Sense of Smell

lightNlife

I have had a couple sinus surgeries and one cauterization. My sense of smell was diminished initially, but returned somewhat. Mostly it's my sense of taste that has been altered. I find I'm able to tolerate (tastebud wise) far stronger, spicier foods than before. It's actually sort of cool because then I can eat something like a teaspoon of that hot mustard at Chinese restaurants or horseradish and help clear my sinuses. It's a blessing in disguise, really.

lightNlife

I have had a couple sinus surgeries and one cauterization. My sense of smell was diminished initially, but returned somewhat. Mostly it's my sense of taste that has been altered. I find I'm able to tolerate (tastebud wise) far stronger, spicier foods than before. It's actually sort of cool because then I can eat something like a teaspoon of that hot mustard at Chinese restaurants or horseradish and help clear my sinuses. It's a blessing in disguise, really.

lightNlife

lightNlife

barbc888

Oh yeah, you're definitely no alone. I had polyps removed when I was 11 yrs. old and never really gained a strong sense of smell. I can smell things with an aroma, but many things smell alike to me like perfume, flowers, cologne. I can't distinguish between these smells. I can't smell gas leaks either... it's very scary. A few years ago I bought one of those detectors that beeps when there's a gas leak because I live alone and would not know it if there was a problem. Maybe it would help to get one of those and put your mind at ease?

Margaret, I hope your situation is temporary and your sense of smell comes back!

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Oh yeah, you're definitely no alone. I had polyps removed when I was 11 yrs. old and never really gained a strong sense of smell. I can smell things with an aroma, but many things smell alike to me like perfume, flowers, cologne. I can't distinguish between these smells. I can't smell gas leaks either... it's very scary. A few years ago I bought one of those detectors that beeps when there's a gas leak because I live alone and would not know it if there was a problem. Maybe it would help to get one of those and put your mind at ease?

Margaret, I hope your situation is temporary and your sense of smell comes back!

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

summer732

Thanks for the responses guys. This time for some reason feels different and I'm pretty sure this isn't going to come back. When I tell you I can't smell anything, I really mean i can't smell anything. Sour milk, seriously? That is such a strong smell. And I have been eating spicier food lately too. I guess I can order the hot sauce on my buffalo wings instead of the mild sauce now. hahahaahah.

It is just weird thinking when you are walking down the street and walking past a restaurant and know you should smell something and you don't....

summer732

Thanks for the responses guys. This time for some reason feels different and I'm pretty sure this isn't going to come back. When I tell you I can't smell anything, I really mean i can't smell anything. Sour milk, seriously? That is such a strong smell. And I have been eating spicier food lately too. I guess I can order the hot sauce on my buffalo wings instead of the mild sauce now. hahahaahah.

It is just weird thinking when you are walking down the street and walking past a restaurant and know you should smell something and you don't....

summer732

summer732

summer732

summer732

Amelie

My husband has had 13 sinus surgeries and has absolutely no sense of smell! He got used to it however, but I can only guess how weird it must be to walk around and smell nothing...

Amelie

My husband has had 13 sinus surgeries and has absolutely no sense of smell! He got used to it however, but I can only guess how weird it must be to walk around and smell nothing...

Amelie

Amelie