Ports??

PoolShooter24

Im really looking for input on getting a port?? Would you wouldnt you? ive been in and out of hospital this year and i get so nervous and figity when it comes to pick lines that i tighten up and i am very small roughly 100 pounds 5'4"-5'5" so yea imagine how small that is i have lost weight tho so i plan on gaining more back. But do ports hurt. noticable, range of motion with it? can you do anything you want? how do the acces it for ivs? anything would be great
Thanks
Tyler

PoolShooter24

Im really looking for input on getting a port?? Would you wouldnt you? ive been in and out of hospital this year and i get so nervous and figity when it comes to pick lines that i tighten up and i am very small roughly 100 pounds 5'4"-5'5" so yea imagine how small that is i have lost weight tho so i plan on gaining more back. But do ports hurt. noticable, range of motion with it? can you do anything you want? how do the acces it for ivs? anything would be great
Thanks
Tyler

PoolShooter24

Thanks
Tyler

PoolShooter24

Thanks
Tyler

PoolShooter24

<br />Thanks
<br />Tyler

tesorotiffa

Tyler,

I just had my second port put in over the summer. If you are on ivs more than twice a year, I would say it is easier to have that immediate access. Once you have a port, you will be surprised at how big of a hassle having picc lines was! LOL.

The first one I had about 10 years ago was put in my upper right chest wall. It was not noticeable. There's a scar of course, but when isn't there!? It is not immobilizing in any way, and it shouldn't have any effect on your activities. Since you're smaller, they can put in a smaller port so it won't stick out as much as a larger one.

They don't hurt (atleast mine never has), and it only takes a day or two to recover from the surgery so you can comfortably do your CPT. I do the vest, and for a few days I used a lower pressure and put a washcloth over the port during. I think the standard after care procedure is that you will get it accessed and flushed with saline and heparin once a month. When you are on ivs you get the needle and dressing changed every 7 days.

There are several places you can get a port, but I've heard the easiest to access and etc. is in the chest wall. I would suggest one! :) Sorry if I rambled! ha.

tesorotiffa

Tyler,

I just had my second port put in over the summer. If you are on ivs more than twice a year, I would say it is easier to have that immediate access. Once you have a port, you will be surprised at how big of a hassle having picc lines was! LOL.

The first one I had about 10 years ago was put in my upper right chest wall. It was not noticeable. There's a scar of course, but when isn't there!? It is not immobilizing in any way, and it shouldn't have any effect on your activities. Since you're smaller, they can put in a smaller port so it won't stick out as much as a larger one.

They don't hurt (atleast mine never has), and it only takes a day or two to recover from the surgery so you can comfortably do your CPT. I do the vest, and for a few days I used a lower pressure and put a washcloth over the port during. I think the standard after care procedure is that you will get it accessed and flushed with saline and heparin once a month. When you are on ivs you get the needle and dressing changed every 7 days.

There are several places you can get a port, but I've heard the easiest to access and etc. is in the chest wall. I would suggest one! :) Sorry if I rambled! ha.

tesorotiffa

Tyler,

tesorotiffa

Tyler,

tesorotiffa

Tyler,
<br />
<br />I just had my second port put in over the summer. If you are on ivs more than twice a year, I would say it is easier to have that immediate access. Once you have a port, you will be surprised at how big of a hassle having picc lines was! LOL.
<br />
<br />The first one I had about 10 years ago was put in my upper right chest wall. It was not noticeable. There's a scar of course, but when isn't there!? It is not immobilizing in any way, and it shouldn't have any effect on your activities. Since you're smaller, they can put in a smaller port so it won't stick out as much as a larger one.
<br />
<br />They don't hurt (atleast mine never has), and it only takes a day or two to recover from the surgery so you can comfortably do your CPT. I do the vest, and for a few days I used a lower pressure and put a washcloth over the port during. I think the standard after care procedure is that you will get it accessed and flushed with saline and heparin once a month. When you are on ivs you get the needle and dressing changed every 7 days.
<br />
<br />There are several places you can get a port, but I've heard the easiest to access and etc. is in the chest wall. I would suggest one! :) Sorry if I rambled! ha.

