staph vs. pseudomonas

Juliet

There are many varieties of Staph. The report Tammy cited above is for MRSA which is basically resistant to methicillin based ABX. I've cultured Staph Aureus since the 1980s. SA is often treatable with oral ABX. (You have to check your culture sensitivities report to know what it's susceptible to). Of late they've had me on Bactrim. But over the years I've had all sorts of oral ABX for my recurring 'lung crud'. I used to have Penicillin a lot as a kid. I have bronchectasis (and was DXd with that in the 80s as well). I've never had PA. PA like MRSA is also tough to treat with ABX.

Personally, I'd rather have Staph Aureus than MRSA or PA because at least it is more susceptible with ABX when it flares up... even if one can't fully eradicate it. I just hope that being good about taking my ABX as prescribed and switching types often enough is going to help to keep it from mutating into MRSA or worse. ~Juliet

Juliet

There are many varieties of Staph. The report Tammy cited above is for MRSA which is basically resistant to methicillin based ABX. I've cultured Staph Aureus since the 1980s. SA is often treatable with oral ABX. (You have to check your culture sensitivities report to know what it's susceptible to). Of late they've had me on Bactrim. But over the years I've had all sorts of oral ABX for my recurring 'lung crud'. I used to have Penicillin a lot as a kid. I have bronchectasis (and was DXd with that in the 80s as well). I've never had PA. PA like MRSA is also tough to treat with ABX.

Personally, I'd rather have Staph Aureus than MRSA or PA because at least it is more susceptible with ABX when it flares up... even if one can't fully eradicate it. I just hope that being good about taking my ABX as prescribed and switching types often enough is going to help to keep it from mutating into MRSA or worse. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

<br />
<br />Personally, I'd rather have Staph Aureus than MRSA or PA because at least it is more susceptible with ABX when it flares up... even if one can't fully eradicate it. I just hope that being good about taking my ABX as prescribed and switching types often enough is going to help to keep it from mutating into MRSA or worse. ~Juliet

M

mneville

Thanks Sharon. I think that is SUCH important info. I asked my son's CF doctor to consider Bactrim for Aidan's constant Staph. He was resistant; one reason being the sun sensitivity thing. I finally convinced him to be put on Zithro three times a week so we are currently doing that. Is Sophia now on Bactrim? Is it all the time?

Megan, mom to Aidan and Gavin

M

mneville

Thanks Sharon. I think that is SUCH important info. I asked my son's CF doctor to consider Bactrim for Aidan's constant Staph. He was resistant; one reason being the sun sensitivity thing. I finally convinced him to be put on Zithro three times a week so we are currently doing that. Is Sophia now on Bactrim? Is it all the time?

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan, mom to Aidan and Gavin

NYCLawGirl

Just to add to the discussion here, I culture both PA and Staph Aureus, and have had both for years and years. I agree with the consensous here that one is not necessarily any better or worse than the other, but I also want to add that Staph is not a guarantee against PA by any stretch. Not treating something potentially damaging on the off chance that it might protect against another bug is, in my opinion, pretty risky.

That said, I had PA first, so I'm not saying that Staph might not have some preventative value. I just know they can coexist, and often do in many CF patients.

NYCLawGirl

Just to add to the discussion here, I culture both PA and Staph Aureus, and have had both for years and years. I agree with the consensous here that one is not necessarily any better or worse than the other, but I also want to add that Staph is not a guarantee against PA by any stretch. Not treating something potentially damaging on the off chance that it might protect against another bug is, in my opinion, pretty risky.

That said, I had PA first, so I'm not saying that Staph might not have some preventative value. I just know they can coexist, and often do in many CF patients.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />That said, I had PA first, so I'm not saying that Staph might not have some preventative value. I just know they can coexist, and often do in many CF patients.

M

Mommafirst

Thanks for this information, Sharon. I really appreciate this different perspective, it gives me a lot to research and talk to our doctor about. I'm sorry it comes from the experience of your daughter's lung damage though.

I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??

M

Mommafirst

Thanks for this information, Sharon. I really appreciate this different perspective, it gives me a lot to research and talk to our doctor about. I'm sorry it comes from the experience of your daughter's lung damage though.

I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??