Prednisone for my 7 month old baby

ashmomo

My daughter just came down with a cough and some wheezing. The clinic is calling in Prednisone and I have to pick it up later today. I have searched the forum and have not really found any info on this for babies.
Has anyone had to give this to their young child? Is there anything I should be aware of? Side effects/problems...
I am not even sure of the form it comes in. I did read that is can come as a concentrate, but normally a pill. I am suspecting hers will be the concentrate, hopefully! We do the Prevacid pill, but that dissolves easily in the water.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

ashmomo

My daughter just came down with a cough and some wheezing. The clinic is calling in Prednisone and I have to pick it up later today. I have searched the forum and have not really found any info on this for babies.
Has anyone had to give this to their young child? Is there anything I should be aware of? Side effects/problems...
I am not even sure of the form it comes in. I did read that is can come as a concentrate, but normally a pill. I am suspecting hers will be the concentrate, hopefully! We do the Prevacid pill, but that dissolves easily in the water.

ashmomo

ashmomo

ashmomo

<br />Has anyone had to give this to their young child? Is there anything I should be aware of? Side effects/problems...
<br />I am not even sure of the form it comes in. I did read that is can come as a concentrate, but normally a pill. I am suspecting hers will be the concentrate, hopefully! We do the Prevacid pill, but that dissolves easily in the water.
<br />
<br />Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

dasjsmum

really, prednisone...I really dont know to be honest, but it seems a little extreme? It's a steriod based drug I believe, but can have some serious side effects if you're on it for a length of time.

I wonder why they havent tried ventolin/albutal or similar first? I dont know you child's history, are there any mitigating issues?

dasjsmum

really, prednisone...I really dont know to be honest, but it seems a little extreme? It's a steriod based drug I believe, but can have some serious side effects if you're on it for a length of time.

I wonder why they havent tried ventolin/albutal or similar first? I dont know you child's history, are there any mitigating issues?

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<br />
<br />I wonder why they havent tried ventolin/albutal or similar first? I dont know you child's history, are there any mitigating issues?

ashmomo

She is already doing nebs:
Pulmozyme 1 time per day...just upped to twice for this cough
Albuterol 2 times per day...just upped to 3 for this cough
Hyper Sal 7% mixed w/ .9% (makes 3% I guess) twice per day

She cultured Pseudos about 3 months ago, and did 1/2 vial of TOBI twice a day for 28 days. Also took Bactrim for 2 weeks.

They said we did not need to do another round of TOBI. So that was left at that.

What is mitigating?

ashmomo

She cultured Pseudos about 3 months ago, and did 1/2 vial of TOBI twice a day for 28 days. Also took Bactrim for 2 weeks.

They said we did not need to do another round of TOBI. So that was left at that.

What is mitigating?

ashmomo

What is mitigating?

ashmomo

What is mitigating?

ashmomo

<br />Pulmozyme 1 time per day...just upped to twice for this cough
<br />Albuterol 2 times per day...just upped to 3 for this cough
<br />Hyper Sal 7% mixed w/ .9% (makes 3% I guess) twice per day
<br />
<br />She cultured Pseudos about 3 months ago, and did 1/2 vial of TOBI twice a day for 28 days. Also took Bactrim for 2 weeks.
<br />
<br />They said we did not need to do another round of TOBI. So that was left at that.
<br />
<br />What is mitigating?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Was it your CF clinic that prescribed the prednisone? DS once went to urgent care for wheezing, ear infection... and the doctor prescribed prednisone in a liquid suspension form -- prednisol?. I called the CF clinic in the City and his doctor said absolutely not for something as minor as wheezing and told us to "beat the wheeze" out of him. We upped CPT treatments from 3 times a day to 4 times a day.

I think DS doctor was concerned because it is such a strong medication and it can cause issues with blood sugar. It has it's uses, but his DS' case he didn't feel it was warranted.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Was it your CF clinic that prescribed the prednisone? DS once went to urgent care for wheezing, ear infection... and the doctor prescribed prednisone in a liquid suspension form -- prednisol?. I called the CF clinic in the City and his doctor said absolutely not for something as minor as wheezing and told us to "beat the wheeze" out of him. We upped CPT treatments from 3 times a day to 4 times a day.

I think DS doctor was concerned because it is such a strong medication and it can cause issues with blood sugar. It has it's uses, but his DS' case he didn't feel it was warranted.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I think DS doctor was concerned because it is such a strong medication and it can cause issues with blood sugar. It has it's uses, but his DS' case he didn't feel it was warranted.