School Attendance

amyr

My kids have missed so much school. My daughter has missed at least two months of kindergarten so far this year. Every school is different but at ours they have programs through the county where they will send teachers to the house to catch the children up. The school nurse has been the biggest help to us in this area. I don't believe based on numbers of days attended they can hold a child back.

amyr

My kids have missed so much school. My daughter has missed at least two months of kindergarten so far this year. Every school is different but at ours they have programs through the county where they will send teachers to the house to catch the children up. The school nurse has been the biggest help to us in this area. I don't believe based on numbers of days attended they can hold a child back.

amyr

amyr

amyr

C

Cherylwithone

My daughter is now in the 9th grade. She has missed alot of school along the way. We live in Massachusetts and she has what they call a 504 plan. She must still do the work and take the exams but the 504 allows her to miss classroom instruction and also provides for a tutor. Her parents should talk to the school and see what the policy is there and also fine out what the state laws are. Keep in mind that one day this child will want to go to college.
My daughter can't use CF as an excuse not to go to school. When she having a good day she goes. Like today. Sometimes she only goes for an hour or two. The bottom line is...she is trying to be normal (as much as she can with CF) She is also looking to her future. Bad habits are very hard to break. We also have a rule in our house. If you don't go to school then you can't go anywhere else. It works for us. Good luck!

Cheryl mom to Malora (15yr w/CF)

C

Cherylwithone

My daughter is now in the 9th grade. She has missed alot of school along the way. We live in Massachusetts and she has what they call a 504 plan. She must still do the work and take the exams but the 504 allows her to miss classroom instruction and also provides for a tutor. Her parents should talk to the school and see what the policy is there and also fine out what the state laws are. Keep in mind that one day this child will want to go to college.
My daughter can't use CF as an excuse not to go to school. When she having a good day she goes. Like today. Sometimes she only goes for an hour or two. The bottom line is...she is trying to be normal (as much as she can with CF) She is also looking to her future. Bad habits are very hard to break. We also have a rule in our house. If you don't go to school then you can't go anywhere else. It works for us. Good luck!

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />My daughter can't use CF as an excuse not to go to school. When she having a good day she goes. Like today. Sometimes she only goes for an hour or two. The bottom line is...she is trying to be normal (as much as she can with CF) She is also looking to her future. Bad habits are very hard to break. We also have a rule in our house. If you don't go to school then you can't go anywhere else. It works for us. Good luck!
<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora (15yr w/CF)

T

TonyaH

Hey Cheryl,
We have that rule, too! If you're too sick to go to school, you must be too sick to go to cub scouts or play outside. It works wonders!

T

TonyaH

Hey Cheryl,
We have that rule, too! If you're too sick to go to school, you must be too sick to go to cub scouts or play outside. It works wonders!

T

TonyaH

Hey Cheryl,

T

TonyaH

Hey Cheryl,

T

TonyaH

Hey Cheryl,
<br />We have that rule, too! If you're too sick to go to school, you must be too sick to go to cub scouts or play outside. It works wonders!

hope0508

Thank you for your responses. I am not sure she has any plan in place. I do know she is not doing any make up work. I am mostly concerned about her future and if she doesn't get an education now what will her life be like in the future. You can just wait for a rich guy to come along and marry you. That is what she has been taught (so to speak in the past) but with a disease like CF I don't see that being the best possibility for having a secure future. One day she had to ask her mom why she stayed home from school, she wasn't really sick. I think the mom uses it alot so she doesn't have to go work either.

hope0508

Thank you for your responses. I am not sure she has any plan in place. I do know she is not doing any make up work. I am mostly concerned about her future and if she doesn't get an education now what will her life be like in the future. You can just wait for a rich guy to come along and marry you. That is what she has been taught (so to speak in the past) but with a disease like CF I don't see that being the best possibility for having a secure future. One day she had to ask her mom why she stayed home from school, she wasn't really sick. I think the mom uses it alot so she doesn't have to go work either.

hope0508

hope0508

hope0508