singulair

H

hopesiris

I took it quite a few years ago, before it was recognized to be a decongestant. It was prescribed for my asthma but dried up my mucus flow so I insisted to my doc I needed it for that. I went from choking on clumps of mucus to feeling very clear. I self-dosed, taking it every other day and sometimes daily during allergy season or very cold weather.
I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.

H

hopesiris

I took it quite a few years ago, before it was recognized to be a decongestant. It was prescribed for my asthma but dried up my mucus flow so I insisted to my doc I needed it for that. I went from choking on clumps of mucus to feeling very clear. I self-dosed, taking it every other day and sometimes daily during allergy season or very cold weather.
I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

<br />I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.

jfarel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bonniebaby</b></i>

I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote></div>

I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.

Here is what the website says <i>"Allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma are both known as allergic conditions. Both can be triggered by many of the same allergens. And, in both conditions, increased amounts of leukotrienes play an important role in causing symptoms - in your nose in allergic rhinitis and in your lungs in asthma.

Many people with asthma also have indoor and outdoor allergies. But, having allergies does not necessarily mean that you have or will get asthma. Millions more have only indoor and outdoor allergies.

You may know SINGULAIR as an asthma medicine. It is a medicine that effectively helps control asthma because it specifically blocks leukotrienes. Leukotrienes contribute to asthma symptoms, such as chest tightening and wheezing. SINGULAIR is also an effective indoor and outdoor allergy treatment because leukotrienes also play an important role in allergy symptoms."
</i>
Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.

jfarel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bonniebaby</b></i>

I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote></div>

I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.

Here is what the website says <i>"Allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma are both known as allergic conditions. Both can be triggered by many of the same allergens. And, in both conditions, increased amounts of leukotrienes play an important role in causing symptoms - in your nose in allergic rhinitis and in your lungs in asthma.

Many people with asthma also have indoor and outdoor allergies. But, having allergies does not necessarily mean that you have or will get asthma. Millions more have only indoor and outdoor allergies.

You may know SINGULAIR as an asthma medicine. It is a medicine that effectively helps control asthma because it specifically blocks leukotrienes. Leukotrienes contribute to asthma symptoms, such as chest tightening and wheezing. SINGULAIR is also an effective indoor and outdoor allergy treatment because leukotrienes also play an important role in allergy symptoms."
</i>
Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.

jfarel

</i>

jfarel

I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote>

</i>

jfarel

<br />
<br />I took it quite a few years ago, before it was recognized to be a decongestant. It was prescribed for my asthma but dried up my mucus flow so I insisted to my doc I needed it for that. I went from choking on clumps of mucus to feeling very clear. I self-dosed, taking it every other day and sometimes daily during allergy season or very cold weather.
<br />
<br />I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.
<br />
<br />Here is what the website says <i>"Allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma are both known as allergic conditions. Both can be triggered by many of the same allergens. And, in both conditions, increased amounts of leukotrienes play an important role in causing symptoms - in your nose in allergic rhinitis and in your lungs in asthma.
<br />
<br />Many people with asthma also have indoor and outdoor allergies. But, having allergies does not necessarily mean that you have or will get asthma. Millions more have only indoor and outdoor allergies.
<br />
<br />You may know SINGULAIR as an asthma medicine. It is a medicine that effectively helps control asthma because it specifically blocks leukotrienes. Leukotrienes contribute to asthma symptoms, such as chest tightening and wheezing. SINGULAIR is also an effective indoor and outdoor allergy treatment because leukotrienes also play an important role in allergy symptoms."
<br /></i>
<br />Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.

Kelli

I didn't read all the posts here but...... there was something on our news here (Cleveland OH) and it stated Singulair had a tendency to make the patient suicidal. Anyone feel that way?
I wonder if there is any evidence supporting that statement.
I was on it a while ago but didn't feel any different.

Kelli

Kelli

I didn't read all the posts here but...... there was something on our news here (Cleveland OH) and it stated Singulair had a tendency to make the patient suicidal. Anyone feel that way?

Kelli

Kelli

Kelli

Kelli

Kelli

Kelli

<br />I wonder if there is any evidence supporting that statement.
<br />I was on it a while ago but didn't feel any different.
<br />
<br />Kelli

mom4holly

this is correct from what I understand from my doc, Holly uses it daily & it has had amazing results with her sinuses.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jfarel</b></i>

I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. <u><b><i>From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine</i></b></u>. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.

</i>

Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.</end quote></div>

mom4holly

this is correct from what I understand from my doc, Holly uses it daily & it has had amazing results with her sinuses.

I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. <u><b><i>From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine</i></b></u>. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.

</i>

Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.</end quote></div>

mom4holly

</i>

mom4holly

I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote>

</i>

Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.</end quote>

mom4holly

<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jfarel</b></i>
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bonniebaby</b></i>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I took it quite a few years ago, before it was recognized to be a decongestant. It was prescribed for my asthma but dried up my mucus flow so I insisted to my doc I needed it for that. I went from choking on clumps of mucus to feeling very clear. I self-dosed, taking it every other day and sometimes daily during allergy season or very cold weather.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I've been thinking about going back on it eventually but what confuses me is that you are supposed to cough out the mucus for treatments and I'm not sure I'd be able to.</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I don't think singulair is supposed to dry up mucus flow. <u><b><i>From what I have read it is not a decongestant or anti-histamine</i></b></u>. It is used to treat asthma and allergies, but it works in a different way. If it dried up mucus that would need to be mentioned in the prescibing information.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Here is what the website says <i>"Allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma are both known as allergic conditions. Both can be triggered by many of the same allergens. And, in both conditions, increased amounts of leukotrienes play an important role in causing symptoms - in your nose in allergic rhinitis and in your lungs in asthma.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Many people with asthma also have indoor and outdoor allergies. But, having allergies does not necessarily mean that you have or will get asthma. Millions more have only indoor and outdoor allergies.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />You may know SINGULAIR as an asthma medicine. It is a medicine that effectively helps control asthma because it specifically blocks leukotrienes. Leukotrienes contribute to asthma symptoms, such as chest tightening and wheezing. SINGULAIR is also an effective indoor and outdoor allergy treatment because leukotrienes also play an important role in allergy symptoms."
<br />
<br /></i>
<br />
<br />Is it possible you just didn't have as much mucus? I know what you mean. Since I started taking it my cough feels drier as well, but my feeling as that I have less inflammation so that would mean less mucus too. If I start getting more short of breath, than I would assume I am not getting the mucus out. For now, I am breathing better so I am not worried about the dry cough.</end quote>
<br />
<br />