Pushing Yourself To Far? Please Help!!

baco623

I am currently in the process of trying to get more excersize done in order to raise my pulminary function (currently my pulminary function is between 35% and 40%. I am a naturally very very competitive person and am extremely hard on myself and I find that I don't know when I have pushed myself to far. I know my pulminary function is low but I still want to do as much as I possibly can. My question is as a person with cystic firbsois how do you know when you have pushed yourself to far? Is there a specific feeling in your lungs that you are supposed to feel when you've gone to far? Are your lungs supposed to burn when you have pushed yourself to far? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What do your various doctors say?

Also at the same time how much do you excersize? Is it super bad that I can't run cause of my joints are so bad? I'm not totally sure what I should be doing in terms of my excersize!!

Any further information would really really really help!!

Annie

CF since I was born/CFRD since I was 13/ double lung tx on 9/3/2010

kyeev

I played soccer up until last year.
My lung function has now dropped to 35% and if I push myself too much I get thumping headaches due to prolonged oxygen desaturation below 90%.
So my physio advised me to give up the soccer and go walking instead.
So I imagine, if you're doing exercise and not getting headaches, then you are fine to continue.
If you are getting headaches, then you may have to tone it down and take it a bit easier.

Twistofchaos

Indeed headaches, lack of clarity, tingly and tunnelvision. And for me the heart is also a good indicator. It will eventually get overtired from lack of oxygen and start to object with irregular beating and chestpain.
When I really went too far I'll also have that chestpain and irregular beating at night following such a workout.

Cados

I'm currently at a lung function of 52-55 percent, i do not experience very many headaches. Some indicators i've had is chest pain, generally after cardio causing a high pulse and deep breathing. Something i also have experienced when i push myself too far with weights or running is haemoptysis. I tend to push myself a lot and it has led to me bursting vessels in my lungs in several occasions. In which i was advised to stop before that happened, almost most of the time now i can tell if im getting close that level and i will have a slight pain. I can now tell when a certain pain arises if it will mean haemoptysis, this way i can avoid it by stopping immediately, and all exercise for 24 hours. In general though, high pulse and heavy breathing are good indicators you are pushing yourself hard enough. If you can't feel lung expansion and contractions working hard then go a little harder. This will help by forcing the airways open and allowing air to reach deeper parts. Not being able to run makes things more difficult, but not impossible. Even things like sit ups, pilates or boxing will help to get the heart going and lung working hard. Also don't forget core stability exercises, stretching of the pecs and strengthening of the mid and lower trapezius. These are essential for good posture to assure your frame doesn't close in on your lungs and cause pain. Better posture will allow you to breath easier, especially long term. Sorry i don't have more for you as im still learning a lot myself, good luck :)

J

jpatapow

If you can't run try the rowing machine. Building muscle brings down sugar levels and Cardio is obviously great for the lungs. The rowing machine will do both.

Gemmy

Banned
Push ups are one of the basic and most common exercises for the human body. Push ups are not only great for your chest, but do a tremendous job of defining your abs, triceps, shoulders and torso.

scarecrow

You can get an O2 meter for about $60 that will give you a pretty acurate picture of when you need to slow down and let your O2 level catch up.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I second the O2 meter.

With easy to use, affordable home meters of various types you might want to add a thermometer to your kit.

LL