pseudomonas

My son is 19 months old and he cultured non mucoid pseudomonas for the first time. His pulm is starting him on tobi and an oral antibiotic. I understand that most with CF end up with pseudomonas at some point. For those of you with experience with this nasty bacteria, is this an early age to culture this? Does anyone have stats on the success rate of the antibiotics? Any other information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My son is 19 months old and he cultured non mucoid pseudomonas for the first time. His pulm is starting him on tobi and an oral antibiotic. I understand that most with CF end up with pseudomonas at some point. For those of you with experience with this nasty bacteria, is this an early age to culture this? Does anyone have stats on the success rate of the antibiotics? Any other information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sue35

I can't answer related to stats but I can tell you that I cultured it the moment I was diagnosed at 5 and have had it ever since. I rotate between Cipro and Levaquin orally when I am sick. I am technically immune to Cipro but it still works so I don't believe the test. I am 25 now and they still work for me. While it is a bad bacteria I don't feel I am too worse for the wear for having it.

sue35

I can't answer related to stats but I can tell you that I cultured it the moment I was diagnosed at 5 and have had it ever since. I rotate between Cipro and Levaquin orally when I am sick. I am technically immune to Cipro but it still works so I don't believe the test. I am 25 now and they still work for me. While it is a bad bacteria I don't feel I am too worse for the wear for having it.

sue35

sue35

sue35

izemmom

Emily cultured PA on her very first culture, about 2 weeks after leaving the NICU. She was not yet 2 months old. She immediately went on TOBI. I do not recall that there was an oral anti at that time. Our pulmo explained that some docs wouldn't even treat PA in an infant (????!!!!????) but that she was going to be agressive and put her on TOBI 28on/28 off until we had 2 consecutive clear cultures. It took us 4 cycles, but by the time she was 9 months old, she was PA free and has been ever since. Out pulmo seemed to feel that if we kicked it early there was a slim chance it would return, and least for a long, long time. I am skeptical of that, and hold my breath until the culture comes back each clinic visit.

Sorry, I don't have exact stats for you, but I can say that TOBI worked for us! Best wishes to you and your little guy! I'll hope for the same results for you!

izemmom

Emily cultured PA on her very first culture, about 2 weeks after leaving the NICU. She was not yet 2 months old. She immediately went on TOBI. I do not recall that there was an oral anti at that time. Our pulmo explained that some docs wouldn't even treat PA in an infant (????!!!!????) but that she was going to be agressive and put her on TOBI 28on/28 off until we had 2 consecutive clear cultures. It took us 4 cycles, but by the time she was 9 months old, she was PA free and has been ever since. Out pulmo seemed to feel that if we kicked it early there was a slim chance it would return, and least for a long, long time. I am skeptical of that, and hold my breath until the culture comes back each clinic visit.

Sorry, I don't have exact stats for you, but I can say that TOBI worked for us! Best wishes to you and your little guy! I'll hope for the same results for you!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

purplemartin

Briceton (16 mos.) cultured pseudo for the first time about 6 weeks ago. Our clinic is very aggressive with pseudo, admitting you for IV antibiotics the first positive culture, even without symptoms. From that point forward, treating only with oral antibiotics and Tobi every other month. If you are having symptoms, with future cultures, then they will admitt you again for IV therapy......always!

purplemartin

Briceton (16 mos.) cultured pseudo for the first time about 6 weeks ago. Our clinic is very aggressive with pseudo, admitting you for IV antibiotics the first positive culture, even without symptoms. From that point forward, treating only with oral antibiotics and Tobi every other month. If you are having symptoms, with future cultures, then they will admitt you again for IV therapy......always!

purplemartin

purplemartin

purplemartin