Strange genetic test results

antonette1279

Well my son had a genetic test done to determine if in fact he has CF....The results I got are as follows...."He has a low to moderate probability of having CF so we have to do a sweat test AGAIN" Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the genetic testing to see if he has the gene or not? How can it be MAYBE he has it?? I am so confused and upset

antonette1279

Well my son had a genetic test done to determine if in fact he has CF....The results I got are as follows...."He has a low to moderate probability of having CF so we have to do a sweat test AGAIN" Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the genetic testing to see if he has the gene or not? How can it be MAYBE he has it?? I am so confused and upset

antonette1279

antonette1279

antonette1279

M

Mommy2Zeke

There are still some mutations that we don't know a whole lot about. That may be what they are referring to. I would specifically ask them to give you the mutation names and then ask Steven from Ambry about them. You need to speak to a geneticist if you have questions, and Steven is certainly helpful in knowing about CF mutations. Or seek out a local geneticist if you can.

M

Mommy2Zeke

There are still some mutations that we don't know a whole lot about. That may be what they are referring to. I would specifically ask them to give you the mutation names and then ask Steven from Ambry about them. You need to speak to a geneticist if you have questions, and Steven is certainly helpful in knowing about CF mutations. Or seek out a local geneticist if you can.

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

Also, was this an initial CF panel or was this an amplified test?

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

antonette1279

To be completly honest I dont know exactly what they did...they said they tested for about 90 mutations...I just left it in their hands and trusted they knew what they were doing...i am over stressed and crying all night over not knowing what is wrong with our little boy

antonette1279

To be completly honest I dont know exactly what they did...they said they tested for about 90 mutations...I just left it in their hands and trusted they knew what they were doing...i am over stressed and crying all night over not knowing what is wrong with our little boy

antonette1279

antonette1279

antonette1279