Should I get on Disability?

ChevyZ71

So I was talking to my CF Dr up here in Denver about everything new I had learned about CF, then we started talking about Obamas new health care plan and My Dr advised me to get on Disability when I turn 18. I will be 18 in a little more than a month and dont know what to do. He says it will greatly benifit me if I can get on medicaid. He told me I would have better insurance if I was on it and would not have to pay as much for a hospital stay.

So If I do have to do on disability does that mean I can not have a full time job? Can I still go to college? The reason I think he brought it up is becuase I have been in the hospital 6 times in less than a year and am not doing much better.

Please help me, I am sitting in the hospital right now and cant get it off my mind on what to do.

Thanks for your help.

ChevyZ71

So I was talking to my CF Dr up here in Denver about everything new I had learned about CF, then we started talking about Obamas new health care plan and My Dr advised me to get on Disability when I turn 18. I will be 18 in a little more than a month and dont know what to do. He says it will greatly benifit me if I can get on medicaid. He told me I would have better insurance if I was on it and would not have to pay as much for a hospital stay.

So If I do have to do on disability does that mean I can not have a full time job? Can I still go to college? The reason I think he brought it up is becuase I have been in the hospital 6 times in less than a year and am not doing much better.

Please help me, I am sitting in the hospital right now and cant get it off my mind on what to do.

Thanks for your help.

ChevyZ71

Thanks for your help.

ChevyZ71

Thanks for your help.

ChevyZ71

<br />
<br />So If I do have to do on disability does that mean I can not have a full time job? Can I still go to college? The reason I think he brought it up is becuase I have been in the hospital 6 times in less than a year and am not doing much better.
<br />
<br />Please help me, I am sitting in the hospital right now and cant get it off my mind on what to do.
<br />
<br />Thanks for your help.

tesorotiffa

You'll still be able to go to college and work... however, you will have to monitor how much money you make monthly from your job. With receiving disability you are only allowed to make so much $$ from a job.

When I was in college, I lost my disability checks because I was working part time in my field ... and I ended up making too much money and now owe money back to disability!

So, as long as you find out income restrictions, you should be fine. There's really no reason not to go ahead and apply.

Some other people in here might know more about it but good luck!

tesorotiffa

You'll still be able to go to college and work... however, you will have to monitor how much money you make monthly from your job. With receiving disability you are only allowed to make so much $$ from a job.

When I was in college, I lost my disability checks because I was working part time in my field ... and I ended up making too much money and now owe money back to disability!

So, as long as you find out income restrictions, you should be fine. There's really no reason not to go ahead and apply.

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />When I was in college, I lost my disability checks because I was working part time in my field ... and I ended up making too much money and now owe money back to disability!
<br />
<br />So, as long as you find out income restrictions, you should be fine. There's really no reason not to go ahead and apply.
<br />
<br />Some other people in here might know more about it but good luck!

Lex

If you're on Medicaid and Disability, and then you stop collecting disability because you earn too much, what happens to your medicaid? Does that stop too?

Lex

If you're on Medicaid and Disability, and then you stop collecting disability because you earn too much, what happens to your medicaid? Does that stop too?

Lex

Lex

Lex

tesorotiffa

Medicaid didn't stop for me, and this was over a year ago. How much money you make just helps determine which subprogram you qualify for under Medicaid.

tesorotiffa

Medicaid didn't stop for me, and this was over a year ago. How much money you make just helps determine which subprogram you qualify for under Medicaid.

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa