son's friend's parents smoke

anonymous

Don't confuse the odor of smoke with the particulants in the air from smoke. A smokey odor doesn't harm someone with CF and can stick around long after actual smoke particulants are gone. I inherited some books of my parents who died 10 years ago. The books haven't been near smoke since then but they still smell. Same is true of fabric which acts like a sponge for odors.

Everyone needs to do what they think is best for their kids. Still it's nice to do it based on some scientific/factual basis and not just on emotion.

Which is why I think even if the friend's parents DO smoke in the house (and you don't know yet that they do), then if they agree to really air the house out before your son comes over and not smoke in the house while he's there, your son would be OK. If you say your son can't ever go to his friend's house, you're basically saying he has to give up this friendship. A friendship needs give and take and if he can never do things with his friend and his family, well.....

anonymous

Don't confuse the odor of smoke with the particulants in the air from smoke. A smokey odor doesn't harm someone with CF and can stick around long after actual smoke particulants are gone. I inherited some books of my parents who died 10 years ago. The books haven't been near smoke since then but they still smell. Same is true of fabric which acts like a sponge for odors.

Everyone needs to do what they think is best for their kids. Still it's nice to do it based on some scientific/factual basis and not just on emotion.

Which is why I think even if the friend's parents DO smoke in the house (and you don't know yet that they do), then if they agree to really air the house out before your son comes over and not smoke in the house while he's there, your son would be OK. If you say your son can't ever go to his friend's house, you're basically saying he has to give up this friendship. A friendship needs give and take and if he can never do things with his friend and his family, well.....

JoAnn

Thanks for all of your input. I have gathered more information. The parents both smoke in the house and in the cars. I talked to Jason and I will be talking to the parents. Most likely, he will be playing outside at their house and they can always play at our house. Jason was fine with that and thought that would be a good thing to do. If for any reason the parents take offence, then that is a chance we will have to take.

JoAnn

Thanks for all of your input. I have gathered more information. The parents both smoke in the house and in the cars. I talked to Jason and I will be talking to the parents. Most likely, he will be playing outside at their house and they can always play at our house. Jason was fine with that and thought that would be a good thing to do. If for any reason the parents take offence, then that is a chance we will have to take.

anonymous

When DS was first diagnosed as a newborn, his doctor pretty much told us that he shouldn't even be around people who smoke because what you smell is actually particles of smoke. We're really not around many smokers, I tend to think of the people who just REEK of smoke -- the ones who borrow a book and it comes back smelling like an ash tray. The ones who just make your nose hurt when you get near them and catch a whiff. Liza

anonymous

When DS was first diagnosed as a newborn, his doctor pretty much told us that he shouldn't even be around people who smoke because what you smell is actually particles of smoke. We're really not around many smokers, I tend to think of the people who just REEK of smoke -- the ones who borrow a book and it comes back smelling like an ash tray. The ones who just make your nose hurt when you get near them and catch a whiff. Liza