Pulmozyme yes or no

cfgirl1992

I have been Pulmozyme for about 10 years. I have never had a problem with it. Most medications have some scary,side effects but most harmful side effects are very rare or they would never pass colinical trials and the FDA.

cfgirl1992

I have been Pulmozyme for about 10 years. I have never had a problem with it. Most medications have some scary,side effects but most harmful side effects are very rare or they would never pass colinical trials and the FDA.

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

RiverRat

My son is 22 months and has been on Pulmozyme for the last 15 months without interuption. When we started it he was 6 months and used it on an as needed basis. Basically just when he was sick. I have noticed he does much better on Pulmozyme. His lungs are more clear now than at 6 months. We have been very thankful for it.

Good luck with your decision

RiverRat

My son is 22 months and has been on Pulmozyme for the last 15 months without interuption. When we started it he was 6 months and used it on an as needed basis. Basically just when he was sick. I have noticed he does much better on Pulmozyme. His lungs are more clear now than at 6 months. We have been very thankful for it.

RiverRat

RiverRat

RiverRat

<br />
<br />Good luck with your decision

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lety,

I would second what Liza mentioned about virtually every medication having potentially negative side effects. I also completely understand why this is a hard decision for you. She currently has no respiratory involvement, so you're wondering if it's worth the risk. Have you had a conversation with doctor about the benefit vs. risk of possible side effects?

I started Pulmozyme in 1994, basically as soon as it came on the market. I guess if I do the math I've been using it for around 16 years. I don't have diabetes nor have I had cardiovascular problems. I've never noticed any negative side effects. I already had lung involvement when I started using it, so it was a no-brainer. For me the benefits clearly outweigh the risk. We were just excited to have new med in our arsenal and I remember feeling so much better after starting it.

Unfortunately I feel like I wasn't a ton of help to you but wanted to share my personal experience with Pulmozyme with you.

I understand the dilemma you're in. I also just want to add that you are doing a great job of advocating for, and looking out for the best interest of your child. This can all be so scary and confusing and sometimes there is no clearly right or wrong decision.

Take Care

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lety,

I would second what Liza mentioned about virtually every medication having potentially negative side effects. I also completely understand why this is a hard decision for you. She currently has no respiratory involvement, so you're wondering if it's worth the risk. Have you had a conversation with doctor about the benefit vs. risk of possible side effects?

I started Pulmozyme in 1994, basically as soon as it came on the market. I guess if I do the math I've been using it for around 16 years. I don't have diabetes nor have I had cardiovascular problems. I've never noticed any negative side effects. I already had lung involvement when I started using it, so it was a no-brainer. For me the benefits clearly outweigh the risk. We were just excited to have new med in our arsenal and I remember feeling so much better after starting it.

Unfortunately I feel like I wasn't a ton of help to you but wanted to share my personal experience with Pulmozyme with you.

I understand the dilemma you're in. I also just want to add that you are doing a great job of advocating for, and looking out for the best interest of your child. This can all be so scary and confusing and sometimes there is no clearly right or wrong decision.

Take Care

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lety,

Take Care

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lety,

Take Care

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lety,
<br />
<br />I would second what Liza mentioned about virtually every medication having potentially negative side effects. I also completely understand why this is a hard decision for you. She currently has no respiratory involvement, so you're wondering if it's worth the risk. Have you had a conversation with doctor about the benefit vs. risk of possible side effects?
<br />
<br />I started Pulmozyme in 1994, basically as soon as it came on the market. I guess if I do the math I've been using it for around 16 years. I don't have diabetes nor have I had cardiovascular problems. I've never noticed any negative side effects. I already had lung involvement when I started using it, so it was a no-brainer. For me the benefits clearly outweigh the risk. We were just excited to have new med in our arsenal and I remember feeling so much better after starting it.
<br />
<br />Unfortunately I feel like I wasn't a ton of help to you but wanted to share my personal experience with Pulmozyme with you.
<br />
<br />I understand the dilemma you're in. I also just want to add that you are doing a great job of advocating for, and looking out for the best interest of your child. This can all be so scary and confusing and sometimes there is no clearly right or wrong decision.
<br />
<br />Take Care
<br />

M

mneville

We had the same issue deciding about Pulmozyne. We asked that Aidan be put on it at age 1 to avoid lung involvement. We started it 1x a day. I never noticed a difference. At age 2 we went to Minnesota where they live on average 12 years more and they very rarely used Pulmozyne. They use something called Mucomyst. So we begged our doc and we switched. Aidan does great with that, he's 5 now.

I think Pulmozyne works for some and Aidan has used it from time to time and once during a bronch. But we have noticed overall it doing very little for him so we stopped. It's a hard decision. Look into Mucomyst- an older drug but very effective for most!

Megan

M

mneville

We had the same issue deciding about Pulmozyne. We asked that Aidan be put on it at age 1 to avoid lung involvement. We started it 1x a day. I never noticed a difference. At age 2 we went to Minnesota where they live on average 12 years more and they very rarely used Pulmozyne. They use something called Mucomyst. So we begged our doc and we switched. Aidan does great with that, he's 5 now.

I think Pulmozyne works for some and Aidan has used it from time to time and once during a bronch. But we have noticed overall it doing very little for him so we stopped. It's a hard decision. Look into Mucomyst- an older drug but very effective for most!

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />I think Pulmozyne works for some and Aidan has used it from time to time and once during a bronch. But we have noticed overall it doing very little for him so we stopped. It's a hard decision. Look into Mucomyst- an older drug but very effective for most!
<br />
<br />Megan