Sweart test results are 31

cbcmom

Received the results of my daughters sweat test today. They were a 31. Haven't talked to her pulmo, and not scheduled to see her again until Oct.26. Do you think 31 is high enough to push for more testing if it is not suggested by her doctor? The poor kid has been sick about every three weeks for 11 years now.

What would a "healthy" persons sweat test results be? Thanks again for everyones help! T

cbcmom

Received the results of my daughters sweat test today. They were a 31. Haven't talked to her pulmo, and not scheduled to see her again until Oct.26. Do you think 31 is high enough to push for more testing if it is not suggested by her doctor? The poor kid has been sick about every three weeks for 11 years now.

What would a "healthy" persons sweat test results be? Thanks again for everyones help! T

cbcmom

cbcmom

cbcmom

M

Mommafirst

Depending on where you read it, borderline is either 30-60 or 40-60. So by those numbers, under 30 is considered negative. I think a 31 is elevated enough to ask for additional testing. There are people on this board with less than that and still had CF genes. Good luck, you deserve some answers.

M

Mommafirst

Depending on where you read it, borderline is either 30-60 or 40-60. So by those numbers, under 30 is considered negative. I think a 31 is elevated enough to ask for additional testing. There are people on this board with less than that and still had CF genes. Good luck, you deserve some answers.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Alyssa

Unfortunately -- yes, I think you should continue to push for full genetic testing. Too many people on here with sweat tests in the 20's and 30's -- I think it would be irresponsible for an experienced CF doctor to not want to pursue testing.

The key phrase here may be "A-Typical CF". Tell the doctor you want to rule out CF - even though "the chart" says it is in the normal range, in my book it's still elevated -- the sweat chloride channels are still not functioning quite right if she's up that high. I think the people who really get a clear "negative" are the one's with single digit numbers.

I have seen people respond on this board, who have confirmed genetic results say their sweat test number is as low as 14, most reporting in the 20's and 30's.

You may have already told us this but I don't remember who is who anymore - there are so many new mothers on here in similar situations right now.... was the sweat test done at an accredited CF facility? Is the doctor you are scheduled to see in October a Pulmonologist at an accredited CF facility? You can find out if you are at a CFF center by going to www.cff.org and clicking on find a chapter then find a facility, then type in your zip code.

It's a tough spot to be in - I'm sorry to hear you are there. Please keep us posted.

Alyssa

Unfortunately -- yes, I think you should continue to push for full genetic testing. Too many people on here with sweat tests in the 20's and 30's -- I think it would be irresponsible for an experienced CF doctor to not want to pursue testing.

The key phrase here may be "A-Typical CF". Tell the doctor you want to rule out CF - even though "the chart" says it is in the normal range, in my book it's still elevated -- the sweat chloride channels are still not functioning quite right if she's up that high. I think the people who really get a clear "negative" are the one's with single digit numbers.

I have seen people respond on this board, who have confirmed genetic results say their sweat test number is as low as 14, most reporting in the 20's and 30's.

You may have already told us this but I don't remember who is who anymore - there are so many new mothers on here in similar situations right now.... was the sweat test done at an accredited CF facility? Is the doctor you are scheduled to see in October a Pulmonologist at an accredited CF facility? You can find out if you are at a CFF center by going to www.cff.org and clicking on find a chapter then find a facility, then type in your zip code.

It's a tough spot to be in - I'm sorry to hear you are there. Please keep us posted.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

okok

While it is possible to be perfectly healthy and have a sweat chloride in the 30's, i have read that around 23% of people with a sweat chloride above 30 have two CFTR mutations. To sum up, i agree with others push for more testing.

okok

While it is possible to be perfectly healthy and have a sweat chloride in the 30's, i have read that around 23% of people with a sweat chloride above 30 have two CFTR mutations. To sum up, i agree with others push for more testing.

okok

okok

okok