prophylactic antibiotics - yes or no ?

MDad

have been advised by medical team to put our lpwcf on flucloxacillin for 2 yrs as a prophylactic antibiotic. worried that this could result in greater risk of culturing pseudomonas at an early stage. what are the experiences of parents with babies/toddlers in same situation?

MDad

have been advised by medical team to put our lpwcf on flucloxacillin for 2 yrs as a prophylactic antibiotic. worried that this could result in greater risk of culturing pseudomonas at an early stage. what are the experiences of parents with babies/toddlers in same situation?

MDad

MDad

MDad

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on one since he was a baby. Medical staff felt it was important to protect him from infections that could damage lung tissue -- staph and/or strep.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on one since he was a baby. Medical staff felt it was important to protect him from infections that could damage lung tissue -- staph and/or strep.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

hmw

Emily is a little older, but we only treat her staph when she is symptomatic (i.e. a 2 week course of Bactrim when she develops a secondary infection when sick w/ a virus), due to concerns about it becoming drug-resistant and/or increasing the chance of her colonizing PA sooner. We feel that acquiring PA earlier would do more damage than the usually-asymptomatic staph she colonizes.

None of us want to sit back and risk our children experiencing lung damage... it can be a hard call to make and their drs are likely to feel strongly about it one way or the other (studies have shown benefits to both approaches- treated kids do have less staph, but lung function tests, etc between treated and untreated kids are generally about the same). But all our kids treatment is so individualized and what works for one might be wrong for someone else. This is how we approach her care, though, and what I am comfortable with.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/11/16/32563.aspx">New clinical standards on the treatment of patients with cystic fibrosis</a>

hmw

Emily is a little older, but we only treat her staph when she is symptomatic (i.e. a 2 week course of Bactrim when she develops a secondary infection when sick w/ a virus), due to concerns about it becoming drug-resistant and/or increasing the chance of her colonizing PA sooner. We feel that acquiring PA earlier would do more damage than the usually-asymptomatic staph she colonizes.

None of us want to sit back and risk our children experiencing lung damage... it can be a hard call to make and their drs are likely to feel strongly about it one way or the other (studies have shown benefits to both approaches- treated kids do have less staph, but lung function tests, etc between treated and untreated kids are generally about the same). But all our kids treatment is so individualized and what works for one might be wrong for someone else. This is how we approach her care, though, and what I am comfortable with.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/11/16/32563.aspx">New clinical standards on the treatment of patients with cystic fibrosis</a>

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />None of us want to sit back and risk our children experiencing lung damage... it can be a hard call to make and their drs are likely to feel strongly about it one way or the other (studies have shown benefits to both approaches- treated kids do have less staph, but lung function tests, etc between treated and untreated kids are generally about the same). But all our kids treatment is so individualized and what works for one might be wrong for someone else. This is how we approach her care, though, and what I am comfortable with.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/11/16/32563.aspx">New clinical standards on the treatment of patients with cystic fibrosis</a>

just1more

My son is a bit older, but he is on prophy Zitromax (Azithromycin).

He takes it 3x/week, and we have actually seen some improvement in lung function.

Honestly I was surprised me as this is not what I would have expected and was worried about resistance.

Beyond that I can't tell you what to do but my 1st thought would be if you trust your Dr's, then give it a try.

just1more

He takes it 3x/week, and we have actually seen some improvement in lung function.

Honestly I was surprised me as this is not what I would have expected and was worried about resistance.

Beyond that I can't tell you what to do but my 1st thought would be if you trust your Dr's, then give it a try.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />He takes it 3x/week, and we have actually seen some improvement in lung function.
<br />
<br />Honestly I was surprised me as this is not what I would have expected and was worried about resistance.
<br />
<br />Beyond that I can't tell you what to do but my 1st thought would be if you trust your Dr's, then give it a try.