School problems

D

domsmom

I agree with Mel. You need to have a 504 put in place. Our son started Kindergarten this year and his CF center recommended that we have one put in place even though luckily at this time DS is in a really good place healthwise. The social worker told us a 504 should be responsive to cuurent needs as well as contingent upon future needs. Most of his needs were common sense, however I am more comfortable knowing that the school is legally bound by their common sense. Our school in the beginning tell us that a 504 was not needed, I met with Superintendent and made sure one was put in place. Good luck.

D

domsmom

I agree with Mel. You need to have a 504 put in place. Our son started Kindergarten this year and his CF center recommended that we have one put in place even though luckily at this time DS is in a really good place healthwise. The social worker told us a 504 should be responsive to cuurent needs as well as contingent upon future needs. Most of his needs were common sense, however I am more comfortable knowing that the school is legally bound by their common sense. Our school in the beginning tell us that a 504 was not needed, I met with Superintendent and made sure one was put in place. Good luck.

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

JORDYSMOM

Yes, get the 504!! Make the teacher and the administration educate themselves on the rules. The plan is so that your child can accomplish the same goals as the other kids, but with a little more time. Do not let them cheat your child out of grades, recess, lunch, ANYTHING.

I know teachers are busy, but she could set an alarm on her watch/phone/computer to remind her when it's time for your daughter to go take care of treatments, etc. I do agree that your daughter could probably handle the responsibility to remember some of this too. You might be surprised at how well kids do when given the chance. Good luck.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Yes, get the 504!! Make the teacher and the administration educate themselves on the rules. The plan is so that your child can accomplish the same goals as the other kids, but with a little more time. Do not let them cheat your child out of grades, recess, lunch, ANYTHING.

I know teachers are busy, but she could set an alarm on her watch/phone/computer to remind her when it's time for your daughter to go take care of treatments, etc. I do agree that your daughter could probably handle the responsibility to remember some of this too. You might be surprised at how well kids do when given the chance. Good luck.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />I know teachers are busy, but she could set an alarm on her watch/phone/computer to remind her when it's time for your daughter to go take care of treatments, etc. I do agree that your daughter could probably handle the responsibility to remember some of this too. You might be surprised at how well kids do when given the chance. Good luck.
<br />
<br />Stacey

Transplantmommy

I just wanted to say that it is absolutely ridiculous that the teacher will not grade the work that your daughter does at home. If she refuses to do it, you need to go to someone higher and talk to them about it.

I missed three months straight my Junior year of high school and I did ALL of my school work from home and then sent it back to the school to be graded. If none of this work had been graded I would have failed that year and either would have done to summer school or repeated my Junior year and that really would not have been fair at all. Students should actually be given more points when they have to do it at home because they are really "sefl-teaching." I was not in a classroom for anyone to teach me what I had to learn. I had to read the books on my own and figure the stuff out by myself. The kids who are in class every single day get to ask questions on stuff that they didn't understand and I didn't.

I know that your daughter is only in the first grade but if something like this happens in high school to her, the teachers all need to be more understanding and grade her on EVERYTHING that she does.

Transplantmommy

I just wanted to say that it is absolutely ridiculous that the teacher will not grade the work that your daughter does at home. If she refuses to do it, you need to go to someone higher and talk to them about it.

I missed three months straight my Junior year of high school and I did ALL of my school work from home and then sent it back to the school to be graded. If none of this work had been graded I would have failed that year and either would have done to summer school or repeated my Junior year and that really would not have been fair at all. Students should actually be given more points when they have to do it at home because they are really "sefl-teaching." I was not in a classroom for anyone to teach me what I had to learn. I had to read the books on my own and figure the stuff out by myself. The kids who are in class every single day get to ask questions on stuff that they didn't understand and I didn't.

I know that your daughter is only in the first grade but if something like this happens in high school to her, the teachers all need to be more understanding and grade her on EVERYTHING that she does.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />I missed three months straight my Junior year of high school and I did ALL of my school work from home and then sent it back to the school to be graded. If none of this work had been graded I would have failed that year and either would have done to summer school or repeated my Junior year and that really would not have been fair at all. Students should actually be given more points when they have to do it at home because they are really "sefl-teaching." I was not in a classroom for anyone to teach me what I had to learn. I had to read the books on my own and figure the stuff out by myself. The kids who are in class every single day get to ask questions on stuff that they didn't understand and I didn't.
<br />
<br />I know that your daughter is only in the first grade but if something like this happens in high school to her, the teachers all need to be more understanding and grade her on EVERYTHING that she does.