Pre-natal Screening

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
They don't do carrier testing in our state, nor did we know that either DH and I were carriers. Because I was in my mid-30s, I did get the triple screen test for neural tube defects and downs; however, we were told that one had a high percentage of false postives, so we'd decided we weren't going to proceed with further testing (amnio) should the test come back as positive.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
They don't do carrier testing in our state, nor did we know that either DH and I were carriers. Because I was in my mid-30s, I did get the triple screen test for neural tube defects and downs; however, we were told that one had a high percentage of false postives, so we'd decided we weren't going to proceed with further testing (amnio) should the test come back as positive.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Transplantmommy

That's what my husband had to....the most common 30 I think and there are thousands of mutations. We were told that we still had a 1/900 chance that Brady would have CF so we were prepared. I am so sorry that you weren't. The doctors should really learn how to better inform people.

Transplantmommy

That's what my husband had to....the most common 30 I think and there are thousands of mutations. We were told that we still had a 1/900 chance that Brady would have CF so we were prepared. I am so sorry that you weren't. The doctors should really learn how to better inform people.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

AbbysMama

I was carrier tested, came back positive. DH was carrier tested, came back positive. We then debated about having amnio done or just watching through ultrasounds/sonograms to see if there would be any meconium issues. We opted for the amnio so we would know for sure, and so we could prepare.

I was never offered any pre-pregnancy testing or anything like that. I firmly believe now, and encourage all of my child-free friends to get genetic counseling when they get married to see what might be in the mix, not just for CF, but for anything that might be critical to know.

Hope this helps!
Em

AbbysMama

I was carrier tested, came back positive. DH was carrier tested, came back positive. We then debated about having amnio done or just watching through ultrasounds/sonograms to see if there would be any meconium issues. We opted for the amnio so we would know for sure, and so we could prepare.

I was never offered any pre-pregnancy testing or anything like that. I firmly believe now, and encourage all of my child-free friends to get genetic counseling when they get married to see what might be in the mix, not just for CF, but for anything that might be critical to know.

Hope this helps!
Em

AbbysMama

Hope this helps!
Em

AbbysMama

Hope this helps!
Em

AbbysMama

<br />
<br />I was never offered any pre-pregnancy testing or anything like that. I firmly believe now, and encourage all of my child-free friends to get genetic counseling when they get married to see what might be in the mix, not just for CF, but for anything that might be critical to know.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps!
<br />Em

cfguide

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Tiffado</b></i>

Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy...
...Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?</end quote></div>

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with pre-conception counseling and screening. I don't know how recently you had this unfortunate experience, but the Amercin College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)did issue recommendtions in 2001 in which they encouraged offering testing for CF status to ALL couples seeking pre-conception or prenatal care. You can read the recommendtions <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6299.html">here</a>, if you like.

In response to your question about why this isn't always being done, it is sometimes an insurance issue but usually not.Most insurances will cover genetic testing (at least the basic panel) these days. I think you are right on track with your assessment of doctors not being educated and not straying from old habits. Your story is a perfect example of the importance of increasing awareness about CF in th medical community as well as the general population.

cfguide

Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy...
...Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?</end quote></div>

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with pre-conception counseling and screening. I don't know how recently you had this unfortunate experience, but the Amercin College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)did issue recommendtions in 2001 in which they encouraged offering testing for CF status to ALL couples seeking pre-conception or prenatal care. You can read the recommendtions <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6299.html">here</a>, if you like.

In response to your question about why this isn't always being done, it is sometimes an insurance issue but usually not.Most insurances will cover genetic testing (at least the basic panel) these days. I think you are right on track with your assessment of doctors not being educated and not straying from old habits. Your story is a perfect example of the importance of increasing awareness about CF in th medical community as well as the general population.

cfguide

cfguide

...Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?</end quote>

cfguide

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy...
<br />...Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?</end quote>
<br />
<br />I'm sorry to hear about your experience with pre-conception counseling and screening. I don't know how recently you had this unfortunate experience, but the Amercin College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)did issue recommendtions in 2001 in which they encouraged offering testing for CF status to ALL couples seeking pre-conception or prenatal care. You can read the recommendtions <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6299.html">here</a>, if you like.
<br />
<br />In response to your question about why this isn't always being done, it is sometimes an insurance issue but usually not.Most insurances will cover genetic testing (at least the basic panel) these days. I think you are right on track with your assessment of doctors not being educated and not straying from old habits. Your story is a perfect example of the importance of increasing awareness about CF in th medical community as well as the general population.