Ports

TestifyToLove

Our guy with a port has it on his right ribcage. His surgeon felt that was a better location for active little boys. And, I do like having it there. Our CF little guy used to have one under his left clavicle. I wish he still had it, especially given how traumatized he is about needles and their pain factor. But, the hospital staff caused it to get infected, septic and put him into MODs 2 years ago

TestifyToLove

Our guy with a port has it on his right ribcage. His surgeon felt that was a better location for active little boys. And, I do like having it there. Our CF little guy used to have one under his left clavicle. I wish he still had it, especially given how traumatized he is about needles and their pain factor. But, the hospital staff caused it to get infected, septic and put him into MODs 2 years ago

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

mom2lillian

I was trying to find the picture I have of mine since I think Emily's picture was very helpful but I can't find it and since mine is accessed I dont think it would be too helpful to picture it now (unless you are interested then I can just PM me).

Mine is about 4 fingerwidths below my collar bone and about 3 finger widths from my armpit. Before nursing you could see my scar (just a straight white line) but you could only see perhaps a slight bump if you were looking for it. Now that I have 'descended' in that area you can see the bump for sure but not through a shirt or anything like that. It does not get in the way of bras unless it is accessed and then it does for some of them. I have had mine 4.5 years.

The only negative to this area in my mind besides the bra thing is that the armpit area skin is so tender and I have sensitive skin so it can literally rip my skin off, I have found applying extra skin protectant to that area and alternating how I apply the tegaderm helps.

My two tips would be to make sure you ask for a low profile port mine is actually thinner than normal but you have to ask as they dont always have them on hand and to apply neosporin scar solution bandages while healing if you are self conscious about the scar it will help or if you scar easily like I do.

I did not know you could get one in your leg, I think that would ROCK and I will definately pursue that next.

mom2lillian

I was trying to find the picture I have of mine since I think Emily's picture was very helpful but I can't find it and since mine is accessed I dont think it would be too helpful to picture it now (unless you are interested then I can just PM me).

Mine is about 4 fingerwidths below my collar bone and about 3 finger widths from my armpit. Before nursing you could see my scar (just a straight white line) but you could only see perhaps a slight bump if you were looking for it. Now that I have 'descended' in that area you can see the bump for sure but not through a shirt or anything like that. It does not get in the way of bras unless it is accessed and then it does for some of them. I have had mine 4.5 years.

The only negative to this area in my mind besides the bra thing is that the armpit area skin is so tender and I have sensitive skin so it can literally rip my skin off, I have found applying extra skin protectant to that area and alternating how I apply the tegaderm helps.

My two tips would be to make sure you ask for a low profile port mine is actually thinner than normal but you have to ask as they dont always have them on hand and to apply neosporin scar solution bandages while healing if you are self conscious about the scar it will help or if you scar easily like I do.

I did not know you could get one in your leg, I think that would ROCK and I will definately pursue that next.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />Mine is about 4 fingerwidths below my collar bone and about 3 finger widths from my armpit. Before nursing you could see my scar (just a straight white line) but you could only see perhaps a slight bump if you were looking for it. Now that I have 'descended' in that area you can see the bump for sure but not through a shirt or anything like that. It does not get in the way of bras unless it is accessed and then it does for some of them. I have had mine 4.5 years.
<br />
<br />The only negative to this area in my mind besides the bra thing is that the armpit area skin is so tender and I have sensitive skin so it can literally rip my skin off, I have found applying extra skin protectant to that area and alternating how I apply the tegaderm helps.
<br />
<br />My two tips would be to make sure you ask for a low profile port mine is actually thinner than normal but you have to ask as they dont always have them on hand and to apply neosporin scar solution bandages while healing if you are self conscious about the scar it will help or if you scar easily like I do.
<br />
<br />I did not know you could get one in your leg, I think that would ROCK and I will definately pursue that next.

juliepie

I have had my port for almost three years now, and I haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood)! It's located in the middle of my chest, on the side of my left breast. At least there is enough tissue there that it's not TOO obvious, but it makes my cleavage a little lop-sided if I'm in a bathing suit or wearing a scandalously low shirt. It's not a location that is visible in every-day clothing, though, even when it is accessed.

juliepie

I have had my port for almost three years now, and I haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood)! It's located in the middle of my chest, on the side of my left breast. At least there is enough tissue there that it's not TOO obvious, but it makes my cleavage a little lop-sided if I'm in a bathing suit or wearing a scandalously low shirt. It's not a location that is visible in every-day clothing, though, even when it is accessed.

juliepie

juliepie

juliepie

moosemom

I think mine is about where Nicole's is (mom2lillian). I now have matching scars one on each side, because this is my second one. My port was absolutley the best thing I have ever done (related to CF).

I was on IV ABX for almost 2 years. I went through 4-5 picc lines before the first port. When I accidently pulled the last picc out, my doc said "how about a port". Go for it, I wish i had done it sooner... Initially some of my bras hit it the wrong way, so I went shopping. I have never had a problem with the seatbelt. I alway access it myself, no problem - Ii is even easy running meds and flushing it in public. I can almost always hide the scar and the port when not accessed, even is dressy clothes (I am too old for strapless so that is not an issue) and a halter bathing suit works great even when accessed. I have had this one 1.5 years and the first about the same. That one had to go because the port was infected, once it was out I was fine, I was fine even when it was infected because the bug was in the apperatice only. Hope this was helpful...

marci

moosemom

I think mine is about where Nicole's is (mom2lillian). I now have matching scars one on each side, because this is my second one. My port was absolutley the best thing I have ever done (related to CF).

I was on IV ABX for almost 2 years. I went through 4-5 picc lines before the first port. When I accidently pulled the last picc out, my doc said "how about a port". Go for it, I wish i had done it sooner... Initially some of my bras hit it the wrong way, so I went shopping. I have never had a problem with the seatbelt. I alway access it myself, no problem - Ii is even easy running meds and flushing it in public. I can almost always hide the scar and the port when not accessed, even is dressy clothes (I am too old for strapless so that is not an issue) and a halter bathing suit works great even when accessed. I have had this one 1.5 years and the first about the same. That one had to go because the port was infected, once it was out I was fine, I was fine even when it was infected because the bug was in the apperatice only. Hope this was helpful...

marci

moosemom

marci

moosemom

marci

moosemom

<br />
<br />I was on IV ABX for almost 2 years. I went through 4-5 picc lines before the first port. When I accidently pulled the last picc out, my doc said "how about a port". Go for it, I wish i had done it sooner... Initially some of my bras hit it the wrong way, so I went shopping. I have never had a problem with the seatbelt. I alway access it myself, no problem - Ii is even easy running meds and flushing it in public. I can almost always hide the scar and the port when not accessed, even is dressy clothes (I am too old for strapless so that is not an issue) and a halter bathing suit works great even when accessed. I have had this one 1.5 years and the first about the same. That one had to go because the port was infected, once it was out I was fine, I was fine even when it was infected because the bug was in the apperatice only. Hope this was helpful...
<br />
<br />marci