School problems

abbysmom

Kate620,

I am a firrst grade teacher, so I would like to give you some advice for your situation.

The 504 is imperative for your daughter. As far as accomodations, this must be in place for the school to give your daughter ANY accomodations. It is also important for when she moves on to other grade levels. Where I teach, we don't have standardized or state testing for first graders, but do for second and up - many times the assessments are quite specific on accomodations, even things like going to the bathroom during the test, etc. I can't believe that the school wouldn't insist on a 504, unless they are not "trying very hard" to help your daughter's situation.

Also, having the accomodations allows the teacher to assess her in a different way - if much of her work has to be completed at home, then assessment of that work is vital - I know that I do not grade homework because it is meant to be short review of the topics that are already covered in class - Your situation is quite different - this isn't homework, or even review - it is her classwork/learning. the teacher should not be averaging grades anyway - Ask the teacher if her grades can be based on assessment of skills\concepts rather than an average of scores over a period of time. This way her grades won't be based on attendance or completed work, but rather on skills attained.

also, you don't want the teacher or school coming back to say at the end of the year that she didn't meet the expectations of first grade, and therefore will retain her because of lack of attendance, grade-able work, or progress. With a 504, or even an IEP (individualized Education Plan) with OHI - other health impaired - classification can help her. Don't be afraid of "Special Education" - I know in some areas people think of it as a stigma or label, however, in my experience, getting services, help, and accomodations for children that need them is only a positive. Having a 504 or IEP can also possibly help your daughter in getting in-home lessons - many children who are not able to come to school are given opportunities to learn at home, through a tutor/teacher sent by the district - this would only be covered under a 504 or IEP, and only if deemed necessary - her doctor can help with this as well, if it is needed.

I agree with shimmereestar, in that it sounds like this teacher is wanting your daughter to take up the slack, as she isn't really willing to step outside her comfort zone.

As far as your daughter versus the teacher remembering to send her to the nurse, I have mixed feelings. The teacher should be supporting her in remembering, but also the responsibility needs to be built for her to start remembering on her own, as this is something she will have to deal with the rest of her life. Perhaps to help the situation, you can get a digital watch with an alarm set for the approiate time - this way, she has a little help in remembering to go - also, the nurse can help with this, as the nurse can always call down to the classroom to have her come - this is what my nurse does if I or my students forget to come (we do get busy and distracted in what we are doing in the classroom).

I hope things get better with this teacher and school. if not, do you have any other school choice? Just remember, with a 504 or IEP, they have to abide by what is on it; without one, they don't have to do anything.

abbysmom

Kate620,

I am a firrst grade teacher, so I would like to give you some advice for your situation.

The 504 is imperative for your daughter. As far as accomodations, this must be in place for the school to give your daughter ANY accomodations. It is also important for when she moves on to other grade levels. Where I teach, we don't have standardized or state testing for first graders, but do for second and up - many times the assessments are quite specific on accomodations, even things like going to the bathroom during the test, etc. I can't believe that the school wouldn't insist on a 504, unless they are not "trying very hard" to help your daughter's situation.

Also, having the accomodations allows the teacher to assess her in a different way - if much of her work has to be completed at home, then assessment of that work is vital - I know that I do not grade homework because it is meant to be short review of the topics that are already covered in class - Your situation is quite different - this isn't homework, or even review - it is her classwork/learning. the teacher should not be averaging grades anyway - Ask the teacher if her grades can be based on assessment of skills\concepts rather than an average of scores over a period of time. This way her grades won't be based on attendance or completed work, but rather on skills attained.

also, you don't want the teacher or school coming back to say at the end of the year that she didn't meet the expectations of first grade, and therefore will retain her because of lack of attendance, grade-able work, or progress. With a 504, or even an IEP (individualized Education Plan) with OHI - other health impaired - classification can help her. Don't be afraid of "Special Education" - I know in some areas people think of it as a stigma or label, however, in my experience, getting services, help, and accomodations for children that need them is only a positive. Having a 504 or IEP can also possibly help your daughter in getting in-home lessons - many children who are not able to come to school are given opportunities to learn at home, through a tutor/teacher sent by the district - this would only be covered under a 504 or IEP, and only if deemed necessary - her doctor can help with this as well, if it is needed.

I agree with shimmereestar, in that it sounds like this teacher is wanting your daughter to take up the slack, as she isn't really willing to step outside her comfort zone.

As far as your daughter versus the teacher remembering to send her to the nurse, I have mixed feelings. The teacher should be supporting her in remembering, but also the responsibility needs to be built for her to start remembering on her own, as this is something she will have to deal with the rest of her life. Perhaps to help the situation, you can get a digital watch with an alarm set for the approiate time - this way, she has a little help in remembering to go - also, the nurse can help with this, as the nurse can always call down to the classroom to have her come - this is what my nurse does if I or my students forget to come (we do get busy and distracted in what we are doing in the classroom).

