really freaky checkup yesterday

jamie6girl

Something similar about cold weather was mentioned today during my dr appt. Dr said doing vest more would help... He said cold weather could be to blame for CFer's feeling good , but not having lung function improvement.

jamie6girl

Something similar about cold weather was mentioned today during my dr appt. Dr said doing vest more would help... He said cold weather could be to blame for CFer's feeling good , but not having lung function improvement.

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

DanG

When I get PFTs done I look at the actual values fvc, fev1 and 25-75% (small airways) and compare those to past results.

PFTs can change rapidly. If I had a machine and did PFTs every day they'd be all over the place from one day to next I'm sure. Even from the first try to the last the lungs react (small airways usually not well and overall volume increases) and the PFTs show it.

Predicted values also change dramatically at certain times in life (around 18, then 21 for example) so the numbers are more useful to remember long-term.

Cold air, exertion (including PFTs) can definitely restrict your airways, and it's possible that since you have reactive airways your lungs were also affected by the return to the dirty air in nyc.

Danny
cfrd,ra and so on.

DanG

When I get PFTs done I look at the actual values fvc, fev1 and 25-75% (small airways) and compare those to past results.

PFTs can change rapidly. If I had a machine and did PFTs every day they'd be all over the place from one day to next I'm sure. Even from the first try to the last the lungs react (small airways usually not well and overall volume increases) and the PFTs show it.

Predicted values also change dramatically at certain times in life (around 18, then 21 for example) so the numbers are more useful to remember long-term.

Cold air, exertion (including PFTs) can definitely restrict your airways, and it's possible that since you have reactive airways your lungs were also affected by the return to the dirty air in nyc.

Danny
cfrd,ra and so on.

DanG

Danny
cfrd,ra and so on.

DanG

Danny
cfrd,ra and so on.

DanG

Danny
cfrd,ra and so on.

Scarlett81

my understanding was that i lost alot more than 1/10th of my last pft-
if I went from an fev1 of 70 to 48-that seems pretty bad to me.
so you're saying that even if the tech put my weight in incorrectly it wouldn't really matter bc they don't factor in weight?
i wish i knew more about figuring the % w pfts and such...they've explained it to me but i forget every time.

Scarlett81

so you're saying that even if the tech put my weight in incorrectly it wouldn't really matter bc they don't factor in weight?
i wish i knew more about figuring the % w pfts and such...they've explained it to me but i forget every time.

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

Scarlett81

tara

Christian,

You didn't go from 70% to 48%. If the predicted values remain the same in both PFT visits, you went from 70% to 67%. I'm saying you have to compare apples to apples. You can't calculate your percentage based on two different predicted values and expect to be able to compare them. Gosh, I wish there was an easier way for me to explain it. Maybe re-read what I wrote in my first response. Also, all of my comments are based on the assumption that "what you blew" aka 1.7 Liters is your FEV1.

You did lose 1/10 of a liter, that's it. And based on a predicted value of 2.54 Liters, that's only a 3% loss. (70% down to 67%) Try not to get too hung up on the numbers. The biggest clue will be how you feel. Keep up with your airway clearance and nebs. Hang in there!

tara

Christian,

You didn't go from 70% to 48%. If the predicted values remain the same in both PFT visits, you went from 70% to 67%. I'm saying you have to compare apples to apples. You can't calculate your percentage based on two different predicted values and expect to be able to compare them. Gosh, I wish there was an easier way for me to explain it. Maybe re-read what I wrote in my first response. Also, all of my comments are based on the assumption that "what you blew" aka 1.7 Liters is your FEV1.

You did lose 1/10 of a liter, that's it. And based on a predicted value of 2.54 Liters, that's only a 3% loss. (70% down to 67%) Try not to get too hung up on the numbers. The biggest clue will be how you feel. Keep up with your airway clearance and nebs. Hang in there!

tara

Christian,

tara

Christian,

tara

Christian,