swimming as your main exercise routine

ej0820

hey all!

I was reading the previous post about exercise regimens and noticed some people are/used to be swimmers. I fall into the category of "used to be". I really want to get back into it but have since found it very difficult to breath in chlorinated areas. The last time I was in a pool (about 3 yrs ago) I remember swimming around (not seriously...I was splash fighting and racing with other ppl, not doing laps) and suddenly having a HUGE coughing fit. The coughing fit I think was just from cf, as it calmed down after 15 very productive minutes. However, once the coughing was better, I was still short of breath and coughing at the smell and feeling water logged of chlorine. This never used to happen to me when I was in high school or younger and am worried it'll start when I start jumping into a pool again. Does this happen to any of you guys and what do you do about it?

ej0820

hey all!

I was reading the previous post about exercise regimens and noticed some people are/used to be swimmers. I fall into the category of "used to be". I really want to get back into it but have since found it very difficult to breath in chlorinated areas. The last time I was in a pool (about 3 yrs ago) I remember swimming around (not seriously...I was splash fighting and racing with other ppl, not doing laps) and suddenly having a HUGE coughing fit. The coughing fit I think was just from cf, as it calmed down after 15 very productive minutes. However, once the coughing was better, I was still short of breath and coughing at the smell and feeling water logged of chlorine. This never used to happen to me when I was in high school or younger and am worried it'll start when I start jumping into a pool again. Does this happen to any of you guys and what do you do about it?

ej0820

hey all!

ej0820

hey all!

ej0820

hey all!
<br />
<br />I was reading the previous post about exercise regimens and noticed some people are/used to be swimmers. I fall into the category of "used to be". I really want to get back into it but have since found it very difficult to breath in chlorinated areas. The last time I was in a pool (about 3 yrs ago) I remember swimming around (not seriously...I was splash fighting and racing with other ppl, not doing laps) and suddenly having a HUGE coughing fit. The coughing fit I think was just from cf, as it calmed down after 15 very productive minutes. However, once the coughing was better, I was still short of breath and coughing at the smell and feeling water logged of chlorine. This never used to happen to me when I was in high school or younger and am worried it'll start when I start jumping into a pool again. Does this happen to any of you guys and what do you do about it?
<br />

JulieMelissa

I swim at a local hotel and it's a salt water pool not chlorine. I was always sensitive to that stuff but not too much, i don't know if it was the CF or nto though because I'm sensitive to perfume too. But check around your city and find out if there'ss any places that have switched to salt water (it's getting fairly popular now).

JulieMelissa

I swim at a local hotel and it's a salt water pool not chlorine. I was always sensitive to that stuff but not too much, i don't know if it was the CF or nto though because I'm sensitive to perfume too. But check around your city and find out if there'ss any places that have switched to salt water (it's getting fairly popular now).

JulieMelissa

JulieMelissa

JulieMelissa

chucklingj

I used to be on swim team prior to my high school years. It was great for my lungs. I just recently went to an indoor pool, full of chlorine I'm sure, and my lungs seemed ok. I have been wanting to get back into swimming for quite some time for workouts. I swam once while in college, and I felt like it was hard to breath. I was hesitant to try again, but since my recent visit went well, I'm going to try to keep that in my workout routine. I primarly run and walk on the treadmill. Just so you know, if you don't like running, walking at a fairly steep incline gives you a great workout.

I hope you can find a pool you can swim in. If not, please don't ever hesitate to try other things. Anything to keep you active is better than nothing!

chucklingj

I used to be on swim team prior to my high school years. It was great for my lungs. I just recently went to an indoor pool, full of chlorine I'm sure, and my lungs seemed ok. I have been wanting to get back into swimming for quite some time for workouts. I swam once while in college, and I felt like it was hard to breath. I was hesitant to try again, but since my recent visit went well, I'm going to try to keep that in my workout routine. I primarly run and walk on the treadmill. Just so you know, if you don't like running, walking at a fairly steep incline gives you a great workout.

I hope you can find a pool you can swim in. If not, please don't ever hesitate to try other things. Anything to keep you active is better than nothing!

chucklingj

chucklingj

chucklingj

<br />
<br />I hope you can find a pool you can swim in. If not, please don't ever hesitate to try other things. Anything to keep you active is better than nothing!

BaylorCrew07

I swam competitively for 11 years and never had an issue with my lungs; my doctor thinks that's what's kept them in such good shape.

I did have a lot of sinus problems; not sure if that was from the swimming though?

Anyways...it's a great way to keep your body & lungs healthy, and doesn't wear and tear on your joints like running does.

BaylorCrew07

I swam competitively for 11 years and never had an issue with my lungs; my doctor thinks that's what's kept them in such good shape.

I did have a lot of sinus problems; not sure if that was from the swimming though?

Anyways...it's a great way to keep your body & lungs healthy, and doesn't wear and tear on your joints like running does.

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />I did have a lot of sinus problems; not sure if that was from the swimming though?
<br />
<br />Anyways...it's a great way to keep your body & lungs healthy, and doesn't wear and tear on your joints like running does.