Sweat Retest Results

meaniejean

So we received the results this morning of my son's second sweat test - the nurse said the results were 4 and 5. Okay - so last test 2 weeks ago was 28 and 30. This is the same certified CF center testing site. Now I should probably state that when this test was being done, the woman said, oops there is still some water on that - let me get that off ... and then there was some issue with the electrode part where she didn't hear the beep and we had to do it again ... should I trust these results??? I kind of do, because the doc and I both don't really think this is his issue.

Does anyone know what can cause such extremely different results. This sweat test thing sure doesn't seem very reliable to me.
Thanks!

meaniejean

So we received the results this morning of my son's second sweat test - the nurse said the results were 4 and 5. Okay - so last test 2 weeks ago was 28 and 30. This is the same certified CF center testing site. Now I should probably state that when this test was being done, the woman said, oops there is still some water on that - let me get that off ... and then there was some issue with the electrode part where she didn't hear the beep and we had to do it again ... should I trust these results??? I kind of do, because the doc and I both don't really think this is his issue.

Does anyone know what can cause such extremely different results. This sweat test thing sure doesn't seem very reliable to me.
Thanks!

meaniejean

Thanks!

meaniejean

Thanks!

meaniejean

<br />
<br />Does anyone know what can cause such extremely different results. This sweat test thing sure doesn't seem very reliable to me.
<br />Thanks!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds odd. I would push for genetic blood testing. My son's was done at an accredditted CF facility as well and was a normal 32.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds odd. I would push for genetic blood testing. My son's was done at an accredditted CF facility as well and was a normal 32.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

saveferris2009

Sweat tests are unreliable and quite useless in my opinion.

Get a Full Panel Ambry Amplified genetic test to ensure your son is tested for all known CF mutations.

Accept nothing less because panels that tests for less genes leave the possibility that your son could have CF still...

take care.

saveferris2009

Get a Full Panel Ambry Amplified genetic test to ensure your son is tested for all known CF mutations.

Accept nothing less because panels that tests for less genes leave the possibility that your son could have CF still...

take care.

saveferris2009

take care.

saveferris2009

take care.

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />Get a Full Panel Ambry Amplified genetic test to ensure your son is tested for all known CF mutations.
<br />
<br />Accept nothing less because panels that tests for less genes leave the possibility that your son could have CF still...
<br />
<br />take care.

M

Mommafirst

In my opinion, one of the two days was an error. If there were visible cues of error on the second one, don't let this lie. If you have reason to believe that the first time was the error and the second time everything was done perfectly by the book, then maybe its okay. Certainly a 4 and 5 if legit would be pretty likely to NOT be CF.

What do you mean it still had water on it?? On what?? From what?? Water could easily dilute sweat and make it appear much less salt concentrated.

M

Mommafirst

In my opinion, one of the two days was an error. If there were visible cues of error on the second one, don't let this lie. If you have reason to believe that the first time was the error and the second time everything was done perfectly by the book, then maybe its okay. Certainly a 4 and 5 if legit would be pretty likely to NOT be CF.

What do you mean it still had water on it?? On what?? From what?? Water could easily dilute sweat and make it appear much less salt concentrated.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />What do you mean it still had water on it?? On what?? From what?? Water could easily dilute sweat and make it appear much less salt concentrated.