Statistically at what FEV1 level is transplant observed?

Grendel

My question is specific in that since the new Tx selection process what are the statistics of when a CFer gets a Tx. Usually at what FEV1 level, has it been observed, does a CF patient get a Tx? Is it usually at FEV1 levels of 8%, 15%, 22%? I am well aware that at around 30% you get vetted to be on the Transplant List, though as the list works you can't get a Tx till your lungs get bad enough that you get pushed to the top of the recipient list. I am not interested in how long it takes once you are on the list, just what the average FEV1 is upon getting the Tx-surgery.

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

My question is specific in that since the new Tx selection process what are the statistics of when a CFer gets a Tx. Usually at what FEV1 level, has it been observed, does a CF patient get a Tx? Is it usually at FEV1 levels of 8%, 15%, 22%? I am well aware that at around 30% you get vetted to be on the Transplant List, though as the list works you can't get a Tx till your lungs get bad enough that you get pushed to the top of the recipient list. I am not interested in how long it takes once you are on the list, just what the average FEV1 is upon getting the Tx-surgery.

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

<br />
<br />Thanks.
<br />Grendel

Wheezie

You might consider posting this question in the transplant section, too. My guess is that it varies widely from one person to the next. At my cf center, they will refer a patient for transplant when their FEV1 is consistently at 30% or lower, but once a person is listed, there are so many factors that play into when they actually get their transplant. If a person is on the list for a year, for example, their FEV1 could be much lower at time of transplant than say someone who is only waiting on the list for 2 weeks.

Wheezie

You might consider posting this question in the transplant section, too. My guess is that it varies widely from one person to the next. At my cf center, they will refer a patient for transplant when their FEV1 is consistently at 30% or lower, but once a person is listed, there are so many factors that play into when they actually get their transplant. If a person is on the list for a year, for example, their FEV1 could be much lower at time of transplant than say someone who is only waiting on the list for 2 weeks.

Wheezie

Wheezie

Wheezie

Skye

Wheezy is correct, they usually will refer around 30%. That being said, there are so many other factors and everyone is so different. There are many people who do well for a long time in that 30% category. They look at things like antibiotic resistance, number of hospitalizations, quality of life, full-time oxygen dependency, percipitously sloping FEV1 (a dramatic drop), weight loss, coughing blood, pulmonary hypertension (how hard is the heart having to work). You really can't make a blanket statement and say that the average time of tx is at ----% because there are just too many other factors involved. Hope this helped. Maybe someone else has a better "research" answer for you.

Karen

Skye

Wheezy is correct, they usually will refer around 30%. That being said, there are so many other factors and everyone is so different. There are many people who do well for a long time in that 30% category. They look at things like antibiotic resistance, number of hospitalizations, quality of life, full-time oxygen dependency, percipitously sloping FEV1 (a dramatic drop), weight loss, coughing blood, pulmonary hypertension (how hard is the heart having to work). You really can't make a blanket statement and say that the average time of tx is at ----% because there are just too many other factors involved. Hope this helped. Maybe someone else has a better "research" answer for you.

Karen

Skye

Karen

Skye

Karen

Skye

<br />
<br />Karen

jfarel

Yes. When I was at 30 percent they didn't mention it. But I was back in the hospital on IV's for the 2nd time in two months w/ fev1 now below 28 percent and they mentioned it.

30 percent is the gen. rule of thumb. I personally think Dr's should bring up the possibility that a tx may be in the patients future as soon as they hit 50 percent. I didn't know anything about it until a couple years ago.

jfarel

Yes. When I was at 30 percent they didn't mention it. But I was back in the hospital on IV's for the 2nd time in two months w/ fev1 now below 28 percent and they mentioned it.

30 percent is the gen. rule of thumb. I personally think Dr's should bring up the possibility that a tx may be in the patients future as soon as they hit 50 percent. I didn't know anything about it until a couple years ago.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

<br />
<br />30 percent is the gen. rule of thumb. I personally think Dr's should bring up the possibility that a tx may be in the patients future as soon as they hit 50 percent. I didn't know anything about it until a couple years ago.