question

robert321

i asked this in the chat room once but i don't remember what i was told. Can a person with cf donate blood? Every year my school has a blood drive and if you donate you get out of class to do it, but you have to be 17 to donate so this hasn't been a question in the past, but with my 17th birthday coming around and school starting in a couple months, i was just wondering if i could donate?

robert321

i asked this in the chat room once but i don't remember what i was told. Can a person with cf donate blood? Every year my school has a blood drive and if you donate you get out of class to do it, but you have to be 17 to donate so this hasn't been a question in the past, but with my 17th birthday coming around and school starting in a couple months, i was just wondering if i could donate?

robert321

robert321

robert321

robert321

kswitch

i've been rejected at a blood drive before, but it was more because it was a risk to me. at least that's what they said.

i dunno what the official verdict is, though. i would like to know for sure also.

kswitch

i've been rejected at a blood drive before, but it was more because it was a risk to me. at least that's what they said.

i dunno what the official verdict is, though. i would like to know for sure also.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

lmattaway

I've gotten differing answers. I think it all depends on who's doing the drive. I was able to donate when I was in high school, but then when I tried to donate at a local drive they told me no. I know there's often a weight minimum (which CFers can fall under) but that was never an issue for me. I could never get them to give me a straight answer as to why they wouldn't let me donate. I think it just depends on whose rules/regs they're going by.

lmattaway

I've gotten differing answers. I think it all depends on who's doing the drive. I was able to donate when I was in high school, but then when I tried to donate at a local drive they told me no. I know there's often a weight minimum (which CFers can fall under) but that was never an issue for me. I could never get them to give me a straight answer as to why they wouldn't let me donate. I think it just depends on whose rules/regs they're going by.

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

Emily65Roses

I'm pretty sure the official answer is "no." I've tried many times. They don't want their ass on the line which is what they're afraid they'd have, taking our blood. I believe the "position" is that they don't want to allow us to deplete our systems.

Emily65Roses

I'm pretty sure the official answer is "no." I've tried many times. They don't want their ass on the line which is what they're afraid they'd have, taking our blood. I believe the "position" is that they don't want to allow us to deplete our systems.