Tell me about ports

minimedic304

I got my port three years ago, when I was 25. I get iv meds usually every 6 months..the med port was the smartest thing i ever got

minimedic304

I got my port three years ago, when I was 25. I get iv meds usually every 6 months..the med port was the smartest thing i ever got

minimedic304

minimedic304

minimedic304

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My son got one two years ago. He was fighting a mycobacteria and was one IVs for 6 months. His PICC kept getting irritated, so they put in a port.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My son got one two years ago. He was fighting a mycobacteria and was one IVs for 6 months. His PICC kept getting irritated, so they put in a port.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

T

tarheel

I actually just got one like a month ago. So I remember really well and stuff. The port itself they put you under to put in, and that went okay and all. It was really tender for about the first week and a half afterwards, and for about the next 4 weeks I couldn't do the high frequency on the vest. For a while I had to do the "tree trunk" vest that just goes around your lower chest. Mine is below my left shoulder, like 4 in below the collar bone. Its great now, and running doesnt feel weird anymore (it did for awhile) It is a lot less limiting in terms of activity level and stuff. You can't see a lump, just a scar, but if you run your finger over it you can feel it. My friends think its really creepy to feel it. I love creeping them out when they ask what the scar is from, and i explain a little and tell them to feel under it. BTW- I still have a slight slight bruise, but its because I sleep on it. I slept on it right after I got it and it was accessed too. Accessing it is really easy and hurts less than getting blood drawn from your arm. As a comparison.But I think for me it was a really smart decision. I can stay in school when I need IV meds. I'm currently a sophmore in highschool. Also- side note- I had trouble with the underside of my arm reacting to all adhesive, but I do not have that trouble with my port area. FYI if youre allergic there too

T

tarheel

I actually just got one like a month ago. So I remember really well and stuff. The port itself they put you under to put in, and that went okay and all. It was really tender for about the first week and a half afterwards, and for about the next 4 weeks I couldn't do the high frequency on the vest. For a while I had to do the "tree trunk" vest that just goes around your lower chest. Mine is below my left shoulder, like 4 in below the collar bone. Its great now, and running doesnt feel weird anymore (it did for awhile) It is a lot less limiting in terms of activity level and stuff. You can't see a lump, just a scar, but if you run your finger over it you can feel it. My friends think its really creepy to feel it. I love creeping them out when they ask what the scar is from, and i explain a little and tell them to feel under it. BTW- I still have a slight slight bruise, but its because I sleep on it. I slept on it right after I got it and it was accessed too. Accessing it is really easy and hurts less than getting blood drawn from your arm. As a comparison.But I think for me it was a really smart decision. I can stay in school when I need IV meds. I'm currently a sophmore in highschool. Also- side note- I had trouble with the underside of my arm reacting to all adhesive, but I do not have that trouble with my port area. FYI if youre allergic there too

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

T

tarheel