is sunday they will understand how much this bothers me
and I will get answers.

MiniBlind1989

I didnt see a single doctor today even after I demanded to talk to the surgeon
about three times. I have no clue what the magic words are to get answers.
I dont care if tomorrow is sunday they will understand how much this bothers me
and I will get answers.

MiniBlind1989

<br />I didnt see a single doctor today even after I demanded to talk to the surgeon
<br />about three times. I have no clue what the magic words are to get answers.
<br />I dont care if tomorrow is sunday they will understand how much this bothers me
<br />and I will get answers.
<br />

just1more

Matt, here is what you need to say:

1. Hit the call button and ask for the 'charge nurse' when someone comes ask if they are the charge nurse. If they saw no, then repeat your request. Don't discuss your concerns until you get the charge nurse.

2. Once you get the change nurse, tell him/her that you need to speak to the on-call attending. They will probably balk, refuse to negotiate. You will finally get a Dr are the nurse is legally obligated to call a Dr.

3. You will very likely get a resident, at most large hospitals, politely explain your concern. BUT tell them you still expect them to call the attending. Don't let them walk out of the room w/o a plan to address your issues.

The only way you are going to get the care you deserve is to demand it, politely, and not take no.

Tom