SMOKE

lmattaway

Laurie, that's a good one!

Lauren: My friends, family and co workers all know not to smoke around me. I've even seen some of them come to my defense, asking others around us who are smoking to step away, before I can even say anything! Typically I just remove myself from wherever the smoke is. Sometimes it's a pain and I feel like I'm requiring "special treatment" but if it keeps my lungs healthy, it seems worth it.

lmattaway

Lauren: My friends, family and co workers all know not to smoke around me. I've even seen some of them come to my defense, asking others around us who are smoking to step away, before I can even say anything! Typically I just remove myself from wherever the smoke is. Sometimes it's a pain and I feel like I'm requiring "special treatment" but if it keeps my lungs healthy, it seems worth it.

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

<br />
<br />Lauren: My friends, family and co workers all know not to smoke around me. I've even seen some of them come to my defense, asking others around us who are smoking to step away, before I can even say anything! Typically I just remove myself from wherever the smoke is. Sometimes it's a pain and I feel like I'm requiring "special treatment" but if it keeps my lungs healthy, it seems worth it.

I can not stand when people smoke around me! When I was younger I never would say anything. As I got older, I ask people to not smoke around me, or I walk away. Once I walk away most people are reminded.

My MIL smokes and used to in the hallway of thier house.
(My In laws live in a 3 story walkup). When I would come over the hallway would be filled with smoke! I asked my husband, to talk to his mom about it. Maybe not smoke when I am coming over, or walk downstairs. It is her house afterall, I did'nt want to push buttons, we were dating at the time. Long story short, she did not want to walk outside to smoke, and cont. to smoke in the hallway. I felt bad doing this, but I banned his house.I just stopped going there. He would fight with her about it, saying I have a LUNG disease, can't breathe the smoke AND walk up 3 flights of stairs... He would than come over my house all the time on his days off, and his parents never really saw him. My MIL got the drift,( after 3 months) and has never smoked in the hallway again. She will still smoke outside around me, but I just walk away.

I always do what I think is right for my lungs... I don't go around people who smoke or walk away.

Kristy
31NY'er with CF/rD

I can not stand when people smoke around me! When I was younger I never would say anything. As I got older, I ask people to not smoke around me, or I walk away. Once I walk away most people are reminded.

(My In laws live in a 3 story walkup). When I would come over the hallway would be filled with smoke! I asked my husband, to talk to his mom about it. Maybe not smoke when I am coming over, or walk downstairs. It is her house afterall, I did'nt want to push buttons, we were dating at the time. Long story short, she did not want to walk outside to smoke, and cont. to smoke in the hallway. I felt bad doing this, but I banned his house.I just stopped going there. He would fight with her about it, saying I have a LUNG disease, can't breathe the smoke AND walk up 3 flights of stairs... He would than come over my house all the time on his days off, and his parents never really saw him. My MIL got the drift,( after 3 months) and has never smoked in the hallway again. She will still smoke outside around me, but I just walk away.

I always do what I think is right for my lungs... I don't go around people who smoke or walk away.

Kristy
31NY'er with CF/rD

Kristy
31NY'er with CF/rD

Kristy
31NY'er with CF/rD

<br />
<br />My MIL smokes and used to in the hallway of thier house.
<br />(My In laws live in a 3 story walkup). When I would come over the hallway would be filled with smoke! I asked my husband, to talk to his mom about it. Maybe not smoke when I am coming over, or walk downstairs. It is her house afterall, I did'nt want to push buttons, we were dating at the time. Long story short, she did not want to walk outside to smoke, and cont. to smoke in the hallway. I felt bad doing this, but I banned his house.I just stopped going there. He would fight with her about it, saying I have a LUNG disease, can't breathe the smoke AND walk up 3 flights of stairs... He would than come over my house all the time on his days off, and his parents never really saw him. My MIL got the drift,( after 3 months) and has never smoked in the hallway again. She will still smoke outside around me, but I just walk away.
<br />
<br />I always do what I think is right for my lungs... I don't go around people who smoke or walk away.
<br />
<br />Kristy
<br />31NY'er with CF/rD

Diane

I always move away from my friends when they light up. Most of them will actually move away from me, but sometimes they are upwind and the smoke comes right to me.If they notice it they move, if they dont then i either tell them or i just move.
What was always a problem for me was....Tow trucks. Anytime i ever needed a tow home it seems the drivers all smoke ( must be a job requirement..lol). Right when i get in the truck i ask if they smoke and when they say " yes, do you want a cigarette?" i nicely tell them "no thank you i was actually hoping you wouldnt smoke because i am allergic to it". Never had one argue with me or even question me about it.
I feel the same as Kelli, I dont like or even feel i have a right to tell someone what to do in their home or vehicle, but i do have to do whats best for me.

Diane

I always move away from my friends when they light up. Most of them will actually move away from me, but sometimes they are upwind and the smoke comes right to me.If they notice it they move, if they dont then i either tell them or i just move.
What was always a problem for me was....Tow trucks. Anytime i ever needed a tow home it seems the drivers all smoke ( must be a job requirement..lol). Right when i get in the truck i ask if they smoke and when they say " yes, do you want a cigarette?" i nicely tell them "no thank you i was actually hoping you wouldnt smoke because i am allergic to it". Never had one argue with me or even question me about it.
I feel the same as Kelli, I dont like or even feel i have a right to tell someone what to do in their home or vehicle, but i do have to do whats best for me.

Diane

Diane

Diane

<br />What was always a problem for me was....Tow trucks. Anytime i ever needed a tow home it seems the drivers all smoke ( must be a job requirement..lol). Right when i get in the truck i ask if they smoke and when they say " yes, do you want a cigarette?" i nicely tell them "no thank you i was actually hoping you wouldnt smoke because i am allergic to it". Never had one argue with me or even question me about it.
<br /> I feel the same as Kelli, I dont like or even feel i have a right to tell someone what to do in their home or vehicle, but i do have to do whats best for me.

Mockingbird

What I really hate is when I'm walking down the sidewalk and there's someone walking in front of me with a cigarette. I try to slow down so they will get far enough ahead so it doesn't bother me, or if they're close enough I might try to speed-walk past them.

What really bugs me is how smokers will light a cigarette, and then they won't smoke it; they'll just hold it in their hand. I understand they want to savor it or enjoy it, or whatever, but their prolonged joy is our prolonged misery.

Anyway, whenever I'm around smokers I try to be upwind if them, if possible. Even when I'm around people i don't know (like waiting at a bus stop), I'll try to remain upwind of everyone just in case someone decides to light up.

Mockingbird

What I really hate is when I'm walking down the sidewalk and there's someone walking in front of me with a cigarette. I try to slow down so they will get far enough ahead so it doesn't bother me, or if they're close enough I might try to speed-walk past them.

What really bugs me is how smokers will light a cigarette, and then they won't smoke it; they'll just hold it in their hand. I understand they want to savor it or enjoy it, or whatever, but their prolonged joy is our prolonged misery.

Anyway, whenever I'm around smokers I try to be upwind if them, if possible. Even when I'm around people i don't know (like waiting at a bus stop), I'll try to remain upwind of everyone just in case someone decides to light up.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

<br />
<br />What really bugs me is how smokers will light a cigarette, and then they won't smoke it; they'll just hold it in their hand. I understand they want to savor it or enjoy it, or whatever, but their prolonged joy is our prolonged misery.
<br />
<br />Anyway, whenever I'm around smokers I try to be upwind if them, if possible. Even when I'm around people i don't know (like waiting at a bus stop), I'll try to remain upwind of everyone just in case someone decides to light up.