Suggestions for easing a cough?

Marie2

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to ease a cough? My daughter coughed so hard last night she threw up. She was in the hospital for 5 weeks in the spring so of course I am over cautious now. I took her to the ER at 3am. Her chest xray was normal. They took a throat culture, but of course it won't be back for several days. Meanwhile, she is down the hall coughing her little heart out. Thanks - Marie

Marie2

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to ease a cough? My daughter coughed so hard last night she threw up. She was in the hospital for 5 weeks in the spring so of course I am over cautious now. I took her to the ER at 3am. Her chest xray was normal. They took a throat culture, but of course it won't be back for several days. Meanwhile, she is down the hall coughing her little heart out. Thanks - Marie

Marie2

Marie2

Marie2

M

Mommafirst

I don't know -- this would probably be a good question for the adults who have dealt with this most of their lives. I know when I am sick with bronchitis, I need to be upright to stop coughing. Laying down makes it so much worse. So I prop myself with a dozen pillows and sleep on my back.

M

Mommafirst

I don't know -- this would probably be a good question for the adults who have dealt with this most of their lives. I know when I am sick with bronchitis, I need to be upright to stop coughing. Laying down makes it so much worse. So I prop myself with a dozen pillows and sleep on my back.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Are you giving her albuterol treatments and Chest PT/VEST? I would try to do as much airway clearance as possible to help her clear whatever is making her cough. Also don't do it too close to her eating.. I push fluids like crazy on my daughter with CF; I think it helps thin the mucus. I would call the doc if it keeps happening; may be when her culture comes back she needs antibiotics to kick the cough.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Are you giving her albuterol treatments and Chest PT/VEST? I would try to do as much airway clearance as possible to help her clear whatever is making her cough. Also don't do it too close to her eating.. I push fluids like crazy on my daughter with CF; I think it helps thin the mucus. I would call the doc if it keeps happening; may be when her culture comes back she needs antibiotics to kick the cough.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last time DS coughed and vomited, he had bronchitis and needed antibiotics. We were already doing 4 cpt/neb treatments a day. IMO, call the doctor. Meanwhile, increase CPT and nebs if you haven't already, push liquids..

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last time DS coughed and vomited, he had bronchitis and needed antibiotics. We were already doing 4 cpt/neb treatments a day. IMO, call the doctor. Meanwhile, increase CPT and nebs if you haven't already, push liquids..

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member