Pulmozyme yes or no

hmw

Emily started Pulmazyme a few months ago. At the 3mo point, her pft's had increased well over 10% from what her average had been for the year prior to starting it and she coughs a tremendous amount now while vesting. She also didn't get overly sick the last time a cold was in the house- for the first time in I don't even know how long! I am very glad she's started it.

As far as why she started when she did: She'd started showing some mild signs of respiratory involvement on a more chronic basis in the months before starting. We'd considered starting a while before we did but there was something else new we were doing (starting meds for asthma symptoms) and we didn't want to make several changes all at once. Based on the discussions we had about it prior to her starting it, our clinic has most kids by around age 6 on it; starting younger if they develop symptoms of pulmonary involvement.

I agree with what's already been posted: all the meds our kids take have extensive lists of potential adverse reactions associated with them. We have to be vigilant, esp when they start something new, and never hesitate to take our concerns to their doctors. Staying long-term on a med that proves to be useless makes little sense as well; it often takes a lot of switching around to find the best combination of things to gain the best results (so open-minded drs are key!) But considering the benefits vs. risks is so important. Preserving lung function while disease is still mild is so much easier to do than damage control later when the disease is more advanced.

hmw

Emily started Pulmazyme a few months ago. At the 3mo point, her pft's had increased well over 10% from what her average had been for the year prior to starting it and she coughs a tremendous amount now while vesting. She also didn't get overly sick the last time a cold was in the house- for the first time in I don't even know how long! I am very glad she's started it.

As far as why she started when she did: She'd started showing some mild signs of respiratory involvement on a more chronic basis in the months before starting. We'd considered starting a while before we did but there was something else new we were doing (starting meds for asthma symptoms) and we didn't want to make several changes all at once. Based on the discussions we had about it prior to her starting it, our clinic has most kids by around age 6 on it; starting younger if they develop symptoms of pulmonary involvement.

I agree with what's already been posted: all the meds our kids take have extensive lists of potential adverse reactions associated with them. We have to be vigilant, esp when they start something new, and never hesitate to take our concerns to their doctors. Staying long-term on a med that proves to be useless makes little sense as well; it often takes a lot of switching around to find the best combination of things to gain the best results (so open-minded drs are key!) But considering the benefits vs. risks is so important. Preserving lung function while disease is still mild is so much easier to do than damage control later when the disease is more advanced.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />As far as why she started when she did: She'd started showing some mild signs of respiratory involvement on a more chronic basis in the months before starting. We'd considered starting a while before we did but there was something else new we were doing (starting meds for asthma symptoms) and we didn't want to make several changes all at once. Based on the discussions we had about it prior to her starting it, our clinic has most kids by around age 6 on it; starting younger if they develop symptoms of pulmonary involvement.
<br />
<br />I agree with what's already been posted: all the meds our kids take have extensive lists of potential adverse reactions associated with them. We have to be vigilant, esp when they start something new, and never hesitate to take our concerns to their doctors. Staying long-term on a med that proves to be useless makes little sense as well; it often takes a lot of switching around to find the best combination of things to gain the best results (so open-minded drs are key!) But considering the benefits vs. risks is so important. Preserving lung function while disease is still mild is so much easier to do than damage control later when the disease is more advanced.

Mom2Max

I had put off Pulmozyme as long as I could because I too was afraid of the side effects. However, Max had gotten a cold in December that included a cough that wouldn't go away despite adding albuterol, extra vest & antibiotics (though his x-ray was clear). At his last clinic, the doctor suggested starting Pulmozyme. Fortunately Max's cough was gone within a day or so of starting it & there haven't been any side effects thus far. I totally agree with the other posters about weighing benefit vs. risk. It just stinks having to make these type of choices ... i.e choosing the lesser evil ... I think that I'd like no evil!!!

Mom2Max

I had put off Pulmozyme as long as I could because I too was afraid of the side effects. However, Max had gotten a cold in December that included a cough that wouldn't go away despite adding albuterol, extra vest & antibiotics (though his x-ray was clear). At his last clinic, the doctor suggested starting Pulmozyme. Fortunately Max's cough was gone within a day or so of starting it & there haven't been any side effects thus far. I totally agree with the other posters about weighing benefit vs. risk. It just stinks having to make these type of choices ... i.e choosing the lesser evil ... I think that I'd like no evil!!!

Mom2Max

Mom2Max

Mom2Max

Sakem

I have never worried about the safety of Pulmozyme. While I personally can't see a difference it makes it my child, I will not stop using it, because I know what it does for CF mucus. That being said, I have often wondered if long term use of pulmozyme can or will be tied to the cause of lung bleeds.

Sakem

I have never worried about the safety of Pulmozyme. While I personally can't see a difference it makes it my child, I will not stop using it, because I know what it does for CF mucus. That being said, I have often wondered if long term use of pulmozyme can or will be tied to the cause of lung bleeds.

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've been taking pulmozyme for about 17 years and never had any negative side affects. i know some people that are prone to lung bleeds tend to stay off it or not use it for a while after a bleed but I haven't had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure if we read all the side affects of all the meds we take we would never want to take any!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've been taking pulmozyme for about 17 years and never had any negative side affects. i know some people that are prone to lung bleeds tend to stay off it or not use it for a while after a bleed but I haven't had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure if we read all the side affects of all the meds we take we would never want to take any!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />