Sinus/Polyps....Who knew they grew so fast??

M

mneville

I've posted before about my 5 year old's horrific sinuses and have learned alot. We do rinses daily, nasal steroids, allergy shots ect...NOTHING keeps the polyps from growing and blocking everything which results in massive infections (MRSA) and he feels horrible all the time. I am at my wit's end with it. He has his 4th extensive FESS on December 3rd and a follow up on March 3rd. He's been on IVs for two weeks and now we are extending it because by his March 3 procedure, all his sinus cavities were blocked with polyps again! It was only 3 months before they all grew back.

Any novel ideas on how to stop polyps from growing back so fast?? I feel like we try so hard everyday to keep him healthy but so far nothing is working for his sinuses and he feels miserable 80% of the time. Hie lung FEV is 156% so sinuses have not yet affected his lungs-thanks!

megan

M

mneville

I've posted before about my 5 year old's horrific sinuses and have learned alot. We do rinses daily, nasal steroids, allergy shots ect...NOTHING keeps the polyps from growing and blocking everything which results in massive infections (MRSA) and he feels horrible all the time. I am at my wit's end with it. He has his 4th extensive FESS on December 3rd and a follow up on March 3rd. He's been on IVs for two weeks and now we are extending it because by his March 3 procedure, all his sinus cavities were blocked with polyps again! It was only 3 months before they all grew back.

Any novel ideas on how to stop polyps from growing back so fast?? I feel like we try so hard everyday to keep him healthy but so far nothing is working for his sinuses and he feels miserable 80% of the time. Hie lung FEV is 156% so sinuses have not yet affected his lungs-thanks!

megan

M

mneville

megan

M

mneville

megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Any novel ideas on how to stop polyps from growing back so fast?? I feel like we try so hard everyday to keep him healthy but so far nothing is working for his sinuses and he feels miserable 80% of the time. Hie lung FEV is 156% so sinuses have not yet affected his lungs-thanks!
<br />
<br />megan

PatrickM

That is really tough and I feel terrible for your son. That is a lot to be going through at his age. My son who will be 13 on Wednesday also has pretty severe sinus disease. He has had 4 FESS procedures since 10/08 with another scheduled for this Friday. His problem is mucus seals, although he did have one polyp last Feb. He was actually operated on at 8 weeks for a mucus seal. Then again at 6 months and 18 months. He was then pretty good until 9/08. I was telling him today that when he was a baby and all this went on I had no idea if it would ever end and I remember the doctors answer was that hopefully he would grow and the sinus area would be bigger. I have no idea why he stopped having the continual problems at age 18 months and now why they are back again. I hope that just like when he was a baby it will stop, at least for a while.

Because he has been having such problems he is going to have the FESS and then do a netty pot with something called bactroban. It has not been used for this reason in patients. The hope is that it will break down the biofilms where the mucus seal forms. The plan is to do bactroban for a week and then Johnsons baby shampoo in a netty pot. He has had such problems we will try anything. He only gets relief from the FESS for about 2 weeks . I have no idea if bactroban would help polyps, or even if it will help my son, but no one had responded to your post and I thought I would throw our story out there. I can totally understand your frustration with the polyps coming back. I doubt I'll know about the effectiveness bactroban for a month or so at least but I'll post how it goes or if it is a flop. I have also read pulmicort helps with polyps. A friend of mine, non cf ,was just told by her ENT to do pulmicort in the netty pot because she has polyps. Have you tried that?

Tara

PatrickM

That is really tough and I feel terrible for your son. That is a lot to be going through at his age. My son who will be 13 on Wednesday also has pretty severe sinus disease. He has had 4 FESS procedures since 10/08 with another scheduled for this Friday. His problem is mucus seals, although he did have one polyp last Feb. He was actually operated on at 8 weeks for a mucus seal. Then again at 6 months and 18 months. He was then pretty good until 9/08. I was telling him today that when he was a baby and all this went on I had no idea if it would ever end and I remember the doctors answer was that hopefully he would grow and the sinus area would be bigger. I have no idea why he stopped having the continual problems at age 18 months and now why they are back again. I hope that just like when he was a baby it will stop, at least for a while.

Because he has been having such problems he is going to have the FESS and then do a netty pot with something called bactroban. It has not been used for this reason in patients. The hope is that it will break down the biofilms where the mucus seal forms. The plan is to do bactroban for a week and then Johnsons baby shampoo in a netty pot. He has had such problems we will try anything. He only gets relief from the FESS for about 2 weeks . I have no idea if bactroban would help polyps, or even if it will help my son, but no one had responded to your post and I thought I would throw our story out there. I can totally understand your frustration with the polyps coming back. I doubt I'll know about the effectiveness bactroban for a month or so at least but I'll post how it goes or if it is a flop. I have also read pulmicort helps with polyps. A friend of mine, non cf ,was just told by her ENT to do pulmicort in the netty pot because she has polyps. Have you tried that?

Tara

PatrickM

Tara

PatrickM

Tara

PatrickM

<br />
<br />Because he has been having such problems he is going to have the FESS and then do a netty pot with something called bactroban. It has not been used for this reason in patients. The hope is that it will break down the biofilms where the mucus seal forms. The plan is to do bactroban for a week and then Johnsons baby shampoo in a netty pot. He has had such problems we will try anything. He only gets relief from the FESS for about 2 weeks . I have no idea if bactroban would help polyps, or even if it will help my son, but no one had responded to your post and I thought I would throw our story out there. I can totally understand your frustration with the polyps coming back. I doubt I'll know about the effectiveness bactroban for a month or so at least but I'll post how it goes or if it is a flop. I have also read pulmicort helps with polyps. A friend of mine, non cf ,was just told by her ENT to do pulmicort in the netty pot because she has polyps. Have you tried that?
<br />
<br />Tara

becca23

I have had a total of 10 sinus surgerys, the last one being in 07. I have pretty much has total reconstruction of my sinus cavities and I know that the growth of the polyps does slow down. The last surgery he totally opened up my maxillary sinuses to help prevent them from closing up with scar tissue and polyps. I have used just about everything for sinus rinse.... tobramycin, bactorban, pulmicort. I dont know if one works better than the other. I have also used several different types of irrigation.....an ear syringe, a nasal rinse bottle,a syringe with a hose on the end, a waterpic system with a special attachment. I prefer the sinus rinse bottle. I dont know if this helps but I do wish your son and you the best of luck.

becca23

I have had a total of 10 sinus surgerys, the last one being in 07. I have pretty much has total reconstruction of my sinus cavities and I know that the growth of the polyps does slow down. The last surgery he totally opened up my maxillary sinuses to help prevent them from closing up with scar tissue and polyps. I have used just about everything for sinus rinse.... tobramycin, bactorban, pulmicort. I dont know if one works better than the other. I have also used several different types of irrigation.....an ear syringe, a nasal rinse bottle,a syringe with a hose on the end, a waterpic system with a special attachment. I prefer the sinus rinse bottle. I dont know if this helps but I do wish your son and you the best of luck.

becca23

becca23

becca23

jdubbs

I've had about 5 sinus surgeries to remove extensive polyps, but it's been nearly 4 years since the last surgery and I'm still polyp free. My only suggestion might be to see if he's allergic to anything. I am pretty sure that moving out of houses with animals and carpet has improved my sinus health tremendously. If he's allergic to anything, REMOVE it from the the environment. Unfortunately that's my only suggestion. I hope he gets some relief.

jdubbs

I've had about 5 sinus surgeries to remove extensive polyps, but it's been nearly 4 years since the last surgery and I'm still polyp free. My only suggestion might be to see if he's allergic to anything. I am pretty sure that moving out of houses with animals and carpet has improved my sinus health tremendously. If he's allergic to anything, REMOVE it from the the environment. Unfortunately that's my only suggestion. I hope he gets some relief.

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs