Ports

CowTown

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SaltyAndSweet</b></i>

From those who have a port, where is yours located and is it ever in the way of normal life? How long has your's lasted? Anything I should consider before getting one?

Being a very skinny woman I am hesitant to get one placed in the "usual" place on the chest because I think it would be very obvious and in the way of bras and seat belts (am I wrong?).

</end quote></div>

I waaaaay prefer a port to all the painful hassles of Piccs. I put off getting one for years and finally decided to get it in order to avoid all the pain of those Piccs. I'm happy I made that choice.

Mine is on my chest under the collar bone. I don't have much meat there either and was a little worried about it sticking out too. It does stick out a bit on me, but tank tops with a 1" strap totally hides the port on me. It's in the perfect spot for tank tops. Spagetti straps, you can see it. I've gotten to the point where I don't really care if anyone sees it though. I make sure to cover it up for work related stuff, but even after the past year of having it no one has actually asked me about it.

Mine doesn't get in the way of seatbelts or anything that I can think of right now. When your port is accessed (during the times you're on IVs) and you're doing your vest, you'll need to unstrap that shoulder for it to fit. When you're not on IVs and you're port is not accessed, then it's not in the way of your vest at all.

For me it hurt about 1 week after getting it put in, but after that I can't even feel it. I've had mine for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any trouble with it so far.

CowTown

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SaltyAndSweet</b></i>

From those who have a port, where is yours located and is it ever in the way of normal life? How long has your's lasted? Anything I should consider before getting one?

Being a very skinny woman I am hesitant to get one placed in the "usual" place on the chest because I think it would be very obvious and in the way of bras and seat belts (am I wrong?).

</end quote></div>

I waaaaay prefer a port to all the painful hassles of Piccs. I put off getting one for years and finally decided to get it in order to avoid all the pain of those Piccs. I'm happy I made that choice.

Mine is on my chest under the collar bone. I don't have much meat there either and was a little worried about it sticking out too. It does stick out a bit on me, but tank tops with a 1" strap totally hides the port on me. It's in the perfect spot for tank tops. Spagetti straps, you can see it. I've gotten to the point where I don't really care if anyone sees it though. I make sure to cover it up for work related stuff, but even after the past year of having it no one has actually asked me about it.

Mine doesn't get in the way of seatbelts or anything that I can think of right now. When your port is accessed (during the times you're on IVs) and you're doing your vest, you'll need to unstrap that shoulder for it to fit. When you're not on IVs and you're port is not accessed, then it's not in the way of your vest at all.

For me it hurt about 1 week after getting it put in, but after that I can't even feel it. I've had mine for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any trouble with it so far.

CowTown

</end quote></div>

CowTown

</end quote>

CowTown

<br />
<br />From those who have a port, where is yours located and is it ever in the way of normal life? How long has your's lasted? Anything I should consider before getting one?
<br />
<br />Being a very skinny woman I am hesitant to get one placed in the "usual" place on the chest because I think it would be very obvious and in the way of bras and seat belts (am I wrong?).
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I waaaaay prefer a port to all the painful hassles of Piccs. I put off getting one for years and finally decided to get it in order to avoid all the pain of those Piccs. I'm happy I made that choice.
<br />
<br />Mine is on my chest under the collar bone. I don't have much meat there either and was a little worried about it sticking out too. It does stick out a bit on me, but tank tops with a 1" strap totally hides the port on me. It's in the perfect spot for tank tops. Spagetti straps, you can see it. I've gotten to the point where I don't really care if anyone sees it though. I make sure to cover it up for work related stuff, but even after the past year of having it no one has actually asked me about it.
<br />
<br />Mine doesn't get in the way of seatbelts or anything that I can think of right now. When your port is accessed (during the times you're on IVs) and you're doing your vest, you'll need to unstrap that shoulder for it to fit. When you're not on IVs and you're port is not accessed, then it's not in the way of your vest at all.
<br />
<br />For me it hurt about 1 week after getting it put in, but after that I can't even feel it. I've had mine for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any trouble with it so far.
<br />
<br />
<br />

PepperKitty

I'm actually getting my port removed tommarrow. It's 5 1/2 years old. There is a hole worn in the line causing severe shoulder pain, if I use it & the medications are leaking into my tissue. It's kind of a bummer. I've been in the hospital the last week for a tuneup and the antibiotics haven't even been getting into my system. I thought my painful shoulder was muscular. I've had 5 or 6 ports. Most of them only lasted 1 year at most. I've had several get infected through the blood from my lung bacteria. Do I love ports? YES! They are wonderful! I'm getting a new port as soon as possible! I've had them on both sides of my chest. It's best to get them in the right side because they can "flip" easily in the left. Seat belts have never been a problem. The actual port bump doesn't show to much, but thr skin is very scared from needle pricks & the incision. Swimming suits are problem. I diffently recommend getting a port.

PepperKitty

I'm actually getting my port removed tommarrow. It's 5 1/2 years old. There is a hole worn in the line causing severe shoulder pain, if I use it & the medications are leaking into my tissue. It's kind of a bummer. I've been in the hospital the last week for a tuneup and the antibiotics haven't even been getting into my system. I thought my painful shoulder was muscular. I've had 5 or 6 ports. Most of them only lasted 1 year at most. I've had several get infected through the blood from my lung bacteria. Do I love ports? YES! They are wonderful! I'm getting a new port as soon as possible! I've had them on both sides of my chest. It's best to get them in the right side because they can "flip" easily in the left. Seat belts have never been a problem. The actual port bump doesn't show to much, but thr skin is very scared from needle pricks & the incision. Swimming suits are problem. I diffently recommend getting a port.

PepperKitty

PepperKitty

PepperKitty