crystalina0814

Hi!
I am going to be straigh forward with you.
I was terrified of getting my port, so much so that I put it off for years, dealing with the terrible pain of having PICCs placed- each PICC taking about 6-8 tries. I finally gave in this past October and I love it! The surgery went fine, my healing time was a little longer than 2 days though. I was in pain for about 5 days- more of a buring sensation that was constant (nothing pain killers didn't help though) It still is a little tender when bumped in the wrong way, mine is in my upper right chest. It is noticeable- I am 5'6" and about 125lbs. I love it though. I just went on IV's 2 days ago and it was pretty much- call the doc, send out the home nurse, and I was ready to go in about 12 hours- pain free thanks to the lidocaine cream they gave me! I will no longer be afraid to call in about antibiotics and I would happily go through the surgery again. I stayed awake for the surgery with only local anesthetics. I am a control freak and HATE the thought of being put under. Not bad at all, about a 45 min procedure. My scar is about 2.5 inches long, not bad, and mederma is clearing it up. I do have a problem with it itching lately, but I think it is from the scar healing.
Good luck in your decision making, but I think it is the right one when you are going through such an ordeal to get a PICC placed.
Let us know how it goes for you!

crystalina0814

Hi!
I was terrified of getting my port, so much so that I put it off for years, dealing with the terrible pain of having PICCs placed- each PICC taking about 6-8 tries. I finally gave in this past October and I love it! The surgery went fine, my healing time was a little longer than 2 days though. I was in pain for about 5 days- more of a buring sensation that was constant (nothing pain killers didn't help though) It still is a little tender when bumped in the wrong way, mine is in my upper right chest. It is noticeable- I am 5'6" and about 125lbs. I love it though. I just went on IV's 2 days ago and it was pretty much- call the doc, send out the home nurse, and I was ready to go in about 12 hours- pain free thanks to the lidocaine cream they gave me! I will no longer be afraid to call in about antibiotics and I would happily go through the surgery again. I stayed awake for the surgery with only local anesthetics. I am a control freak and HATE the thought of being put under. Not bad at all, about a 45 min procedure. My scar is about 2.5 inches long, not bad, and mederma is clearing it up. I do have a problem with it itching lately, but I think it is from the scar healing.
Good luck in your decision making, but I think it is the right one when you are going through such an ordeal to get a PICC placed.

crystalina0814

Hi!

crystalina0814

Hi!

crystalina0814

Hi!
<br />I am going to be straigh forward with you.
<br />I was terrified of getting my port, so much so that I put it off for years, dealing with the terrible pain of having PICCs placed- each PICC taking about 6-8 tries. I finally gave in this past October and I love it! The surgery went fine, my healing time was a little longer than 2 days though. I was in pain for about 5 days- more of a buring sensation that was constant (nothing pain killers didn't help though) It still is a little tender when bumped in the wrong way, mine is in my upper right chest. It is noticeable- I am 5'6" and about 125lbs. I love it though. I just went on IV's 2 days ago and it was pretty much- call the doc, send out the home nurse, and I was ready to go in about 12 hours- pain free thanks to the lidocaine cream they gave me! I will no longer be afraid to call in about antibiotics and I would happily go through the surgery again. I stayed awake for the surgery with only local anesthetics. I am a control freak and HATE the thought of being put under. Not bad at all, about a 45 min procedure. My scar is about 2.5 inches long, not bad, and mederma is clearing it up. I do have a problem with it itching lately, but I think it is from the scar healing.
<br />Good luck in your decision making, but I think it is the right one when you are going through such an ordeal to get a PICC placed.
<br />Let us know how it goes for you!

tleigh

Tyler,
I would highly recommend getting a port. As others have mentioned it really makes being proactive possible. It is no longer a real hassle to get going on IV meds and I have the freedom of doing most of them at home-away from new bugs that I could pick up in the hospital. There are occasions where it is noticeable but I have found that it really does not limit what I can do. In fact, I am hooked up right now in the comfort of my loft, sitting in a recliner-enjoying time with my hubby!

tleigh

Tyler,
I would highly recommend getting a port. As others have mentioned it really makes being proactive possible. It is no longer a real hassle to get going on IV meds and I have the freedom of doing most of them at home-away from new bugs that I could pick up in the hospital. There are occasions where it is noticeable but I have found that it really does not limit what I can do. In fact, I am hooked up right now in the comfort of my loft, sitting in a recliner-enjoying time with my hubby!

tleigh

Tyler,

tleigh

Tyler,

tleigh

Tyler,
<br />I would highly recommend getting a port. As others have mentioned it really makes being proactive possible. It is no longer a real hassle to get going on IV meds and I have the freedom of doing most of them at home-away from new bugs that I could pick up in the hospital. There are occasions where it is noticeable but I have found that it really does not limit what I can do. In fact, I am hooked up right now in the comfort of my loft, sitting in a recliner-enjoying time with my hubby!