Question for those with Medicaid Coverage

pnhuffman

I have a 6 year old with CF, Arnold Chiari malformation, and shunted hydrocephalus. Had custody since he was 2. And I also have a 2 year old that we have had custody of since he was 3 mos old.

I personally have not had any problemss with them and their medical card. If anything I seem less stress with them having the medical card/ Because if it was my husbands insurance i would have to make sure that everything was pre approved, co-pays. and also make sure that the doctors were still in the network.

But just recently with the medical card we had gotten a letter stating we had to pick which HMO or PPO we wanted. And so I had to make sure that all of the boys docotrs where in their network. Thats the frustrating part with these docotrs and insurances.

It is so frustrating at times to find doctors who accept the medical card. But the good thing is that most of their docotrs is at the Childrens Hospital where they go and they accept their insurance. And most of the doctors that I have had to deal with know the boys history. Especially the 6 year olds. And we dont have any problems.

pnhuffman

I have a 6 year old with CF, Arnold Chiari malformation, and shunted hydrocephalus. Had custody since he was 2. And I also have a 2 year old that we have had custody of since he was 3 mos old.

I personally have not had any problemss with them and their medical card. If anything I seem less stress with them having the medical card/ Because if it was my husbands insurance i would have to make sure that everything was pre approved, co-pays. and also make sure that the doctors were still in the network.

But just recently with the medical card we had gotten a letter stating we had to pick which HMO or PPO we wanted. And so I had to make sure that all of the boys docotrs where in their network. Thats the frustrating part with these docotrs and insurances.

It is so frustrating at times to find doctors who accept the medical card. But the good thing is that most of their docotrs is at the Childrens Hospital where they go and they accept their insurance. And most of the doctors that I have had to deal with know the boys history. Especially the 6 year olds. And we dont have any problems.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

NoExcuses

You get what you pay for. You can argue all day long if that's right or not or whatever.

But I'm telling you how it is. Medicaid patients are treated differently than PPO patients. Docs make more money off of PPO patients and it's easier to get tests, etc. and more meds are often times available with PPO.

NoExcuses

You get what you pay for. You can argue all day long if that's right or not or whatever.

But I'm telling you how it is. Medicaid patients are treated differently than PPO patients. Docs make more money off of PPO patients and it's easier to get tests, etc. and more meds are often times available with PPO.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

kswitch

well, i'm not on medicaid, but i am on a state program. the first problem with my program is that it is only valid at two hospitals in the state of iowa. one is a crappy county hospital in the capital city. fortuantely, the other is a major medical university that has an accredited cf center. it's a two hour drive but very worth it.

so far, i have had no trouble getting the full round of tests reguarly. i have not yet inquired about a dna test, but i imagine i will have to pay full cost.

the program does NOT pay for outpatient meds or medical equipment; except for residents of johnson county, iowa (location of the center) who can receive generic meds from the university pharm.

resident's of polk county (the capital county) can apply for a county program that will pay for meds at the county pharmacy. the county pharmacy accpets scripts only from the county hospital's physicians.

i do not know what programs are in place for iowa's 97 other counties.

i reside in polk county. i attend the cf center at u of i. i take the scripts from there to a physician at the county hospital and convince them to rewrite the scripts so i can get the meds from that pharmacy.

it's a runaround, and i don't get everything they want for me, but it's worked for the last 5 years. i'm fortunate that everyone seems to live up to thier oaths by doing whatever is necessary to get me what i need.

the meds i can't get because they're not available are, tobi, mucomyst, and pulomzyme. i get alb, zithro, and collisten. i also get generic enzymes, so that's a weakness. i've been bouncing back and forth from generics to samples.

it also kind of sucks that i don't have the option of doing iv's at home. but i am fortunate enough that the program will pay for %100 inpatient care.

the premium is income based. i pay $9 monthly. my annual income is about $9,800.

annual income over $12,000 virtually disqualifies me from the program.

bottom line: when i can make the leap from $10,000 a year to $10,000 a year plus medical/private insurance costs, i most certainly will.

kswitch

well, i'm not on medicaid, but i am on a state program. the first problem with my program is that it is only valid at two hospitals in the state of iowa. one is a crappy county hospital in the capital city. fortuantely, the other is a major medical university that has an accredited cf center. it's a two hour drive but very worth it.

so far, i have had no trouble getting the full round of tests reguarly. i have not yet inquired about a dna test, but i imagine i will have to pay full cost.

the program does NOT pay for outpatient meds or medical equipment; except for residents of johnson county, iowa (location of the center) who can receive generic meds from the university pharm.

resident's of polk county (the capital county) can apply for a county program that will pay for meds at the county pharmacy. the county pharmacy accpets scripts only from the county hospital's physicians.

i reside in polk county. i attend the cf center at u of i. i take the scripts from there to a physician at the county hospital and convince them to rewrite the scripts so i can get the meds from that pharmacy.

it's a runaround, and i don't get everything they want for me, but it's worked for the last 5 years. i'm fortunate that everyone seems to live up to thier oaths by doing whatever is necessary to get me what i need.

the meds i can't get because they're not available are, tobi, mucomyst, and pulomzyme. i get alb, zithro, and collisten. i also get generic enzymes, so that's a weakness. i've been bouncing back and forth from generics to samples.

it also kind of sucks that i don't have the option of doing iv's at home. but i am fortunate enough that the program will pay for %100 inpatient care.

the premium is income based. i pay $9 monthly. my annual income is about $9,800.

bottom line: when i can make the leap from $10,000 a year to $10,000 a year plus medical/private insurance costs, i most certainly will.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

texascfdad

i would have to say that it all depends on the hospital you use. i have to cf kids. they both have medicaid, but my girl is covered through my insurance bcbs. medicaid covers everything on both of them. whatever bcbs doesnt cover for my girl, medicaid covers. i havent noticed any difference in the care for them because of the payment method. ive been to several hospitals and doctors with both children. the hospitals have all been different, but not becasue of medicaid. its just been the amount of care and atention at he hospital and the difference in the doctors.

texascfdad

i would have to say that it all depends on the hospital you use. i have to cf kids. they both have medicaid, but my girl is covered through my insurance bcbs. medicaid covers everything on both of them. whatever bcbs doesnt cover for my girl, medicaid covers. i havent noticed any difference in the care for them because of the payment method. ive been to several hospitals and doctors with both children. the hospitals have all been different, but not becasue of medicaid. its just been the amount of care and atention at he hospital and the difference in the doctors.

texascfdad

texascfdad