spirometry

Jeana

Recently, my CF doctor has requested that all his patients stand during spirometry. Is there a difference in FEV1 between sitting and standing? Is standing the new norm? What does your doc ask you to do?

Jeana

Recently, my CF doctor has requested that all his patients stand during spirometry. Is there a difference in FEV1 between sitting and standing? Is standing the new norm? What does your doc ask you to do?

Jeana

Incomudrox

No one has ever told me to do anything, I do what I want when i go lol. However I have always stood, they say oh most people sit down. I said well I'm not most people. I don't see how you can take advantage of your full capability sitting down. So to answer your question, I stand always.

Incomudrox

No one has ever told me to do anything, I do what I want when i go lol. However I have always stood, they say oh most people sit down. I said well I'm not most people. I don't see how you can take advantage of your full capability sitting down. So to answer your question, I stand always.

Incomudrox

nmw0615

I've almost always done mine sitting, and usually have better numbers that way. I feel a little more relaxed and less nervous that way.

nmw0615

I've almost always done mine sitting, and usually have better numbers that way. I feel a little more relaxed and less nervous that way.

nmw0615

LouLou

I believe most clinics have a requirement ...sort of like when you get weighed in either you are allowed to keep your shoes on or not.

Mine requires shoes off and standing pfts. The last clinic required sitting.
While we are talking about creating standardized data....you should schedule your appts for approx the same time of day. Some women take it as far as scheduling at the same time of the month cycle wise. Also, you should be consistant with your normal medical routine on your day of the appt. Albuterol at your normal time, etc.

LouLou

I believe most clinics have a requirement ...sort of like when you get weighed in either you are allowed to keep your shoes on or not.

Mine requires shoes off and standing pfts. The last clinic required sitting.
While we are talking about creating standardized data....you should schedule your appts for approx the same time of day. Some women take it as far as scheduling at the same time of the month cycle wise. Also, you should be consistant with your normal medical routine on your day of the appt. Albuterol at your normal time, etc.

B

BikerEd

I prefer sitting. I have a tendency to blow till I see spots and get lightheaded. Also I feel the ability to lean forward without losing my balance gives me the perception I am charging head first into battle. Really I sit on the edge of the chair on leg back one leg forward, kind of like a football stance, and I'm real serious about it. Now that I think about it I probably look crazy or stupid but it works for me.

B

BikerEd

I prefer sitting. I have a tendency to blow till I see spots and get lightheaded. Also I feel the ability to lean forward without losing my balance gives me the perception I am charging head first into battle. Really I sit on the edge of the chair on leg back one leg forward, kind of like a football stance, and I'm real serious about it. Now that I think about it I probably look crazy or stupid but it works for me.

D

Deb

Interesting question. When we adults were included in the pediatric clinic I always stood. Then we finally got an adult clinic and I think that is when they had us sit. I think I will ask if I can stand next time. I think I would do better. Although like someone else mentioned I exhale so hard that I get a sharp pain in the back of my neck and they are always afraid I am going to pass out.