Swimming in lakes

nmw0615

Growing up, I swam in anything I possibly could. Rivers, lakes, ponds...you name it, I swam in it.
<br />
<br />I do have Pseudomonas now, but there's no way for me to say that I didn't get it from all that swimming. The only thing I know for sure is that getting a piece of wood stuck under your toenail is really painful. That's the most harm I can pinpoint on swimming in a lake.
<br />
<br />

rubyroselee

I grew up on a lake and it was the best! I would have never avoided the lake because of CF - there's just too much living to do to worry about the bacterias everywhere.

rubyroselee

I grew up on a lake and it was the best! I would have never avoided the lake because of CF - there's just too much living to do to worry about the bacterias everywhere.

rubyroselee

leestacy38

I haven't been to a lake and swim on the lake but If I have a chance I am doing it. I won't let any bacteria stop me from doing so. Just be careful in swimming and not swallow any water.
<br>
<br><br>

leestacy38

I haven't been to a lake and swim on the lake but If I have a chance I am doing it. I won't let any bacteria stop me from doing so. Just be careful in swimming and not swallow any water.
<br>
<br><br>

leestacy38

<br>
<br><br>

StraitLife

<P>I think everyone with CF has a different disease process that they deal with.  What does not affect one person, may be very harmful to another person.  That being said, my son has CF.  He has spent nearly every summer at the lake.  His sister (non-CF) had him out there teaching him how to knee board, tube, and snorkle.  I think they are both part fish.  We also had a swimming pool in our back yard.  They lived in it.  </P>
<P>I will admit that on many occasions I had to quell the panic attack I was having when he came up spewing water.  I had to hope for the best every time I watched him crash learning to knee board.  I tried not to think about what was lurking at the pool when they swam and dove for coins.  To alleviate my worry about it--I just made sure he took a treatment and did all the coughing he could possibly do.  </P>
<P>He is 18 now and still doing great.  He actually just went swimming in the pool with my son in law this week.  We get together most every weekend and those trips to the lake are usually one of the topics.  They are wonderful memories and worth every ounce of worry I went through when I see how happy it makes him to recall conquering knee boarding!  </P>

StraitLife

<P>I think everyone with CF has a different disease process that they deal with. What does not affect one person,may be very harmful to another person. That being said, my son has CF. He hasspent nearly every summerat the lake. His sister (non-CF)had him out there teaching him how toknee board, tube, and snorkle. I think they are bothpart fish. We also had a swimming pool in our back yard. Theylived in it. </P>
<P>I will admit that on many occasions I had to quell the panic attack I was having when he came up spewing water. I had to hope for the best every time Iwatched him crash learning to knee board. I tried not to think about what was lurking at the pool when they swam and dove for coins. To alleviate my worry about it--Ijustmade sure he took a treatment and did all the coughing he could possibly do. </P>
<P>He is 18 now and still doing great. He actually just went swimming in the pool with my son in law this week. We get together most every weekend and those trips to the lake are usually one of the topics. They are wonderful memories and worth every ounce of worry I went through when I see how happy it makes him to recall conquering knee boarding! </P>

StraitLife

<P><BR>I think everyone with CF has a different disease process that they deal with. What does not affect one person,may be very harmful to another person. That being said, my son has CF. He hasspent nearly every summerat the lake. His sister (non-CF)had him out there teaching him how toknee board, tube, and snorkle. I think they are bothpart fish. We also had a swimming pool in our back yard. Theylived in it. </P>
<P>I will admit that on many occasions I had to quell the panic attack I was having when he came up spewing water. I had to hope for the best every time Iwatched him crash learning to knee board. I tried not to think about what was lurking at the pool when they swam and dove for coins. To alleviate my worry about it--Ijustmade sure he took a treatment and did all the coughing he could possibly do. </P>
<P>He is 18 now and still doing great. He actually just went swimming in the pool with my son in law this week. We get together most every weekend and those trips to the lake are usually one of the topics. They are wonderful memories and worth every ounce of worry I went through when I see how happy it makes him to recall conquering knee boarding! </P>

N

ncyra399

I was fish when I was kid. Swimming in anything that I came in contact with. I was just fine. now that I am a double lung transplant recipient, I was told that I can only swim in "clean" lakes. So, if you are really concerned, you can always do research on whatever lake you are going to. But, my parents always let me do what I wanted to when I was growing up and I never got sick from a lake. Just my two cents. Good luck!

N

ncyra399

I was fish when I was kid. Swimming in anything that I came in contact with. I was just fine. now that I am a double lung transplant recipient, I was told that I can only swim in "clean" lakes. So, if you are really concerned, you can always do research on whatever lake you are going to. But, my parents always let me do what I wanted to when I was growing up and I never got sick from a lake. Just my two cents. Good luck!

N

ncyra399

DCson3

I currently work as the waterfront director at a lake in upstate NY. I've been swimming in lakes for years and have never had any problem with them but as I always tell the campers who use the lake, try not to ever let the water in your mouth, just in case.

DCson3

I currently work as the waterfront director at a lake in upstate NY. I've been swimming in lakes for years and have never had any problem with them but as I always tell the campers who use the lake, try not to ever let the water in your mouth, just in case.

DCson3

Printer

IF A POOL IS MAINTAINED PROPERLY, checked and adjusted regulary, it should be cleaner than drinking water. You can check this by compairing a glass of municipal water to a glass of pool water. Just hold both of them up to the light. Unfortunally most pools dont meet this standard.

Red Cross Water Safety Instructor

Bill

Printer

IF A POOL IS MAINTAINED PROPERLY, checked and adjusted regulary, it should be cleaner than drinking water. You can check this by compairing a glass of municipal water to a glass of pool water. Just hold both of them up to the light. Unfortunally most pools dont meet this standard.

Red Cross Water Safety Instructor

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
<br />
<br />Bill

azdesertrat

I just went swimming & kayaking in a local lake last Wed.
I've never jad any discussion with my DR regarding this subject; kinda a 'Don't ask, Don't tell' thing.
I think as long as you do you best to keep lake water from entering your body you should be OK.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is PA?
Enjoy your summer.