School Nurses?

mom4holly

I need advice on how to handle a School Nurse situation. Holly's nurse is calling me atleast every other day for what seems like stupid things to me. I may be overreacting about this but I don't know. Today she called me & told me that Holly was having trouble breathing. I rushed up to the school to see Holly sitting in the nurses office doing just fine. I asked holly what happened & she simply explained that she had a coughing fit but she was better now...I was frustrated that the nurse called me instead of giving her a few minutes to cool down but whatever. Last week she called because holly didn't take her enzymes, 2 hours after the fact to let me know that she now was crapping her brains out-this I feel they should have taken responsibility. I have made it clear that she must swallow the pills BEFORE she eats, not when SHE, a 5 year old, remembers to come pop some pills that are fairly new to her. Shes called me to tell me that Holly was blowing her nose to much & she thought she should go to the doctor, she tells me if she puts her head down in class, she even called to ask me to bring holly a sweater because she was cold, Holly has a headache, Holly looks pale today & once she called to tell me that holly didn't have enough snacks in the clinic....URGH. Yesturday when I was there I think she sensed my frustration with coming to the school on a daily basis but I want to know where I should turn...
Should I speak to the principal or her counselor, the clinic has atleast 20 pages of documentation at the school specific to Holly, I feel like they should know everything the need to know. Does anyone else have this problem. I love Holly's teacher & every one else at the school besides the nurse seems to handle this fine but she just seems over the top to me.
Please someone give me advice on what I should do.

mom4holly

I need advice on how to handle a School Nurse situation. Holly's nurse is calling me atleast every other day for what seems like stupid things to me. I may be overreacting about this but I don't know. Today she called me & told me that Holly was having trouble breathing. I rushed up to the school to see Holly sitting in the nurses office doing just fine. I asked holly what happened & she simply explained that she had a coughing fit but she was better now...I was frustrated that the nurse called me instead of giving her a few minutes to cool down but whatever. Last week she called because holly didn't take her enzymes, 2 hours after the fact to let me know that she now was crapping her brains out-this I feel they should have taken responsibility. I have made it clear that she must swallow the pills BEFORE she eats, not when SHE, a 5 year old, remembers to come pop some pills that are fairly new to her. Shes called me to tell me that Holly was blowing her nose to much & she thought she should go to the doctor, she tells me if she puts her head down in class, she even called to ask me to bring holly a sweater because she was cold, Holly has a headache, Holly looks pale today & once she called to tell me that holly didn't have enough snacks in the clinic....URGH. Yesturday when I was there I think she sensed my frustration with coming to the school on a daily basis but I want to know where I should turn...
Should I speak to the principal or her counselor, the clinic has atleast 20 pages of documentation at the school specific to Holly, I feel like they should know everything the need to know. Does anyone else have this problem. I love Holly's teacher & every one else at the school besides the nurse seems to handle this fine but she just seems over the top to me.

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly

<br />Should I speak to the principal or her counselor, the clinic has atleast 20 pages of documentation at the school specific to Holly, I feel like they should know everything the need to know. Does anyone else have this problem. I love Holly's teacher & every one else at the school besides the nurse seems to handle this fine but she just seems over the top to me.
<br />Please someone give me advice on what I should do.
<br />

rubyroselee

Wow, if I was a school nurse (a dream job for me as a nurse!) I would definitely not be freaking out like she is. Firstly, it sounds like she's not very educated on CF at all. Part of her job is to make sure she understands the needs of the students. Maybe she's just over-cautious and wants to cover her butt for every little thing. I think I would just talk to her personally and let her know what is normal for your daughter, and that she should call you if it really is something that requires attention. It sounds like she's going a bit overboard here. Just let her know that it is probably normal for her to have a little coughing fit, probably normal to have a stomachache once in awhile, etc.

Man, I wish things were done now like they were back when I was in elementary school. The school nurse just kept an "extra" bottle of enzymes in her office. Otherwise, my teacher kept them in her desk drawer for snack time and my mom packed them in my lunchbox for my lunch. I was totally responsible for my pills. I think after a certain point when they started to get more strict with me carrying pills around (in middle school I think), my mom just stopped telling the school that I needed pills and just let me take them to school on my own.

Good luck with everything. I think the nurse needs a little education from you though.

rubyroselee

Wow, if I was a school nurse (a dream job for me as a nurse!) I would definitely not be freaking out like she is. Firstly, it sounds like she's not very educated on CF at all. Part of her job is to make sure she understands the needs of the students. Maybe she's just over-cautious and wants to cover her butt for every little thing. I think I would just talk to her personally and let her know what is normal for your daughter, and that she should call you if it really is something that requires attention. It sounds like she's going a bit overboard here. Just let her know that it is probably normal for her to have a little coughing fit, probably normal to have a stomachache once in awhile, etc.

Man, I wish things were done now like they were back when I was in elementary school. The school nurse just kept an "extra" bottle of enzymes in her office. Otherwise, my teacher kept them in her desk drawer for snack time and my mom packed them in my lunchbox for my lunch. I was totally responsible for my pills. I think after a certain point when they started to get more strict with me carrying pills around (in middle school I think), my mom just stopped telling the school that I needed pills and just let me take them to school on my own.

Good luck with everything. I think the nurse needs a little education from you though.

