Pulmozyme-dornase alfa recombinant

karenanne99

Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on pulmozyme(dornase alfa recombinant) for me. I have recently been prescribed to use it once a day in my aerosol. The doctors had not told me much information about it but I do know that it is supposed to thin mucus so it is easier to bring up. Has anyone else used this medication and had success? It is a VERY expensive drug which is not covered under the Canadian CF Drug Plan so I would like to know if it is a worth-while med to be on? Thanks Alot guys, Karen

karenanne99

Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on pulmozyme(dornase alfa recombinant) for me. I have recently been prescribed to use it once a day in my aerosol. The doctors had not told me much information about it but I do know that it is supposed to thin mucus so it is easier to bring up. Has anyone else used this medication and had success? It is a VERY expensive drug which is not covered under the Canadian CF Drug Plan so I would like to know if it is a worth-while med to be on? Thanks Alot guys, Karen

karenanne99

Hey Everyone,

Mockingbird

I've found hypertonic sailine to be much cheaper and much more effective for bringing mucus up. Pulmozyme, however, is actually an enzyme that breaks up the mucus rather than simply thining it out, so for some people it is necessary.

Mockingbird

I've found hypertonic sailine to be much cheaper and much more effective for bringing mucus up. Pulmozyme, however, is actually an enzyme that breaks up the mucus rather than simply thining it out, so for some people it is necessary.

Mockingbird

Diane

I have been on Pulmozyme for years now and i really like it. It makes a difference for me. I know not everyone likes it or sees a difference while using it, But i definitely see a difference on the days that i miss a dose, so i know it works for me. Unfortunately the only way you will know if it works and benefits you is to try it. I know its expensive ,but i am hoping someone on here may know if there are any resources to help you with the cost.

Diane

I have been on Pulmozyme for years now and i really like it. It makes a difference for me. I know not everyone likes it or sees a difference while using it, But i definitely see a difference on the days that i miss a dose, so i know it works for me. Unfortunately the only way you will know if it works and benefits you is to try it. I know its expensive ,but i am hoping someone on here may know if there are any resources to help you with the cost.

Diane

coltsfan715

I take pulmozyme and have taken it for over a decade now. I personally see the benefits of taking it and am able to tell a difference when I do not take it. I do understand how it would be difficult to pay for if my insurance did not cover it.

Can you ask your doctor about Mucomyst? Maybe Mucomyst would be covered on the Canadian CF Drug Plan. If it is that would be something I would look into. I have heard many good things about Mucomyst, but am not taking it personally.

Hypertonic Saline is good also but it works differently than Pulmozyme. I personally notice that I cough more up with the Saline, but the pulmozyme thins it out a bit by breaking it down - while the saline makes it more moist/fluid by pulling water into the secretion.

Hope you get it all worked out.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I take pulmozyme and have taken it for over a decade now. I personally see the benefits of taking it and am able to tell a difference when I do not take it. I do understand how it would be difficult to pay for if my insurance did not cover it.

Can you ask your doctor about Mucomyst? Maybe Mucomyst would be covered on the Canadian CF Drug Plan. If it is that would be something I would look into. I have heard many good things about Mucomyst, but am not taking it personally.

Hypertonic Saline is good also but it works differently than Pulmozyme. I personally notice that I cough more up with the Saline, but the pulmozyme thins it out a bit by breaking it down - while the saline makes it more moist/fluid by pulling water into the secretion.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

thelizardqueen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>karenanne99</b></i>

It is a VERY expensive drug which is not covered under the Canadian CF Drug Plan</end quote></div>

What part of Canada are you from? The only reason I ask, is because I'm from Manitoba and it is covered for me. I started taking it just over a month ago, and I find I'm coughing up a lot more then before, and that my chest is less tight. I'm hoping that it will also improve my PFTs, but I won't know that till my next clinic visit in January.

thelizardqueen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>karenanne99</b></i>

It is a VERY expensive drug which is not covered under the Canadian CF Drug Plan</end quote></div>

What part of Canada are you from? The only reason I ask, is because I'm from Manitoba and it is covered for me. I started taking it just over a month ago, and I find I'm coughing up a lot more then before, and that my chest is less tight. I'm hoping that it will also improve my PFTs, but I won't know that till my next clinic visit in January.

thelizardqueen

NoExcuses

A great place to find information on any drug is its prescribing information. It will always shed light on the purpose of the drug, clinical trials tha have been conducted, side effect profile, etc.

Pulmozyme's US prescribing information is located at

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.pulmozyme.com/patient/u_1_pulmozyme_prescribing_information.jsp">http://www.pulmozyme.com/patie...ribing_information.jsp</a>

NoExcuses

A great place to find information on any drug is its prescribing information. It will always shed light on the purpose of the drug, clinical trials tha have been conducted, side effect profile, etc.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.pulmozyme.com/patient/u_1_pulmozyme_prescribing_information.jsp">http://www.pulmozyme.com/patie...ribing_information.jsp</a>

NoExcuses

karenanne99

Hey Sorry I had wrote the "canadian Cf plan"

Lizardqueen
i am from prince edward island and i should have said the provencial cf plan...sorry my bad!! We just found out yesterday that the provincial gov is going to pay a big portion of the cost so thats pretty good!

karenanne99

Hey Sorry I had wrote the "canadian Cf plan"

Lizardqueen
i am from prince edward island and i should have said the provencial cf plan...sorry my bad!! We just found out yesterday that the provincial gov is going to pay a big portion of the cost so thats pretty good!