question for those who exercise...

jdubbs

It might have more to do with the camping than the ride. Camping always took a lot out of me. I never got enough food, water or sleep. As a kid, you just sort of try to tough it out. In general, that's a bad strategy for CFers. I find that with adequate sleep, hydration and food, "exercise-exhaustion" (for lack of a better term) is rarely a problem for me. ALso, I can't emphasize enough the importance of GATORADE for CFers. You should be proud tho. I'd keep him cycling if you can!

jdubbs

It might have more to do with the camping than the ride. Camping always took a lot out of me. I never got enough food, water or sleep. As a kid, you just sort of try to tough it out. In general, that's a bad strategy for CFers. I find that with adequate sleep, hydration and food, "exercise-exhaustion" (for lack of a better term) is rarely a problem for me. ALso, I can't emphasize enough the importance of GATORADE for CFers. You should be proud tho. I'd keep him cycling if you can!

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs

RonnieSharpe

I agree with the above respondents. He probably had a bug prior to the bike ride. CFers should stop at nothing to exercise. Now, rest is important, but there are 24 hours in a day, so we certainly have time to do both. The fact that he was coughing up all of that mucus is also a good thing. It's much better out of his lungs than in. I constantly am hammering home the point that we need to do anything and everything to get that mucus up and out.

Tell him to keep up the good work!

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

I agree with the above respondents. He probably had a bug prior to the bike ride. CFers should stop at nothing to exercise. Now, rest is important, but there are 24 hours in a day, so we certainly have time to do both. The fact that he was coughing up all of that mucus is also a good thing. It's much better out of his lungs than in. I constantly am hammering home the point that we need to do anything and everything to get that mucus up and out.

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

<br />
<br />Tell him to keep up the good work!
<br />
<br />Ronnie

gretzky711

I recall when I first started exerting myself with hockey, meaning I would play in a tournament and I would experience something similar. I would play all 3-6 games over a Friday and Saturday and be okay. However, once the tournament was over i would feel like I had the flu and have major sinus problems. I talked it over with my doctor and they told me to use salt tablets. However, the first few times I did those they made me throw up because they are harsh on your stomach. I started cutting them in half and just taking a half of one with a ton of gatorade. Water is really good, but you need the electrolytes to be replenished as well. The salt tablets were a bit expensive so I started just cutting a a bouillon cube in half and swallowing that. I preferred the chicken flavor to the pure salt tablet and they seem to work. The other thing that I do if I feel really sick afterwards even though i drank gatorade and took a salt supplement is drink pedialyte. I actually drink the store brand of pedialyte (Kroger) and find it works just as well. I'd heard that some of the professional athletes would drink that if they had to play overtime in games to counteract dehydration. It would take an hour to work, but the results were great. I went from not being able to move and having unbelievable cramps and nausea to wanting a steak dinner.

gretzky711

I recall when I first started exerting myself with hockey, meaning I would play in a tournament and I would experience something similar. I would play all 3-6 games over a Friday and Saturday and be okay. However, once the tournament was over i would feel like I had the flu and have major sinus problems. I talked it over with my doctor and they told me to use salt tablets. However, the first few times I did those they made me throw up because they are harsh on your stomach. I started cutting them in half and just taking a half of one with a ton of gatorade. Water is really good, but you need the electrolytes to be replenished as well. The salt tablets were a bit expensive so I started just cutting a a bouillon cube in half and swallowing that. I preferred the chicken flavor to the pure salt tablet and they seem to work. The other thing that I do if I feel really sick afterwards even though i drank gatorade and took a salt supplement is drink pedialyte. I actually drink the store brand of pedialyte (Kroger) and find it works just as well. I'd heard that some of the professional athletes would drink that if they had to play overtime in games to counteract dehydration. It would take an hour to work, but the results were great. I went from not being able to move and having unbelievable cramps and nausea to wanting a steak dinner.

gretzky711

gretzky711

gretzky711

T

TonyaH

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wouldn't be suprised if he went into that weekend fighting a bug. Everyone at school had been sick. I am concerned about the amount of camping he has been doing with scouts. He has ABPA and is already on low dose prednisone and allergy medication daily. Thanks for the stories. It's so nice to hear from experience so I can learn from that as well as what our doctor says. We love our doctor and clinic, but life experience is soooo important! I don't want him to stop riding or running. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't pushing it too far. Thanks again!

T

TonyaH

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wouldn't be suprised if he went into that weekend fighting a bug. Everyone at school had been sick. I am concerned about the amount of camping he has been doing with scouts. He has ABPA and is already on low dose prednisone and allergy medication daily. Thanks for the stories. It's so nice to hear from experience so I can learn from that as well as what our doctor says. We love our doctor and clinic, but life experience is soooo important! I don't want him to stop riding or running. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't pushing it too far. Thanks again!

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH