Question about gene mutations & siblings

Allisa35

Maybe someone out there might know the answer to this. My dr. wanted me to be DNA tested for my gene mutations but I haven't done it yet because my insurance won't pay for it (at least not outright; I have to get a letter from my dr., etc.). My sister is supposed to get one done in a few days. Does anyone know if she and I would have the same mutations? I am assuming we would since our parents would have passed on the same genes. Just curious!!

Allisa35

Maybe someone out there might know the answer to this. My dr. wanted me to be DNA tested for my gene mutations but I haven't done it yet because my insurance won't pay for it (at least not outright; I have to get a letter from my dr., etc.). My sister is supposed to get one done in a few days. Does anyone know if she and I would have the same mutations? I am assuming we would since our parents would have passed on the same genes. Just curious!!

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35

dyza

Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.

dyza

Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.

dyza

dyza

dyza

Allisa35

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dyza</b></i>

Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.</end quote></div>

Hi Dyza. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm more confused now (when it comes to genetics my brain goes out the window). Don't we get one bad gene/mutation from each parent? So, my thinking was that they would pass on the same one (bad gene) to both my sister and me. When it comes to anything scientific, it's over my head (lol).

Allisa35

Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.</end quote></div>

Hi Dyza. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm more confused now (when it comes to genetics my brain goes out the window). Don't we get one bad gene/mutation from each parent? So, my thinking was that they would pass on the same one (bad gene) to both my sister and me. When it comes to anything scientific, it's over my head (lol).

Allisa35

Allisa35

Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.</end quote>

Allisa35

<br />
<br />Chances are that only one of your parents has the mutation, and so you and your sister would (if at all) have the same mutation......But, and theres always a but, there is the posibility that your parents have a mutation each and you could have been lucky and only recieved one from either your mother or father.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Hi Dyza. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm more confused now (when it comes to genetics my brain goes out the window). Don't we get one bad gene/mutation from each parent? So, my thinking was that they would pass on the same one (bad gene) to both my sister and me. When it comes to anything scientific, it's over my head (lol).

just1more

Allisa,

If you have CF then you got 1 defective gene from each parent.

If the don't have CF they each only have one (carrier) thus, in order for you to have 2, they each gave it to you.

If you sister has CF then it is pretty safe to assume you have the same mutations. The only way it would not be is if one of your parents actually has CF (2 defective genes).

If you sister is only a carrier, then you will have whichever mutation she has, plus one from the other parent.

Help?

Edited as I figured out what confused you from Dyza-they answered as if you were a carrier, not having CF.

just1more

Allisa,

If the don't have CF they each only have one (carrier) thus, in order for you to have 2, they each gave it to you.

If you sister has CF then it is pretty safe to assume you have the same mutations. The only way it would not be is if one of your parents actually has CF (2 defective genes).

If you sister is only a carrier, then you will have whichever mutation she has, plus one from the other parent.

Help?

Edited as I figured out what confused you from Dyza-they answered as if you were a carrier, not having CF.

just1more

Allisa,

Help?

just1more

Allisa,

Help?

just1more

Allisa,
<br />
<br />If you have CF then you got 1 defective gene from each parent.
<br />
<br />If the don't have CF they each only have one (carrier) thus, in order for you to have 2, they each gave it to you.
<br />
<br />If you sister has CF then it is pretty safe to assume you have the same mutations. The only way it would not be is if one of your parents actually has CF (2 defective genes).
<br />
<br />If you sister is only a carrier, then you will have whichever mutation she has, plus one from the other parent.
<br />
<br />Help?
<br />
<br />
<br />Edited as I figured out what confused you from Dyza-they answered as if you were a carrier, not having CF.