staph vs. pseudomonas

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Interesting the way different clinics choose to treat different bugs. DS cultured H. Influenza as a baby, but his clinic never treated it -- it since has gone away when he started his zithromax at 2 1/2.

Last year he cultured Steno Malt and the local clinic indicated they don't usually treat it -- didn't say why; however, his primary CF doctor put him on Septra, which he's now on for the long run.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Interesting the way different clinics choose to treat different bugs. DS cultured H. Influenza as a baby, but his clinic never treated it -- it since has gone away when he started his zithromax at 2 1/2.

Last year he cultured Steno Malt and the local clinic indicated they don't usually treat it -- didn't say why; however, his primary CF doctor put him on Septra, which he's now on for the long run.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Last year he cultured Steno Malt and the local clinic indicated they don't usually treat it -- didn't say why; however, his primary CF doctor put him on Septra, which he's now on for the long run.

T

tammykrumrey

Heather,

I agree, all this does seem to get contradictory.

Both of my daughters cultures Staph before anything else. Then it went on to MRSA and/or Staph. The theory that Staph keeps PA away, as Piper said, is a stretch. Hannah has cultured PA three times, AFTER culturing Staph.

And I do tend to think Hannah has no major lung involvement because her X-rays are perfect and she hardly ever coughs. But, her PFTs are 90% at 8 years old, so even though it is a good number, it could better (it has been better). So, I guess you could in all reality say that she does have lung involvement b/c she is culturing 'bugs' that are found primarily in people with cystic fibrosis.

T

tammykrumrey

Heather,

Both of my daughters cultures Staph before anything else. Then it went on to MRSA and/or Staph. The theory that Staph keeps PA away, as Piper said, is a stretch. Hannah has cultured PA three times, AFTER culturing Staph.

And I do tend to think Hannah has no major lung involvement because her X-rays are perfect and she hardly ever coughs. But, her PFTs are 90% at 8 years old, so even though it is a good number, it could better (it has been better). So, I guess you could in all reality say that she does have lung involvement b/c she is culturing 'bugs' that are found primarily in people with cystic fibrosis.

T

tammykrumrey

Heather,

T

tammykrumrey

Heather,

T

tammykrumrey

Heather,
<br />
<br />I agree, all this does seem to get contradictory.
<br />
<br />Both of my daughters cultures Staph before anything else. Then it went on to MRSA and/or Staph. The theory that Staph keeps PA away, as Piper said, is a stretch. Hannah has cultured PA three times, AFTER culturing Staph.
<br />
<br />And I do tend to think Hannah has no major lung involvement because her X-rays are perfect and she hardly ever coughs. But, her PFTs are 90% at 8 years old, so even though it is a good number, it could better (it has been better). So, I guess you could in all reality say that she does have lung involvement b/c she is culturing 'bugs' that are found primarily in people with cystic fibrosis.
<br />
<br />

Sakem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommafirst</b></i>

Thanks for this information, Sharon. I really appreciate this different perspective, it gives me a lot to research and talk to our doctor about. I'm sorry it comes from the experience of your daughter's lung damage though.

I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??</end quote></div>

I don't think culturing staph is always related to lung involvement, nor way bad. A lot of people with out CF can culture staph, it is everywhere. I also say this because my son has always cultured staph, but 2 bronchs found NO bugs of anything. I truly believe his staph is cultured from post nasal drip from his sinuses which r a mess. But I think it is important to stay on top of, cause this staph can go into his lungs

Sakem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommafirst</b></i>

Thanks for this information, Sharon. I really appreciate this different perspective, it gives me a lot to research and talk to our doctor about. I'm sorry it comes from the experience of your daughter's lung damage though.

I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??</end quote></div>

I don't think culturing staph is always related to lung involvement, nor way bad. A lot of people with out CF can culture staph, it is everywhere. I also say this because my son has always cultured staph, but 2 bronchs found NO bugs of anything. I truly believe his staph is cultured from post nasal drip from his sinuses which r a mess. But I think it is important to stay on top of, cause this staph can go into his lungs

Sakem

Sakem

I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??</end quote>

Sakem

<br />
<br />Thanks for this information, Sharon. I really appreciate this different perspective, it gives me a lot to research and talk to our doctor about. I'm sorry it comes from the experience of your daughter's lung damage though.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I have a question . . . I hope it doesn't sound too naive... Does culturing Staph (or any other CF bug) mean the patient necessarily has lung involvement? I ask because I find it a bit contradictory that my daughter is "chronically cultured" with staph (docs words, not mine) and yet a bronchoscopy revealed NO indication of lung involvement yet. Does one have nothing to do with the other??</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />I don't think culturing staph is always related to lung involvement, nor way bad. A lot of people with out CF can culture staph, it is everywhere. I also say this because my son has always cultured staph, but 2 bronchs found NO bugs of anything. I truly believe his staph is cultured from post nasal drip from his sinuses which r a mess. But I think it is important to stay on top of, cause this staph can go into his lungs
<br />