Questin for those who use Albuterol in an inhaler

carmick

I don't use albuterol all the time, just when I'm getting sick and can't walk around without it. At that point I normally need more than 2 puffs for it to be helpful and I do a couple every few hours. You can def do 3 or 4 per dose, depending on how often you take it, but beyond that you have to be careful because it ups your heart rate. The effect varies person by person so check with your doc, you might be able to handle more. I know that I get fewer side effects now that I use it more often. If you need to be on a lot long term you might want to switch your rx to xopenex. It doesn't have as much of an impact on your heart but it is more expensive. I've been on nebulized xopenex as often as every 2 hrs in the hospital for a few days and been ok. They do give nebulized albuterol that often, but so much makes me jittery and shaky, or at least it used to. I don't get nearly the side effects I did when I was only using albuterol every couple months.

carmick

I don't use albuterol all the time, just when I'm getting sick and can't walk around without it. At that point I normally need more than 2 puffs for it to be helpful and I do a couple every few hours. You can def do 3 or 4 per dose, depending on how often you take it, but beyond that you have to be careful because it ups your heart rate. The effect varies person by person so check with your doc, you might be able to handle more. I know that I get fewer side effects now that I use it more often. If you need to be on a lot long term you might want to switch your rx to xopenex. It doesn't have as much of an impact on your heart but it is more expensive. I've been on nebulized xopenex as often as every 2 hrs in the hospital for a few days and been ok. They do give nebulized albuterol that often, but so much makes me jittery and shaky, or at least it used to. I don't get nearly the side effects I did when I was only using albuterol every couple months.

carmick

carmick

carmick

randmel89

I take 4 puffs every two to four hours as needed. My Doctor said that it won't hurt my lungs any to have extra Medicine. I do Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation 1.25mg every 3 hours in my nebulizer if the Inhaler isn't working for me. Just my 2 cents...

randmel89

I take 4 puffs every two to four hours as needed. My Doctor said that it won't hurt my lungs any to have extra Medicine. I do Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation 1.25mg every 3 hours in my nebulizer if the Inhaler isn't working for me. Just my 2 cents...

randmel89

randmel89

randmel89

rubyroselee

My spouse is an respiratory therapist and they give lots of albuterol at a time to some patients. Not my recommendation to take more than the prescribed amount, but it's very hard to OD on the med (unless you just keep taking it repeatedly). But only taking 1 puff is not effective because the first puff opens up the airways and then the second puff gets the medicine in there...so you need 2.

rubyroselee

My spouse is an respiratory therapist and they give lots of albuterol at a time to some patients. Not my recommendation to take more than the prescribed amount, but it's very hard to OD on the med (unless you just keep taking it repeatedly). But only taking 1 puff is not effective because the first puff opens up the airways and then the second puff gets the medicine in there...so you need 2.

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee