sweat test results

schmaeng04

My son has only had a few recurrent pneumonias and sinus issues. Due to my husband's family history of Cf and also my son's pneumonias, I asked that he be further evaluated and tested for CF. His first sweat test result was 40 and then they did a repeat and it was inconclusive because he didn't sweat enough. They then drew his blood and sent it off for genetic testing and he has the genes delta f508 and r117h, which means he has CF. He has atypical symptoms and doesn't fit in the "classic cf group" if there really is one... it's still pretty much the same treatments and worries. Good luck!
Leslie

It's best to find out so treatment can be started sooner and the quality of life can be better for you and your loved ones.

Good luck!

schmaeng04

My son has only had a few recurrent pneumonias and sinus issues. Due to my husband's family history of Cf and also my son's pneumonias, I asked that he be further evaluated and tested for CF. His first sweat test result was 40 and then they did a repeat and it was inconclusive because he didn't sweat enough. They then drew his blood and sent it off for genetic testing and he has the genes delta f508 and r117h, which means he has CF. He has atypical symptoms and doesn't fit in the "classic cf group" if there really is one... it's still pretty much the same treatments and worries. Good luck!
Leslie

It's best to find out so treatment can be started sooner and the quality of life can be better for you and your loved ones.

Good luck!

schmaeng04

Leslie

Good luck!

schmaeng04

Leslie

Good luck!

schmaeng04

<br />Leslie
<br />
<br />It's best to find out so treatment can be started sooner and the quality of life can be better for you and your loved ones.
<br />
<br />Good luck!

Alyssa

<b>No, a sweat test cannot be a full genetic test... </b>there is a HUGE difference between the two.

A sweat test is just the collection of sweat off of the arm -- a genetic test is a blood draw.

Many docs like to start with the sweat test, since it's cheap and easy. When results come back clearly in the positive range it is a wonderful diagnostic tool. However, often times people test out in the normal or boardline area which causes a lot of confusion, delay and mis-diagnosis.

There is also a <b>HUGE</b> difference in genetic testing... a doctor can draw blood and tell you that they are doing "genetic testing" which they do... however they are really doing a screening -- testing for very very few CF genes. Soooooo many times people are told (only after they ask) that they were only tested for 97 or fewer genes. The reality is there are at least 1,561 CF genes to look for, testing for anything less is pointless.

So it is imperative that you know what tests were ordered and what the results were -- do not ask for simple positive negative.... ask for sweat test numbers and the number of genes that were tested for.

Alyssa

<b>No, a sweat test cannot be a full genetic test... </b>there is a HUGE difference between the two.

A sweat test is just the collection of sweat off of the arm -- a genetic test is a blood draw.

Many docs like to start with the sweat test, since it's cheap and easy. When results come back clearly in the positive range it is a wonderful diagnostic tool. However, often times people test out in the normal or boardline area which causes a lot of confusion, delay and mis-diagnosis.

There is also a <b>HUGE</b> difference in genetic testing... a doctor can draw blood and tell you that they are doing "genetic testing" which they do... however they are really doing a screening -- testing for very very few CF genes. Soooooo many times people are told (only after they ask) that they were only tested for 97 or fewer genes. The reality is there are at least 1,561 CF genes to look for, testing for anything less is pointless.

So it is imperative that you know what tests were ordered and what the results were -- do not ask for simple positive negative.... ask for sweat test numbers and the number of genes that were tested for.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />A sweat test is just the collection of sweat off of the arm -- a genetic test is a blood draw.
<br />
<br />Many docs like to start with the sweat test, since it's cheap and easy. When results come back clearly in the positive range it is a wonderful diagnostic tool. However, often times people test out in the normal or boardline area which causes a lot of confusion, delay and mis-diagnosis.
<br />
<br />There is also a <b>HUGE</b> difference in genetic testing... a doctor can draw blood and tell you that they are doing "genetic testing" which they do... however they are really doing a screening -- testing for very very few CF genes. Soooooo many times people are told (only after they ask) that they were only tested for 97 or fewer genes. The reality is there are at least 1,561 CF genes to look for, testing for anything less is pointless.
<br />
<br />So it is imperative that you know what tests were ordered and what the results were -- do not ask for simple positive negative.... ask for sweat test numbers and the number of genes that were tested for.

ljhwill

Thank you for the education. It is a bit distressing that the woman performing the sweat test answered my question by stating it was over a 1000 mutations that they were looking for...At the time, I didn't know better.

Also, how many mutations are they looking at in the newborn screening. I ask because my doctor said my son was screened in the hospital soon after giving birth and that something would have most likely shown up then.

ljhwill

Thank you for the education. It is a bit distressing that the woman performing the sweat test answered my question by stating it was over a 1000 mutations that they were looking for...At the time, I didn't know better.

Also, how many mutations are they looking at in the newborn screening. I ask because my doctor said my son was screened in the hospital soon after giving birth and that something would have most likely shown up then.

ljhwill

ljhwill

ljhwill

<br />
<br />Also, how many mutations are they looking at in the newborn screening. I ask because my doctor said my son was screened in the hospital soon after giving birth and that something would have most likely shown up then.

M

Mommafirst

From my understanding, the newborn screen doesn't test for mutations but rather for IRT levels. I could be wrong, as it differs state to state. The IRT test has a pretty small false negative rate, but its possible. If they tested mutations, I doubt they do more than look for the one most common.

M

Mommafirst

From my understanding, the newborn screen doesn't test for mutations but rather for IRT levels. I could be wrong, as it differs state to state. The IRT test has a pretty small false negative rate, but its possible. If they tested mutations, I doubt they do more than look for the one most common.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst