Question about Vitamin D

Allisa35

Don't know if anybody here can answer this for me, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I need to get more Vitamin D since I ran out and I'm not sure which one to get. I know I talked to the dietician about this a while back and I can't remember what was said. Anyway, I called the clinic today and talked to the nurse (she talked to the dietician for me). She said I should take vit. D2 (ergocalciferol). The one I have been taking is vit. D3 (cholecalciferol). I have been trying to read up on it and from what I have found, most of it says that D3 is the more potent form (in humans). I'm starting to get confused with everything I have been reading. Does anybody here know anything about this? I may just have to call the clinic again tomorrow and talk to the dietician myself and have her explain why I should take the D2 over D3. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Allisa35

Don't know if anybody here can answer this for me, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I need to get more Vitamin D since I ran out and I'm not sure which one to get. I know I talked to the dietician about this a while back and I can't remember what was said. Anyway, I called the clinic today and talked to the nurse (she talked to the dietician for me). She said I should take vit. D2 (ergocalciferol). The one I have been taking is vit. D3 (cholecalciferol). I have been trying to read up on it and from what I have found, most of it says that D3 is the more potent form (in humans). I'm starting to get confused with everything I have been reading. Does anybody here know anything about this? I may just have to call the clinic again tomorrow and talk to the dietician myself and have her explain why I should take the D2 over D3. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35

dramamama

The clinic nurse is wrong. D3 is the one that has shown the most promise in reversing low levels of D in cf patients. Also, D2 is linked to hardening of soft tissue in the body...a definite no-no when we already suffer from scar tissue and related issues.

Cholecalciferol significantly increases 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in adults with cystic fibrosis.

Stephenson A, Brotherwood M, Robert R, Atenafu E, Corey M, Tullis E.
Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada. stephendona@smh.toronto.on.ca
BACKGROUND: Vitamin D deficiency is increasingly being recognized and treated in patients with cystic fibrosis, although the treatment guidelines are not proven and the effectiveness of vitamin D preparations is untested. OBJECTIVES: The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] deficiency in a large cohort of adults with cystic fibrosis and to evaluate the effectiveness of supplementation with cholecalciferol. DESIGN: In this retrospective cohort design, baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were measured, and the effects of clinical interventions that involved either counseling on compliance or increasing supplemental cholecalciferol on serum 25(OH)D concentrations in those subjects with baseline concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L were evaluated. RESULTS: Of 360 adults with cystic fibrosis, 249 (69%) had baseline 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L, despite similar levels of supplementation. The lowest 25(OH)D concentrations were seen in younger subjects who had lower body mass indexes and less pulmonary function. Serum 25(OH)D concentrations increased significantly (P<0.0001)--from 35.5 +/- 10.1 to 62.5 +/- 19.1 nmol/L--in 92% of the subjects after the intervention. The subjects with baseline 25(OH)D concentrations < 25 nmol/L had the largest increase in serum 25(OH)D (P=0.02). CONCLUSIONS: A significant proportion of adults with cystic fibrosis have serum 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L. Cholecalciferol increases serum 25(OH)D concentrations significantly, and the maximum response occurs in persons with the lowest baseline concentrations.

dramamama

The clinic nurse is wrong. D3 is the one that has shown the most promise in reversing low levels of D in cf patients. Also, D2 is linked to hardening of soft tissue in the body...a definite no-no when we already suffer from scar tissue and related issues.

Cholecalciferol significantly increases 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in adults with cystic fibrosis.

Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada. stephendona@smh.toronto.on.ca
BACKGROUND: Vitamin D deficiency is increasingly being recognized and treated in patients with cystic fibrosis, although the treatment guidelines are not proven and the effectiveness of vitamin D preparations is untested. OBJECTIVES: The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] deficiency in a large cohort of adults with cystic fibrosis and to evaluate the effectiveness of supplementation with cholecalciferol. DESIGN: In this retrospective cohort design, baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were measured, and the effects of clinical interventions that involved either counseling on compliance or increasing supplemental cholecalciferol on serum 25(OH)D concentrations in those subjects with baseline concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L were evaluated. RESULTS: Of 360 adults with cystic fibrosis, 249 (69%) had baseline 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L, despite similar levels of supplementation. The lowest 25(OH)D concentrations were seen in younger subjects who had lower body mass indexes and less pulmonary function. Serum 25(OH)D concentrations increased significantly (P<0.0001)--from 35.5 +/- 10.1 to 62.5 +/- 19.1 nmol/L--in 92% of the subjects after the intervention. The subjects with baseline 25(OH)D concentrations < 25 nmol/L had the largest increase in serum 25(OH)D (P=0.02). CONCLUSIONS: A significant proportion of adults with cystic fibrosis have serum 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L. Cholecalciferol increases serum 25(OH)D concentrations significantly, and the maximum response occurs in persons with the lowest baseline concentrations.

dramamama

dramamama

dramamama

<br />
<br />Cholecalciferol significantly increases 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in adults with cystic fibrosis.
<br />
<br />Stephenson A, Brotherwood M, Robert R, Atenafu E, Corey M, Tullis E.
<br />Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada. stephendona@smh.toronto.on.ca
<br />BACKGROUND: Vitamin D deficiency is increasingly being recognized and treated in patients with cystic fibrosis, although the treatment guidelines are not proven and the effectiveness of vitamin D preparations is untested. OBJECTIVES: The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] deficiency in a large cohort of adults with cystic fibrosis and to evaluate the effectiveness of supplementation with cholecalciferol. DESIGN: In this retrospective cohort design, baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were measured, and the effects of clinical interventions that involved either counseling on compliance or increasing supplemental cholecalciferol on serum 25(OH)D concentrations in those subjects with baseline concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L were evaluated. RESULTS: Of 360 adults with cystic fibrosis, 249 (69%) had baseline 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L, despite similar levels of supplementation. The lowest 25(OH)D concentrations were seen in younger subjects who had lower body mass indexes and less pulmonary function. Serum 25(OH)D concentrations increased significantly (P<0.0001)--from 35.5 +/- 10.1 to 62.5 +/- 19.1 nmol/L--in 92% of the subjects after the intervention. The subjects with baseline 25(OH)D concentrations < 25 nmol/L had the largest increase in serum 25(OH)D (P=0.02). CONCLUSIONS: A significant proportion of adults with cystic fibrosis have serum 25(OH)D concentrations <or= 50 nmol/L. Cholecalciferol increases serum 25(OH)D concentrations significantly, and the maximum response occurs in persons with the lowest baseline concentrations.
<br />

Allisa35

Thanks for the reply. That seems to be the consensus on the stuff I've been reading. I put a call in to the dietician today, but I didn't hear back from her yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm just wondering what her reasoning is to use the D2 over the D3. Thanks for the response.

Allisa35

Thanks for the reply. That seems to be the consensus on the stuff I've been reading. I put a call in to the dietician today, but I didn't hear back from her yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm just wondering what her reasoning is to use the D2 over the D3. Thanks for the response.

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35

Landy

I take vitamin D3 too. From what I understand, vitamin D2 is derived from plant/herbs and vitamin D3 is from animal sources (nice, huh? lol) and we CFs seem to absorb and use the vitamin D3 better.

Landy

I take vitamin D3 too. From what I understand, vitamin D2 is derived from plant/herbs and vitamin D3 is from animal sources (nice, huh? lol) and we CFs seem to absorb and use the vitamin D3 better.

Landy

Landy

Landy

<br />