I hope things get better with this teacher and school. if not, do you have any other school choice? Just remember, with a 504 or IEP, they have to abide by what is on it; without one, they don't have to do anything.

abbysmom

Kate620,

abbysmom

Kate620,

abbysmom

Kate620,
<br />
<br />I am a firrst grade teacher, so I would like to give you some advice for your situation.
<br />
<br />The 504 is imperative for your daughter. As far as accomodations, this must be in place for the school to give your daughter ANY accomodations. It is also important for when she moves on to other grade levels. Where I teach, we don't have standardized or state testing for first graders, but do for second and up - many times the assessments are quite specific on accomodations, even things like going to the bathroom during the test, etc. I can't believe that the school wouldn't insist on a 504, unless they are not "trying very hard" to help your daughter's situation.
<br />
<br />Also, having the accomodations allows the teacher to assess her in a different way - if much of her work has to be completed at home, then assessment of that work is vital - I know that I do not grade homework because it is meant to be short review of the topics that are already covered in class - Your situation is quite different - this isn't homework, or even review - it is her classwork/learning. the teacher should not be averaging grades anyway - Ask the teacher if her grades can be based on assessment of skills\concepts rather than an average of scores over a period of time. This way her grades won't be based on attendance or completed work, but rather on skills attained.
<br />
<br />also, you don't want the teacher or school coming back to say at the end of the year that she didn't meet the expectations of first grade, and therefore will retain her because of lack of attendance, grade-able work, or progress. With a 504, or even an IEP (individualized Education Plan) with OHI - other health impaired - classification can help her. Don't be afraid of "Special Education" - I know in some areas people think of it as a stigma or label, however, in my experience, getting services, help, and accomodations for children that need them is only a positive. Having a 504 or IEP can also possibly help your daughter in getting in-home lessons - many children who are not able to come to school are given opportunities to learn at home, through a tutor/teacher sent by the district - this would only be covered under a 504 or IEP, and only if deemed necessary - her doctor can help with this as well, if it is needed.
<br />
<br />I agree with shimmereestar, in that it sounds like this teacher is wanting your daughter to take up the slack, as she isn't really willing to step outside her comfort zone.
<br />
<br />As far as your daughter versus the teacher remembering to send her to the nurse, I have mixed feelings. The teacher should be supporting her in remembering, but also the responsibility needs to be built for her to start remembering on her own, as this is something she will have to deal with the rest of her life. Perhaps to help the situation, you can get a digital watch with an alarm set for the approiate time - this way, she has a little help in remembering to go - also, the nurse can help with this, as the nurse can always call down to the classroom to have her come - this is what my nurse does if I or my students forget to come (we do get busy and distracted in what we are doing in the classroom).
<br />
<br />I hope things get better with this teacher and school. if not, do you have any other school choice? Just remember, with a 504 or IEP, they have to abide by what is on it; without one, they don't have to do anything.
<br />
<br />
<br />

A

Andrea

I'm a teacher too! I would say insist on a 504 plan. We are instructed (at my school) not to give grades on at home assignments due to the fact that you just don't know who is doing the work. However, if it is a health issue we have sent teachers out to work with kids at home or in the hospital as part of a home bound program. As far as the meds go, until it becomes a routine their needs to be some sort of reminder for your daughter. A note that stays taped on her desk or some sort of digital watch timer works great. I would also get the clinic nurse involved to call down to the room if your daughter has not showed up for her meds at her alloted time. Once she gets into the routine, it will be easier for her to remember.

A

Andrea

I'm a teacher too! I would say insist on a 504 plan. We are instructed (at my school) not to give grades on at home assignments due to the fact that you just don't know who is doing the work. However, if it is a health issue we have sent teachers out to work with kids at home or in the hospital as part of a home bound program. As far as the meds go, until it becomes a routine their needs to be some sort of reminder for your daughter. A note that stays taped on her desk or some sort of digital watch timer works great. I would also get the clinic nurse involved to call down to the room if your daughter has not showed up for her meds at her alloted time. Once she gets into the routine, it will be easier for her to remember.

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

C

Cherylwithone

Do the 504 plan. You are protecting your daughters right for a fair education regardless. My DD has one and I would'nt have it any other way.

Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

C

Cherylwithone

Do the 504 plan. You are protecting your daughters right for a fair education regardless. My DD has one and I would'nt have it any other way.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

izemmom

HI!

I also fall into the double whammy "teacher/cf mom" category! Just wanted to say that you got some great advice here and I wholeheartedly agree that you need to insist on a 504 or IEP under the Otherwise Health Impaired category (OHI). My Emily is 3, so not in school yet, but, I will be getting one set up for her prior to the start of 4K, even if there are no real "needs" yet. I know that down the line she will defineately need cf-related accomodations, and I just want everyone to be on the same page all the way through. As a teacher I know that I am much more able to meet students needs that are documented and discussed and out in the open. Plus, it never hurts to know that I am being held accountable by documentation, either.

There have been several threads here in previous years that listed possible accomodations to include. A search of the site should turn them up for you.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

izemmom

HI!

I also fall into the double whammy "teacher/cf mom" category! Just wanted to say that you got some great advice here and I wholeheartedly agree that you need to insist on a 504 or IEP under the Otherwise Health Impaired category (OHI). My Emily is 3, so not in school yet, but, I will be getting one set up for her prior to the start of 4K, even if there are no real "needs" yet. I know that down the line she will defineately need cf-related accomodations, and I just want everyone to be on the same page all the way through. As a teacher I know that I am much more able to meet students needs that are documented and discussed and out in the open. Plus, it never hurts to know that I am being held accountable by documentation, either.

There have been several threads here in previous years that listed possible accomodations to include. A search of the site should turn them up for you.

izemmom

HI!

izemmom

HI!

izemmom

HI!
<br />
<br />I also fall into the double whammy "teacher/cf mom" category! Just wanted to say that you got some great advice here and I wholeheartedly agree that you need to insist on a 504 or IEP under the Otherwise Health Impaired category (OHI). My Emily is 3, so not in school yet, but, I will be getting one set up for her prior to the start of 4K, even if there are no real "needs" yet. I know that down the line she will defineately need cf-related accomodations, and I just want everyone to be on the same page all the way through. As a teacher I know that I am much more able to meet students needs that are documented and discussed and out in the open. Plus, it never hurts to know that I am being held accountable by documentation, either.
<br />
<br />There have been several threads here in previous years that listed possible accomodations to include. A search of the site should turn them up for you.
<br />
<br />Good luck! Keep us updated!