Should I get tested for CF?

SleeprLegend

<P>Hello all,</P>
<P>I am curious if I should be tested for CF.  I have had breathing problems my whole life.  I turned blue when I was born, but no one knew why.  I have had asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia issues many times over in my life.  I sweat to the point that I can not even leave my 72* 45% humidity room this time of year.  I have the constant productive cough.  I have always battled skin infections.  I have been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and a vitamin D deficiency.  I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea even though no apneas were found in multiple sleep evaluations.  My Auto CPAP decided that it should operate as a Bi PAP for me.  I just had polyps, lesions, and infections physically removed from my sinuses.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>My dad has the same problems.  His dad died when my dad was 12.  My nephew has been hospitalized for the same breathing problems as me.  He also has the excessive sweating.</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>

SleeprLegend

<P>Hello all,</P>
<P>I am curious if I should be tested for CF. I have had breathing problems my whole life. I turned blue when I was born, but no one knew why. I have had asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia issues many times over in my life. I sweat to the point that I can not even leave my 72* 45% humidity room this time of year. I have the constant productive cough. I have always battled skin infections. I have been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and a vitamin D deficiency. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea even though no apneas were found in multiple sleep evaluations. My Auto CPAP decided that it should operate as a Bi PAP for me. I just had polyps, lesions, and infections physically removed from my sinuses.</P>
<P></P>
<P>My dad has the same problems. His dad died whenmy dadwas 12. My nephew has been hospitalized for the same breathing problems as me. He also has the excessive sweating.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

SleeprLegend

<P><BR>Hello all,</P>
<P>I am curious if I should be tested for CF. I have had breathing problems my whole life. I turned blue when I was born, but no one knew why. I have had asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia issues many times over in my life. I sweat to the point that I can not even leave my 72* 45% humidity room this time of year. I have the constant productive cough. I have always battled skin infections. I have been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and a vitamin D deficiency. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea even though no apneas were found in multiple sleep evaluations. My Auto CPAP decided that it should operate as a Bi PAP for me. I just had polyps, lesions, and infections physically removed from my sinuses.</P>
<P></P>
<P>My dad has the same problems. His dad died whenmy dadwas 12. My nephew has been hospitalized for the same breathing problems as me. He also has the excessive sweating.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

wbj3nocala

Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if you need to go the genetic route.

wbj3nocala

Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if youneed to go the genetic route.

wbj3nocala

<BR>Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if youneed to go the genetic route.

SleeprLegend

<P><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>wbj3nocala</b></i> Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if you need to go the genetic route.</end quote></div> </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I take Robinul to "control" my hyperhidrosis.  I have not been able to find any information about the effect of this drug on the results of the sweat test.  Does anyone know?</P>

SleeprLegend

<P><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>wbj3nocala</b></i> Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if youneed to go the genetic route.</end quote> </P>
<P></P>
<P>I take Robinul to "control" my hyperhidrosis. I have not been able to find any information about the effect of this drug on the results of the sweat test. Does anyone know?</P>

SleeprLegend

<P><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>wbj3nocala</b></i> Get tested to rule out CF. At least your suspicions will be confirmed or denied. Start with the sweat test. Then decide if youneed to go the genetic route.</end quote> </P>
<P></P>
<P>I take Robinul to "control" my hyperhidrosis. I have not been able to find any information about the effect of this drug on the results of the sweat test. Does anyone know?</P>

Printer

Get yourself to an APPROVED CYSTIC FIBROSIS CENTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Let the Doctors decide the best course of testing.

Bill

Printer

Get yourself to an APPROVED CYSTIC FIBROSIS CENTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Let the Doctors decide the best course of testing.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Bill

Printer

Bill

Printer

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Bill

joshannon

I have these symptoms too - anemia not caused from not enough iron, and also low vitamin D even though I doubled my dose to 2000IU a day, and I live in one of sunniest countries in the world, along with the other symptoms.

I have had sudden onset of IBS-D symptoms - that have not abated for 3 weeks. Am now on CF medication - but have not tested for CF.

I'd probably test positive for the wrong reasons - malnutrition, due to chronic IBS-D like symptoms.

However if drugs work then (maybe).

Didn't think you could be DXed later in life (@50?)

joshannon

I have these symptoms too - anemia not caused from not enough iron, and also low vitamin D even though I doubled my dose to 2000IU a day, and I live in one of sunniest countries in the world, along with the other symptoms.

I have had sudden onset of IBS-D symptoms - that have not abated for 3 weeks. Am now on CF medication - but have not tested for CF.

I'd probably test positive for the wrong reasons - malnutrition, due to chronic IBS-D like symptoms.

However if drugs work then (maybe).

Didn't think you could be DXed later in life (@50?)

Printer

John Shannon:

There is a treead in FORUM/ADULT labeled CFers over 40. Take a few minutes and read through it. I was dx at age 47. One guy out here was dx at age 70.

Bill

Printer

John Shannon:

There is a treead in FORUM/ADULT labeled CFers over 40. Take a few minutes and read through it. I was dx at age 47. One guy out here was dx at age 70.

Bill

A

Allansarmy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>joshannon</b></i> I have these symptoms too - anemia not caused from not enough iron, and also low vitamin D even though I doubled my dose to 2000IU a day, and I live in one of sunniest countries in the world, along with the other symptoms. I have had sudden onset of IBS-D symptoms - that have not abated for 3 weeks. Am now on CF medication - but have not tested for CF. I'd probably test positive for the wrong reasons - malnutrition, due to chronic IBS-D like symptoms. However if drugs work then (maybe). Didn't think you could be DXed later in life (@50?)</end quote>

There are more and more people that get diagnosed after the age of 40 then you might think. I am a parent of a CF boy age 15 (found out he had CF when he was 4 months). My wife's sister had CF as well. To be honest, all of your symptoms will not necessarily make you positive to CF for the wrong reasons. Usuallly you either have it or you don't. Now ther are different mutation types of testing, but I would test via the sweat test first as its probably cheaper through insurance and a doctor can order this type of testing easily. Its a good indicator if you have CF, if you do, you need to get your blood tested for which kind of mutation you have.