Question for those with Medicaid Coverage

Alyssa

Since before the diagnosis of CF my kids have always had great coverage through group employee purchased health care (Cigna) Everything has been paid really well and relatively speaking we have not had much out of pocket expense.

We are in a weird situation with health insurance at the moment due to my husband's health & employment status (long story) but the short story is:

our son needs to transfer his care from the state of WA (Children's Hospital - Seattle) to the state of ND (St. Alexius Heart & Lung - Bismarck). I would like to run him through all the base line stuff here, particularly PFT's & chest x-ray.

He also has state approval for Medicaid coverage (considered disabled due to autism, not CF) I have transferred Medicaid from WA to ND

We rarely used the Medicaid of WA because Cigna covered so well. But now Cigna will be considered out of network and will leave us with some high deductibles and co-insurance. I am assuming Medicaid will pick all of this up as secondary coverage.

Money has never been an issue when it came to running tests (PFT's, x-rays, CT scans etc) because Cigna paid so well. We will have Cigna for a couple more months (out of network if done in ND rather than WA) then I think he will be Medicaid only.

So............ I'm finally getting to my question...... since I have only experienced having Cigna pay for everything, how well does Medicaid cover things and more specifically, have you ever felt like you DIDN'T get the best treatments or tests because Medicaid was your only health insurance?

Alyssa

Since before the diagnosis of CF my kids have always had great coverage through group employee purchased health care (Cigna) Everything has been paid really well and relatively speaking we have not had much out of pocket expense.

We are in a weird situation with health insurance at the moment due to my husband's health & employment status (long story) but the short story is:

our son needs to transfer his care from the state of WA (Children's Hospital - Seattle) to the state of ND (St. Alexius Heart & Lung - Bismarck). I would like to run him through all the base line stuff here, particularly PFT's & chest x-ray.

He also has state approval for Medicaid coverage (considered disabled due to autism, not CF) I have transferred Medicaid from WA to ND

We rarely used the Medicaid of WA because Cigna covered so well. But now Cigna will be considered out of network and will leave us with some high deductibles and co-insurance. I am assuming Medicaid will pick all of this up as secondary coverage.

Money has never been an issue when it came to running tests (PFT's, x-rays, CT scans etc) because Cigna paid so well. We will have Cigna for a couple more months (out of network if done in ND rather than WA) then I think he will be Medicaid only.

So............ I'm finally getting to my question...... since I have only experienced having Cigna pay for everything, how well does Medicaid cover things and more specifically, have you ever felt like you DIDN'T get the best treatments or tests because Medicaid was your only health insurance?

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

JazzysMom

I think for the most part Medicaid recipients get the short end of the stick. I saw it constantly when working at our local hospital. It didnt seem to be the hospital end (we were required to treat patients), but more so the doctors end. We are a very high Medicaid rate area and you know what doctors except the Medicaid and ones that dont. Should you happen to have a primary insurance before Medicaid then you are ok, but if its just Medicaid chances are good your quality of care is inferior.

I believe this applies to CF centers as well. I dont think it is as rampid as it is in the general medical professiona, but to say it doesnt exist is foolish.

JazzysMom

I think for the most part Medicaid recipients get the short end of the stick. I saw it constantly when working at our local hospital. It didnt seem to be the hospital end (we were required to treat patients), but more so the doctors end. We are a very high Medicaid rate area and you know what doctors except the Medicaid and ones that dont. Should you happen to have a primary insurance before Medicaid then you are ok, but if its just Medicaid chances are good your quality of care is inferior.

I believe this applies to CF centers as well. I dont think it is as rampid as it is in the general medical professiona, but to say it doesnt exist is foolish.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

pnhuffman

I have a 6 year old with CF, Arnold Chiari malformation, and shunted hydrocephalus. Had custody since he was 2. And I also have a 2 year old that we have had custody of since he was 3 mos old.

I personally have not had any problemss with them and their medical card. If anything I seem less stress with them having the medical card/ Because if it was my husbands insurance i would have to make sure that everything was pre approved, co-pays. and also make sure that the doctors were still in the network.

But just recently with the medical card we had gotten a letter stating we had to pick which HMO or PPO we wanted. And so I had to make sure that all of the boys docotrs where in their network. Thats the frustrating part with these docotrs and insurances.

It is so frustrating at times to find doctors who accept the medical card. But the good thing is that most of their docotrs is at the Childrens Hospital where they go and they accept their insurance. And most of the doctors that I have had to deal with know the boys history. Especially the 6 year olds. And we dont have any problems.

pnhuffman

I have a 6 year old with CF, Arnold Chiari malformation, and shunted hydrocephalus. Had custody since he was 2. And I also have a 2 year old that we have had custody of since he was 3 mos old.

I personally have not had any problemss with them and their medical card. If anything I seem less stress with them having the medical card/ Because if it was my husbands insurance i would have to make sure that everything was pre approved, co-pays. and also make sure that the doctors were still in the network.

But just recently with the medical card we had gotten a letter stating we had to pick which HMO or PPO we wanted. And so I had to make sure that all of the boys docotrs where in their network. Thats the frustrating part with these docotrs and insurances.

It is so frustrating at times to find doctors who accept the medical card. But the good thing is that most of their docotrs is at the Childrens Hospital where they go and they accept their insurance. And most of the doctors that I have had to deal with know the boys history. Especially the 6 year olds. And we dont have any problems.