Regarding Suicide

Jem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mockingbird</b></i>

I know you asked me to check my religion at the door, but since you chose to misrepresent my religion in such a way, I cannot help but respond.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>most major faiths view suicide as the "Unpardonable sin".</end quote></div>

erm, no. That is not what the unpardonable sin is. The catholic church veiws suicide as a grave injustice against God, since it is God who owns our life and we would be destroying our life without His permission. According to the catholic church, a person who commits suicide goes to hell not because it is the unpardonable sin, but because in order for any sane person to commit suicide they must first have annihilated in themselves all that they possessed of spiritual life. </end quote></div>

This is the Catholic Church's position on suicide which can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Suicide

2280: Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281: Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282: If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283: <b>We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.</b>

Jem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mockingbird</b></i>

I know you asked me to check my religion at the door, but since you chose to misrepresent my religion in such a way, I cannot help but respond.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>most major faiths view suicide as the "Unpardonable sin".</end quote></div>

erm, no. That is not what the unpardonable sin is. The catholic church veiws suicide as a grave injustice against God, since it is God who owns our life and we would be destroying our life without His permission. According to the catholic church, a person who commits suicide goes to hell not because it is the unpardonable sin, but because in order for any sane person to commit suicide they must first have annihilated in themselves all that they possessed of spiritual life. </end quote></div>

This is the Catholic Church's position on suicide which can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Suicide

2280: Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281: Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282: If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283: <b>We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.</b>

Jem

Suicide

Jem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>most major faiths view suicide as the "Unpardonable sin".</end quote>

erm, no. That is not what the unpardonable sin is. The catholic church veiws suicide as a grave injustice against God, since it is God who owns our life and we would be destroying our life without His permission. According to the catholic church, a person who commits suicide goes to hell not because it is the unpardonable sin, but because in order for any sane person to commit suicide they must first have annihilated in themselves all that they possessed of spiritual life. </end quote>

Suicide

Jem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>most major faiths view suicide as the "Unpardonable sin".</end quote>

erm, no. That is not what the unpardonable sin is. The catholic church veiws suicide as a grave injustice against God, since it is God who owns our life and we would be destroying our life without His permission. According to the catholic church, a person who commits suicide goes to hell not because it is the unpardonable sin, but because in order for any sane person to commit suicide they must first have annihilated in themselves all that they possessed of spiritual life. </end quote>

Suicide

thefrogprincess

I was living in Oregon when legislation started regaurding physician assisted suicide. It was a very hotly debated topic. If I was facing the choice I would probably move back so that I could do it. I have a lot of family there so establishing residency fast would not be a problem. I could just use one of their addresses.

thefrogprincess

I was living in Oregon when legislation started regaurding physician assisted suicide. It was a very hotly debated topic. If I was facing the choice I would probably move back so that I could do it. I have a lot of family there so establishing residency fast would not be a problem. I could just use one of their addresses.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

BigBee

Thank you Jem for the clarification, I think it is very important to know the Catholic Church's actual stance. Catholicism is much maligned for many things, but their stance on suicide is reasonable to me. It certainly takes into account psychological illness, torture and fear of grave hardship and suffering.

End stage CF or other terminal illness could certainly be viewed as grave hardship and suffering. If a person chooses to actively or passively end (or hasten the end of) their own life, I support that.

A wise person once told me that we are too afraid to talk about death. Death comes either way. And, sometimes, going out on one's own terms gives a person a sense of dignity and control in what can be a very undignified and uncontrollable situation.

I agree.

BigBee

Thank you Jem for the clarification, I think it is very important to know the Catholic Church's actual stance. Catholicism is much maligned for many things, but their stance on suicide is reasonable to me. It certainly takes into account psychological illness, torture and fear of grave hardship and suffering.

End stage CF or other terminal illness could certainly be viewed as grave hardship and suffering. If a person chooses to actively or passively end (or hasten the end of) their own life, I support that.

A wise person once told me that we are too afraid to talk about death. Death comes either way. And, sometimes, going out on one's own terms gives a person a sense of dignity and control in what can be a very undignified and uncontrollable situation.

I agree.

BigBee

I agree.

BigBee

I agree.

BigBee

I agree.

robert321

i agree 100% with mockingbird, under no circumstances would i be able to commit sucide. I don't believe that commiting sucide will send you to hell because of God's grace. I know you said avoid religion but on a topic of this nature that cannot be done without biasing the entire conversation.

robert321

i agree 100% with mockingbird, under no circumstances would i be able to commit sucide. I don't believe that commiting sucide will send you to hell because of God's grace. I know you said avoid religion but on a topic of this nature that cannot be done without biasing the entire conversation.

robert321

robert321

robert321