Question for those with HIGHHHHHH pfts

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
i can kinda see what you mean. predicted values of fev1 are based on height, sex and AGE. In this sense, at 24 with a height of 5'1 my predicted fev1 is 2.86, so with a fev1 of 1.95 my percentage is 68%. However, even if my actual lung function of 1.95 didn't change by the time i was 30 it would be 71% (as the predicted would now be 2.73, based on height, sex and AGE.) So even though i hadn't actually gained any lung function at all, my percentage is up ( a bit false wouldn't you say?).
<br>
However it is still a function against predicted. So, yes by the time you're 90 you have lost a lot of lung function granted. But so has everyone else, so the predicted of that is a lot less, 1.55. So if you had dropped to 0.22l, your lung function would be 14% of predicted. So if i've made any sense - that;s the point. The percentages are based on your predicted values for people your age, height and sex. As the population decreases naturally in lung function as they get older, if yours is decreasing faster - that's bad.
<br>
incidently i prefer to look at my actual numbers than base it against a theoretical population statistic. I know if my lung function drops to 1.75 or lower i feel lousy. nuff said.
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
i can kinda see what you mean. predicted values of fev1 are based on height, sex and AGE. In this sense, at 24 with a height of 5'1 my predicted fev1 is 2.86, so with a fev1 of 1.95 my percentage is 68%. However, even if my actual lung function of 1.95 didn't change by the time i was 30 it would be 71% (as the predicted would now be 2.73, based on height, sex and AGE.) So even though i hadn't actually gained any lung function at all, my percentage is up ( a bit false wouldn't you say?).
<br>
However it is still a function against predicted. So, yes by the time you're 90 you have lost a lot of lung function granted. But so has everyone else, so the predicted of that is a lot less, 1.55. So if you had dropped to 0.22l, your lung function would be 14% of predicted. So if i've made any sense - that;s the point. The percentages are based on your predicted values for people your age, height and sex. As the population decreases naturally in lung function as they get older, if yours is decreasing faster - that's bad.
<br>
incidently i prefer to look at my actual numbers than base it against a theoretical population statistic. I know if my lung function drops to 1.75 or lower i feel lousy. nuff said.
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

hi shamrock
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

oh incidently in reply to your original question,<br>
i've recently managed to up my fev1 from an average of 1.8 to now regularly getting over 2l, most recently 2.15. Thats a jump from 63% to 75%.<br>
Generally i think i cough just as much in my "well" peroids of being healthy. And i'm probably still just as breathless. But i have more energy i find. My sats haven't really changed sticking around 94-96%. When i was younger, at school, and had an fev1 of what i can only guess were around 80-90%, i don't remember coughing that often unless iv's were heading my way.<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

i've recently managed to up my fev1 from an average of 1.8 to now regularly getting over 2l, most recently 2.15. Thats a jump from 63% to 75%.<br>
Generally i think i cough just as much in my "well" peroids of being healthy. And i'm probably still just as breathless. But i have more energy i find. My sats haven't really changed sticking around 94-96%. When i was younger, at school, and had an fev1 of what i can only guess were around 80-90%, i don't remember coughing that often unless iv's were heading my way.<br>
xxxx

Bumblebee

xxxx

Bumblebee

xxxx

Bumblebee

xxxx

Bumblebee

xxxx

Bumblebee

sorry just realsied chaggie said what i was trying to say, but clearly a lot more succinctly. <br><br>
doh!<br><br>
xxx

Bumblebee

sorry just realsied chaggie said what i was trying to say, but clearly a lot more succinctly. <br><br>
doh!<br><br>
xxx