Question about gene mutations & siblings

H

hopesiris

If one of your parents had mild/undiagnosed CF and the other was a carrier then it is possible for two different genotypes to appear in their CF children. Seems like it makes sense to identify the mutations in your sister and then run a test just for those mutations first on you. That is less expensive. If you do it through Ambry they can test in steps, first looking for known mutations and then continuing only if they don't find the two mutations you have.

We tested our daughters cord blood when we learned I am not a carrier during my pregnancy, I actually have CF. To look for two known mutations only cost $300, not the $3000 the full panel costs. HTH.

H

hopesiris

If one of your parents had mild/undiagnosed CF and the other was a carrier then it is possible for two different genotypes to appear in their CF children. Seems like it makes sense to identify the mutations in your sister and then run a test just for those mutations first on you. That is less expensive. If you do it through Ambry they can test in steps, first looking for known mutations and then continuing only if they don't find the two mutations you have.

We tested our daughters cord blood when we learned I am not a carrier during my pregnancy, I actually have CF. To look for two known mutations only cost $300, not the $3000 the full panel costs. HTH.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />We tested our daughters cord blood when we learned I am not a carrier during my pregnancy, I actually have CF. To look for two known mutations only cost $300, not the $3000 the full panel costs. HTH.
<br />
<br />
<br />

dyza

Sorry never noticed your signature saying you had CF, hope I didn't confuse you too much.
Of course there is still the possibility that one of your parents actually has CF, but for it to have not shown throughout their life.

Craig

dyza

Sorry never noticed your signature saying you had CF, hope I didn't confuse you too much.
Of course there is still the possibility that one of your parents actually has CF, but for it to have not shown throughout their life.

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

<br />Of course there is still the possibility that one of your parents actually has CF, but for it to have not shown throughout their life.
<br />
<br />Craig

Allisa35

Thanks for your replies. Everybody's replies pretty much coincide with what I thought. It will be interesting to find out what her mutations are.

Allisa35

Thanks for your replies. Everybody's replies pretty much coincide with what I thought. It will be interesting to find out what her mutations are.

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35