School Nurses?

J

JORDANSMOM

My son also has a full time nurse at school thats just for him but with him he has cf, cfrd, and has had a liver transplant. What you need to remember is that no one knows your child like you do. She may be a little intimidated trying to get a grasp on everything,a nd trying to make sure that she makes no mistakes regarding your childs health. Just talk to her and take information to the school. Let her know whats normal for you and whats not. Don't become frustrated shes taking care of your angel.

J

JORDANSMOM

My son also has a full time nurse at school thats just for him but with him he has cf, cfrd, and has had a liver transplant. What you need to remember is that no one knows your child like you do. She may be a little intimidated trying to get a grasp on everything,a nd trying to make sure that she makes no mistakes regarding your childs health. Just talk to her and take information to the school. Let her know whats normal for you and whats not. Don't become frustrated shes taking care of your angel.

J

JORDANSMOM

J

JORDANSMOM

J

JORDANSMOM

thefrogprincess

You may want to have the nurse at your clinic talk to her. Maybe hearing what is normal from a colleague would calm her down some. Good luck! Oh, and when she calls you ask to speak to your daughter before you run down there. That way you can probably save yourself some trips.

thefrogprincess

You may want to have the nurse at your clinic talk to her. Maybe hearing what is normal from a colleague would calm her down some. Good luck! Oh, and when she calls you ask to speak to your daughter before you run down there. That way you can probably save yourself some trips.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

concernedmom

Actually, in our district, the "school nurse" doesn't even have to be a NURSE! I could take a short certification class and become a "school nurse" (my BS is accounting/finance). Thankfully, our school nurse is an RN with all of her experience in pediatrics. Unfortunately, our district only has nurses for 1/2 days (9-1).

I agree with everyone else, talk to the nurse first. I'd bet she has little or no experience with CF.

concernedmom

Actually, in our district, the "school nurse" doesn't even have to be a NURSE! I could take a short certification class and become a "school nurse" (my BS is accounting/finance). Thankfully, our school nurse is an RN with all of her experience in pediatrics. Unfortunately, our district only has nurses for 1/2 days (9-1).

I agree with everyone else, talk to the nurse first. I'd bet she has little or no experience with CF.

concernedmom

concernedmom

concernedmom

Z

zeeannie

Hi - I've had good luck with school nurses so far, but I do prepare ahead of time. Before we meet a new school nurse I give them some info. You can find good information that you can print for the nurse here: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/</a> These publications address how CF affects a child at school. Also, I wrote a letter of introduction explaining how CF specifically affects our daughter. In an extreme case, you might ask for a 504 plan. This is a plan that spells out specific accomodations that your child may need at school. It's basically a guideline that the nurse, the teachers, and administration have to go by to make sure the child is getting what they need. In your case, it might help them because they will know what to do in certain situations, what to expect, and when to call you.
Good luck!

Z

zeeannie

Hi - I've had good luck with school nurses so far, but I do prepare ahead of time. Before we meet a new school nurse I give them some info. You can find good information that you can print for the nurse here: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/</a> These publications address how CF affects a child at school. Also, I wrote a letter of introduction explaining how CF specifically affects our daughter. In an extreme case, you might ask for a 504 plan. This is a plan that spells out specific accomodations that your child may need at school. It's basically a guideline that the nurse, the teachers, and administration have to go by to make sure the child is getting what they need. In your case, it might help them because they will know what to do in certain situations, what to expect, and when to call you.
Good luck!

Z

zeeannie

Good luck!

Z

zeeannie

Good luck!

Z

zeeannie

<br />Good luck!