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

<br />
<br />Man, I wish things were done now like they were back when I was in elementary school. The school nurse just kept an "extra" bottle of enzymes in her office. Otherwise, my teacher kept them in her desk drawer for snack time and my mom packed them in my lunchbox for my lunch. I was totally responsible for my pills. I think after a certain point when they started to get more strict with me carrying pills around (in middle school I think), my mom just stopped telling the school that I needed pills and just let me take them to school on my own.
<br />
<br />Good luck with everything. I think the nurse needs a little education from you though.

C

Cherylwithone

Bobbi, We had that problem in in Jr. High. Elementry School was fine with the nurse. In Jr. High the nurse would call everyday. What if someone pulls the G-tube out on her. Well, if it comes out cover the site and call. She can't carry the enzymes herself she must see me. I got a doctors note to take care of that. SHould she see me for chest pt's. So on and so forth. Everyday! I got to the point that I told the nurse...Look she has CF yes this is a fact but she is a child first just like all the other kids in school. I need to work stop calling so much. I explained to her there are certain things in the life of a child with CF that won't change. They cough alot. Sometimes they just need a rest. (head laying down) But, if you continue to make a big deal out of this. You will make her feel like a freak. Please stop. I also printed out the stuff from the CF web site for the school. The high school nurse is much better. She does'nt freak about PICC lines, heart monitors, coughing, hives, etc. She only calls if Malora is running a fever or Malora will ask her to call. For you though it is much harder because of your childs age. You should see if the clinic you go to will have someone comeout and talk to the staff. Ours does that. They really don't mind educating the public. You could also sit down one on one with the nurse and talk to her direct. It's a hard call. You would think a nurse would get it. But, we learned the hard way they are not all the same. I do wish you well with this. Just be firm and don't let her make you feel bad about this. Yo will find that the kids can cope much better then the adults can. Good luck and hang in there!

Cheryl mom to Malora (15yr w/CF)

C

Cherylwithone

Bobbi, We had that problem in in Jr. High. Elementry School was fine with the nurse. In Jr. High the nurse would call everyday. What if someone pulls the G-tube out on her. Well, if it comes out cover the site and call. She can't carry the enzymes herself she must see me. I got a doctors note to take care of that. SHould she see me for chest pt's. So on and so forth. Everyday! I got to the point that I told the nurse...Look she has CF yes this is a fact but she is a child first just like all the other kids in school. I need to work stop calling so much. I explained to her there are certain things in the life of a child with CF that won't change. They cough alot. Sometimes they just need a rest. (head laying down) But, if you continue to make a big deal out of this. You will make her feel like a freak. Please stop. I also printed out the stuff from the CF web site for the school. The high school nurse is much better. She does'nt freak about PICC lines, heart monitors, coughing, hives, etc. She only calls if Malora is running a fever or Malora will ask her to call. For you though it is much harder because of your childs age. You should see if the clinic you go to will have someone comeout and talk to the staff. Ours does that. They really don't mind educating the public. You could also sit down one on one with the nurse and talk to her direct. It's a hard call. You would think a nurse would get it. But, we learned the hard way they are not all the same. I do wish you well with this. Just be firm and don't let her make you feel bad about this. Yo will find that the kids can cope much better then the adults can. Good luck and hang in there!

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora (15yr w/CF)

JORDYSMOM

That certainly sounds frustrating. I'm thinking the nurse is a little intimidated by the CF, and she is being overly cautious. I guess that's better than not caring, but I understand how tiresome this is for you.

I think you should talk to the nurse personally first. Otherwise, she might be hurt thinking that all she was doing was trying to be a good nurse, and take the best care of your daughter, etc. Tell her that you appreciate her being so attentive to your daughter's needs, but that it really will be okay. You might suggest to the nurse that when something happens with Holly, she should ask herself if she would call the parent if it was a child w/o CF. If she wouldn't, then it's probably okay to let it go. If it makes her feel better, she could keep a log of "incidents" and send it home each day. That way if there is something happening that concerns you, you can call her.

I hope you can get the nurse to relax so you can have a day without a trip to the school.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

That certainly sounds frustrating. I'm thinking the nurse is a little intimidated by the CF, and she is being overly cautious. I guess that's better than not caring, but I understand how tiresome this is for you.

I think you should talk to the nurse personally first. Otherwise, she might be hurt thinking that all she was doing was trying to be a good nurse, and take the best care of your daughter, etc. Tell her that you appreciate her being so attentive to your daughter's needs, but that it really will be okay. You might suggest to the nurse that when something happens with Holly, she should ask herself if she would call the parent if it was a child w/o CF. If she wouldn't, then it's probably okay to let it go. If it makes her feel better, she could keep a log of "incidents" and send it home each day. That way if there is something happening that concerns you, you can call her.

I hope you can get the nurse to relax so you can have a day without a trip to the school.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />I think you should talk to the nurse personally first. Otherwise, she might be hurt thinking that all she was doing was trying to be a good nurse, and take the best care of your daughter, etc. Tell her that you appreciate her being so attentive to your daughter's needs, but that it really will be okay. You might suggest to the nurse that when something happens with Holly, she should ask herself if she would call the parent if it was a child w/o CF. If she wouldn't, then it's probably okay to let it go. If it makes her feel better, she could keep a log of "incidents" and send it home each day. That way if there is something happening that concerns you, you can call her.
<br />
<br />I hope you can get the nurse to relax so you can have a day without a trip to the school.
<br />
<br />Stacey